Filters, A2 vs. L2

Victor_Hooi

Newly Enlightened
heya,

I'm trying to toss up between the L2 and the A2 atm, and I thought I'd appeal to the community's collective knowledge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

One important factor for me is the availability of beamfilters. The L2 can use the F05/06 filters, but I'm not aware of any filters for the A2. I emailed Surefire, and they confired this. Does anybody know of any beamfilters for the A2, or any way to get one to fit?

Also, the L2 is 100 lumens (max), and the A2 65 lumens. For somebody who's seen both, is this a big difference when you compare them side by side? How dim exactly is 65 lumens?

Furthermore, how does the fact that L2 is a LED and the A2 incandescent affect the throw, perceived brightness, etc?

Finally, how does build quality compare between the two? (The A2 is more expensive, I believe - will this affect it)

This is for a EDC, and also for a coolness-factor light (hence the requirement for a flip-up/down beamfilter...hehehe). Well, that's about it, and thanks in advance.

cya,
Victor

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Victor,

I can't help you with the beam filters. Sorry!

I have both.

They have different beams. The L2 has a nice wide beam on both high and low. The low beam is the main beam for the L2 and has 8 hours of runtime before it starts to dim. The L2 on low is brighter than the A2 on low.

The A2 on high has fairly good throw for a light this size. The A2 on low has a flood beam and runs for about 20 hours. If you get a A2 I recommend you get white LEDs unless you have a specific need for another color.

Both the A2 & L2 are quite bright on high and you'll get some WOWs from people that see them. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I recommend you base your choice on the features of each light.

If you want throw and a low that is good for reading and enough light to walk by then the A2 is for you. The A2 is a little shorted too.

If you want a fairly bright low with 8 hours of runtime before it starts to dim, then the L2 is for you. The L2 on low is a little to bright for reading. The L2 on high is a nice bright flood light, but it's not for throw.

The build quality is equal. This is a classic case of "buy both". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I took a bunch of Surefire lights to work for one of the young guys to test/sample. He decided to buy both the A2 & L2. He had a lot of lights to pick from, but his needs are for runtime as well as brightness. Your needs may be different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait till my new (old style) a2 arrives then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was in the same dilemma myself but the extra length of the l2 pursuaded me not to tread that path.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi Victor,
Welcome to CPF!

I have both the A2 and the L2.
Lumens is a rating of how "dim" light is - it's more a measure of quantity of light. How "bright" or "dim" a flashlight is depends more on how the flashlight distributes the light (what sort of beam it creats) - this is the 'intensity' or 'throw' of the beam.

I was under the impression the A2 was more like 50 Lumens for 40-45 minutes (regulated flat for consistant output).

The L2 on high is not regulated flat - I get the impression it is "balls to the wall" as much output as possible. I guess the L2 gives about 30 minutes of really high output on high.

My use of the A2 is the incandescent beam is the main beam and the LEDs are the useful addition.

My use of the L2 is the main beam is the "low output" level and the "high beam" is the useful addition.
(to be fair I usually use both levels about the same amount but the high beam is not usually constant-on)

THe A2's incandescent beam is pretty tight and quite small compared to the L2's beam which is rather wider and more of a "flood" light. The difference is more difficult to compare because LED light and incandescent light are so different.
The A2 has more "throw".

The build quality is fantastic for both. I personally consider the A2 to have the best form-factor (length, width, heft, balance - ergonomics) of any flashlight ever.

But note, I have about 45 hours battery use of EDCing the A2 but I carry now the L2 - for my use of light it is better.

Why do you need filtered light?
This may be the deciding factor. Remember you can get red, blue, green and yellow-green LEDs for the A2.

Al

Victor_Hooi

Newly Enlightened
heya,

Thanks to all for their great replies...gives me some things to mull over.

The L2 is "brighter", but the A2 produces a smaller, tigher beam that isn't as bright, right?

The beamfilter thing is a coolness wow factor thing. The red filter is the only one I can actually see being useful to me - although Surefire on their website say that blue light shows up blood, and that green is more easily perceived in dark and shows up better etc - anybody know how true all this is?

Does anybody know if any filters that will work for the A2? (Third party ones are fine) Or any way to adapt something to fit them?

Thanks,
Victor

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Victor,
I don't have time this morning to post a picture, but SF's F05/F06 flip up filters can stretch enough to fit over the A2 bezel. It does bulge a little, but it works. Being a tight fit, it would be something you would leave on, it takes a little effort putting it on and taking it off. Also, the scallops in the bezel catch when trying to put the filter on. I do like this set up, the F05 looks cool when the tabs on the filter light up.

The filters fit a bit easier on the L2 head, but if you are using the flip up kind, then it will extend beyond the bezel a little or it will have a similar bulge to the A2 (if you push it all the way on.) I prefer the older style F05 filter for the L2, it was a better fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some pictures of the A2 with the F05:

image028a.jpg

image030a.jpg

image034a2.jpg

image037a.jpg

Here's the L2 with the older style F05:

image104a.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hmmmm... has anyone tried one of those rubber bezel covers for minimags on one of these? They come as an accessory pack with a couple of colored lenses, a clip, and I forget what else. I have no idea if they'll fit, and have no SF to try mine on, but it may be worth a try.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimag bezel covers are inferior and not as good a fit, IMO. SF filters are more grippy too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif