holly molly scary stuff jet just flew over house

raggie33

*the raggedier*
a 4 engine jet just flew over my house was very low i hope nothing is wrong

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Raggie, I told you to be careful with that 230 lumen Luxeon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
now i think about it .it is probaly that ive never been here long enough to notice jets that low but man was it loudddddd. i though some one had a jet boat or something out

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: holly molly scary stuff jet just flew over hou

I've been freaked out by stuff like that. And actually 2 planes/jets have crashed in our city last year!! They were able to miss houses but crashed in thier back yards and exploded...

There used to be a lot of military black helicopters and jets flying over my house.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Raggie, I told you to be careful with that 230 lumen Luxeon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]ok photon now im totaly freaked out i just got to play with the red led the exact second ya made ya post i hooked it up to a pila lol for 2 second

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I was a kid (in the 50's), we lived in New Jersey, not far from Lakehurst Naval Air Station which was a bliimp station (I think the Hindenburg crashed there). A blimp would sometimes fly over the house REAL LOW and slow, like I could see the pilot smiling down at me and waving - maybe 80 feet off the ground.

Those things were huge. It would freak out our dog - who wasn't normally afraid of anything - completely.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Growing up I lived near a major airport. In the sixties my dad and mom would load us kids up in the car with a picnic basket and we would drive the 6 blocks to the airport. At that time you could pull up right next to the airport and park. No secure zones / high fences or armed guards, just a 10 foot tall chain link fence with a gravel road running all around the airport. My dad would the park the station wagon not one hundred feet from a runway and we would watch the assorted aircraft come in and out. Heck there was even a blimp hanger. The jets would be so close that as a little kid I felt that I could touch them. The jets were much noiser and spewed out all kinds of thick black smoke. We would lay on the hood of the old wagon and try to ID the aircraft and wonder were they we going or coming from. Nowdays it would be a national and parental security nightmare but back in the sixties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i used to live in marrietta ga we had dobins afb man it was so cool watching them figfher jets doing touch and goes.they just would take off fly this set area then land then piucky up spped and there off again .at least that how i recall it.now its got thease concrete things all over to keep truck oput or something.i miss it sometimes

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:

[/ QUOTE ]ok photon now im totaly freaked out i just got to play with the red led the exact second ya made ya post i hooked it up to a pila lol for 2 second

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful, Raggs, You could blow that thing (H2GH) quick on a Pila! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

With wife and kid(s) you still MIGHT be able to park near enough to watch planes.

Try to be someone like me who likes to take pics and has no wife or kids and try that stuff. Faster than you can say "goodbye" here comes a cop!

On occasion, a plane to or from Hobby would be pretty low and loud over our old house. Up here, if you hear a jet, it's WAY up there!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live inside that infamous "no fly" zone around DC. We had a "scare" a bit ago where a small plane flew into the restricted area and they launched the f-16 interceptor squad. They roared over my place at about 100 ft off the ground, full afterburners. All I could think was "oh God, here we go again".

This week they are doing one of the "simulations" at the Pentagon and "selected areas" but this time they've done a good job of announcing that the roleplayers and "victims" will all be wearing these bright orange shirts. We'll still have a percentage who didn't get the message and will freak!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Army airport here in town, they are always flying really big stuff in and out of their and the approach and landing go right over parts of town that I am most often driving around in. It's really interesting to watch. I don't believe they have ever crashed anything in town, but they did drop a hydrogen bomb out in the ocean not far away 50 years ago or so. thats actually a true urban legend. They just recently found it but haven't decided if they should try to recover it or not...

Scariest thing I've had fly over me was as I was driving the causeway out to the island here. I was actually heading into town and there was a small 2 seater type plane buzzing the marsh. there are some high tension power lines that run out to power the island that run along the road, and he was flying at about that level! He came around the corner as i cam around a corner and was heading basically to go right over me in the car, but that was the same part of the road where the wires cross from one side to another. I had a huge adrenalin attack as he passed not 75' over the top of the highest wire. He was climbing hard too having obviously just noticed them himself moron.

