Gladius Vs Lion-Heart

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i dont think this post was made before. i saw one with Gladius Vs U2 though.

anyhow, i'm wondering if anyone has both to compare the beams from high to low. both Gladius and the LH are 3watt. which has better throw or flood or etc...
i'm not trying to start a topic of which light is made for what purpose and which is better to get for that, etc... so lets not get into that. i'm just wondering which is brighter in terms of throw/flood, beam output and tint. pics would be nice.
thanks in advance for those who posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rscanady

Enlightened
hmm well I have a LH (#254) and I have a Gladius from the passaround, maybe I shoul grab the camera and take some pics, will let you know what I get.

Ryan

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo wrote here as follows:

"The Gladius uses an IMS so27xa reflector so I think it is fair to compare its beam with both the LH (same reflector) as well as the Aleph 1 and or any of the PR lights using LuxIII's and of course the Pelican M6 LED. Any of these lights are a very close representation of beam angle and spill geometry. There are some differences but I think the Luxeon Lottery can skew your results more than these reflectors do."

best regards
me

rscanady

Enlightened
okay, bad news, I am at work and have both lights with me so got to play only a little bit at night, but I forgot my camera (dangit!) Anyhow they are two very different lights (LH being more of an EDC, and the Gladius being way more tactical). But the beams are very nearly identical, I think the hotspot of the Gladius may be a little bit bigger, but you really have to look, other than that very nearly identical. Will get some pics though before I send the gladius on. One thing I really like about the Gladius is the strobe function. More to come later.

Ryan

PhantomZ

Enlightened
thanks for the link powernoodle~

right now i'm loving my LH. its the brightes LED flashlight i have so far thats small. the only thing i dont like as much is the small button. takes me a few secs before i can locate it. i find that the LH is best to use indoors like the gladius was made for. of course you can use it outdoors but because there is more area to cover the light doesnt reflect back as much as it would if you are indoors with the light reflecting off the wall or stuff around the house.

the LH is about 70 lumens..??? and the gladius is rated about 80-90 lumens?? even though the reflector is the same think the gladius can out throw the LH just by a bit and with a bigger hotspot since the gladius uses total of 6v and LH 3.7 pila.

waiting to see your pics Ryan, but no rush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
On 4.2v the LionHeart is being driven pretty damned hard, but I bet the Gladius uses a better LED bin, probably a U bin.

The direct drive of the LionHeart puts it way below the Gladius in my book.

83Venture

Enlightened
I love my LionHeart, the only thing that I don't like is that it does not take much to turn it off when you set it down on its tail. Unless I am very gentle when setting it down on a hard surface it goes out.

Just a moderate tap on my hand will also do it. I carry it most days to the office but because of this I don't consider it a hard duty light. I think the cub uses the same setup, wonder if it will have the same quirk?

The VIP on the other hand I think you could beat someone with and it would keep going.

nexro

Enlightened
My LH don't have that tapping problem too.

I'd like to see a rechargeble solution for the Gladius without it having to blink indicating low battery when a Pila is used.

The Gladius vs LH pics in the passaround thread give a pretty good comparison. Their beams look similar.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspsect your 'LH losing its light when tapped' issue is due either to the V1 firmware (which cut the LH into its default mode - or off for that matter whenever the power was interrupted, even for a second), or is due to the spring which shipped with the HA-NAT LH's but not the Fast Tracks.

I've seen the same behavior with my LH HA NAT, but not the V2 one with the original Bellevue washer.