Does anyone know what LED is used in Nuwai .5 watt

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was wondering with all the new 5mm out there, and after tonite noticing how my new peak ultra power 1xAAA single LED lit up the side of the next door house from at least 60-70 Ft, what new brand's are in some of the new light's.

I don't own any of the .5's but rating is 12 ln which probably means 7 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I wonder if there is a single company doing these very white bright LED's with real throw. VDG

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does anyone know what LED is used in Nuwai .5

i think it's a 8mm led with like 6 lead wires... lol

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
not really sure but at this time i have 3 of the titanium colored 1xAAA models and 3 of the titanium 2xAAA models.

have taken 1 of each out of the package and have fallen in love with these things!!!

the 1xAAA seems to rival my hand-picked PT Attitude! took the 2xAAA with me walking the dogs the other night and was pleasantly surprised with the 'throw' even with ambient lighting.(darn street lamps)

jamaica

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
Was wondering with all the new 5mm out there, [...] what new brand's are in some of the new light's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I peeked inside one of the Nuwai AAA 0.5w lights a couple weeks ago. The LED was a short, little, wide-emitting-angle fellow with four bond wires visible. I didn't recognize it. It looked a bit like a mini version of a Luxeon emitter. The light had a nice deep reflector for throw. Cute.

Hope this helps...,
Jamaica

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have taken my Nuwai apart. The LED is a 5-mm type that has been ground down so that it emits a non-focused spread of light. It appears to be very similar to the 100 mA high-flux white LEDs that you can buy at the Sandwich Shoppe.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
........The LED is a 5-mm type that has been ground down so that it emits a non-focused spread of light....

[/ QUOTE ]

for those that do not have one, please do not confuse the above statement. the emitter itself may not have "focus" but combined with the reflector it does focus very nicely for a non-luxeon LED!

if these hit the stores like wal-mart and such..... i think they are gonna dominate.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes... sorry if there was any confusion about that. You need to start with an unfocused emitter in order to use a reflector. A standard, unmodified 5-mm LED would send most of its semi-focused light forward and very little would be collected by the reflector.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have lots of samples of the 5mm and the 8mm ISPs, and the LED in the .5W Nuwai is not one of those.
-Also, the output tint is very H.I.D, like a 5mm Nichia on steroids.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

So is this like the ISP 8mm led that has 4 chips inside, only in a 5mm package? I don't think ISP makes a 4 chip 5mm, only a 100ma single chip 5mm... I guess one if were so inclined could take a 8mm 100ma ISP 4 chip and grind it smaller in diameter and the lens off...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

After having used the .5W 2-AAA model for a week, I'd have to agree with 4x4Dragon. This is one of my favorite general use lights now. A very strong little performer -well defined spot with a generous amount of sidespill, with output measured equal to the UKE-4AA LED.

BTW-Amondotech was selling both the 1-AAA and the 2-AAA models for $14.50 each.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is anybody's beam pink-ish?

I have the little 1xAAA it is very bright.
Of all the beam tones, pink and purple annoy me.

Bob

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
Is anybody's beam pink-ish?

I have the little 1xAAA it is very bright.
Of all the beam tones, pink and purple annoy me.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

the 2xAAA i have out of the package is only slightly bluish

the 1xAAA that i have out is a little purple, don't know about the other 2 1xAAA's and 2 2xAAA's that are still in package though.....

ultimately im just looking to keep a black 2xAAA with a nice beam color preferably and a 1xAAA titanium with nice beam color