JSB-123 Set for Inova XO3?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Has anybody ever purchased this set which includes two JSB-123 rechargeable batteries and a single place charger? How would it compare to surefires CR123 lithium's which I am currently running in my Inova XO3. The reason I ask is that I'm finding myself running through batteries fairly quickly and at 15 bucks for 12, I feel that in the long run it may pay off to spend 30 and have thousands of guilt free uses. What are the pluses and minuses?

DanK

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I've been on the same quest for a few months and have yet to find a *good* solution.

We can't use 4.2v rechargeables--they'll fry the regulation circuit in the X03.

We can use Pila 168s rechargeables, but they output a voltage too low to take advantage of full brightness and regulation. The light comes on less bright than with primaries and immediately begins a dimming curve.

I think that we could probably use the rechargeables that are limited to 3v max, but I can't find any in stock. Also, it is dangerous to discharge a lithium rechargeable past 2.7v so battery capacity and runtime would likely be dissapointing.

If you find out anything new about our mutual search, PM me. I'll do the same for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
HaulinLow said:I think that we could probably use the rechargeables that are limited to 3v max, but I can't find any in stock. Also, it is dangerous to discharge a lithium rechargeable past 2.7v so battery capacity and runtime would likely be dissapointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe (I don't own any) that the 3V JSB-123's will drain below 2.7V safely. Because they use a DC-DC step-down (transformers?) even when the battery would read 2.7V, the actual cell would be more like 3.4V, taking into account that the nominal voltage of a li-ion cell is 0.7V higher than the 3.0V the JSB cell starts at.

Again, I could be wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif; maybe someone who owns some would care to comment on how they work.

-Brad

Edit: Does anyone know at what voltage the "fairly aggressive protection circuit" kicks in while draining the battery?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bradlee, you exactly right on how these work...It is standard LI with a stepdown. What you read is not what is actually happening behind the circuit. 2.0 out = 2.5 internal 3.0 out = 3.7 internal and the nature of this cuts capacity as well.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
JSB: Have you considered making a 6V li ion battery in the 168s form factor for lights, such as the XO3 and T3, that don't work well with the 168s? Either two cells with a buck converter or one cell with a boost converter.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
enLIGHTenment,

I was going to do other batteries and could get this one done but I will not do it for the following reasons.

Its possible that someone is already doing this but am unsure.

The camera world will continue to try and develop the 3volt cell and if it gets perfected it will be more flexable than the cell you are talking about.

If no one is already working on this and financing the tooling, It is very difficult to compete with retailers in the country of manufacturer if the US dealer wants to follow all laws. I US dealer has to pay two levels of shipping, customs fees and customs broker fees when someone already in the country of origin can bypass all the fees except for the shipping fee to the customer. Other fees and expenses of being a regular business pushes costs higher.

If I had to pay to develop the product and it proved to be viable, there is no protection to try and gain from taking the risk. If I would have to develop this it becomes very expensive fast and I would likely never be able to recoup the cost.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
So has anyone used the JSB-123 set in an XO3? (I don't have an XO3 yet, but it's on my To Buy list.)

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
JonSidneyB, I'm assuming that I can use the same charger that I purchased from you with the 4.2v set of batteries because the circuit to limit the voltage to 3v is in the battery. If thats correct, I'll order a set for my X03. I remember reading that you use a pila 168s in your X03. Is there an advantage to that setup versus two 3v rechargeables?