I would have been in the middle of the mess if he had clipped them. Yikes...

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few years back I lived near the NATO air base in Geilenkirchen/Germany. E3 sentries (AWACS) were stationed there, basically Boeing 707s with a huge radar dish on top. Scary to see them on their glide path during landing. Flying very low, full flaps, landing gear down, engines quite loud and on fairly high power. Weird. Then I heard that one of the villages around the air base had complaint that they often would dump excess fuel over them before landing. After that, they obviously decided to burn off the fuel instead of dumping.

I also frequently saw A10 Thunderbolts ("Warthogs"). Those things are scary. They did maneuvers I thought impossible for airplanes. I looked as if standing still. You always expected them to fall like a stone, but they never did.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I used to live within a half mile of two hospitals and when they first started flying helicopter ambulances they sometimes flew as close to 100 feet off the ground which shook the house and rattled windows. After awhile of that they quit probably because the people around the neighborhood had some political clout and complained to the city council.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fun part of being an old fart is that you have a lot of history from which to recall:

1). There is a small air museum not far fom us. For many years guests at the house would "Oooo and Ahhh" and we'd just say, "Oh, that? That's just the B-17 that lives down the road..." as it buzzed the house on its way to land.

2). Same air museum has shows. Quite a few years ago they had a special flyover, and the plane used my house (then the only one around) for a reference point for turns and maneuvers. What plane? Oh, it was only an F117, flying at less than 1000'. And yes, he did waggle the wings as I waved.

3). In the 80's a plane flew in at Rochester, and blew an engine on takeoff, so my housemate and I went out to take a look at it while it was there. It took a few days to get the new engine in, but we timed in just right and got to talk to the pilot. Who was he? Paul Tibbets, flying Fifi, the last flying B29. If you don't know who Paul Tibbets is, shame on you for being so bad at history.

4). Went to Montreal for an F1 race years ago. The plane doing a fly-by seemed to be moving pretty slow. Took forever to get there and then just kinda hung in the sky as it flew over. But I had heard they only look like they fly so slow 'cause they are so big. It's true, they are pretty big, and with full flaps and wheels down, they sure look like they're crawling. Cast a mighty big shadow, though. It was a C5A.

5). It ain't the engine or the prop that's loud on an AT6 Texan. The prop tips are almost supersonic. Nasty loud in the air and on the ground? Woof!

6). Go to the National Air & Space Museum. Now. Put down what you're doing and go. Go! Tell 'em I said it was OK to miss work or school. It's worth it. They have a Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsule. And, as I told my wife, no, they are not models. They are the real McCoy. Yes, they are a little used looking...

7). Oh, and yes, years ago they did used to fly jets out over Lake Ontario fast enough to create a sonic boom. They pretty much stopped that 20 or more years ago. Maybe too many broken dishes... Still used to happen once in a while for a few years after that, but I wager that doing it would have put a piece of paper in the file of the pilot.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Wow. Do they fly fast enough to create a sonic boom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately no, they weren't going quite that fast. Still was a real heartstopper!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

A couple of days ago, my housemate was about 3/4 of a mile north of here, and he saw what I believe he said was a B-29 fly very low overhead. Large aircraft, four propellers.
There's no air show here that I'm aware of at this time, so I don't know the origins of the B-29.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

My folks live near ft lee and its common to have jets race right above the tree tops setting the car alarm off and the dog running from one side of the yard to the otehr barking. Its so loud you need to cover your ears. Then at night we get the black helecoptors you hear about on the art bell show. They love to hover near our house in the middle of no where.

I do live near the richmond air port and hear planes from time to time, but not many stick out. Every now and then I hear one that sounds like its whirling down or going to crash, but it seems to go out of hearing range and lands ok.