SureFire L1 LumaMax runtime

firefly99

Enlightened
The surefire web page for L1 LumaMax list its runtime as:
"High beam runtime approx. four hours with 22 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 90 hours with 1.1 lumens maximum output"
The Led comparison webpage had the figures as:
"0.7 lumens 3000 minutes, 15 lumens 60 minutes"
The tactical-catalog had the figures as:
"0.7 lumens 50hours or 3000minutes, 15 lumens 2 hours or 120min"
Anyone know which is the true figure ?

firefly99

Enlightened
Thanks, seattlite. Saw that review.
The review did not do a test on low beam mode.

cslinger

Enlightened
Low beam runs for damn ever is pretty much what I have concluded with mine. I have run mine on low for at least 35-40 hours and she is still going strong and that is with lots of high beam use as well.

Chris

firefly99

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Chris.
Is the high beam 22 lumen or 15 lumen ?
Is the low beam 1.1 lumen or 0.7 lumen ?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I would guess the L1 is possibly now shipping with a constant current converter that is active on both the low output as well as the high. If that is the case, the increase of runtime on low from 50 hours to 90 hours would make sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I could be wrong but I would not be surprised.......

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
I generally replace the battery in my L1 when the high beam
becomes noticeably diminished. The low beam seems to
just keep going and ... going . and ... going . and
... going . and ... going.

This flashlight stuff can be intoxicating ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the output decreases with time so you get ever-diminishing amounts of light which eventually becomes useless (until the diode shuts off of course). IMHO if you say "it runs for x" a more useful thing to say would be "it produces useful light for y".

cognitivefun

Enlightened
My new-style L1 had useful light at the end, although very dim -- barely bright enough to read by at close range in the dark. It abruptly faded out and I had to replace the battery. It arrived from being replaced at SureFire with that battery, so I can't tell how drained it was when I got it, but it was quite drained indeed by the time of receipt. Anyway, I now know how much light I'll get at the end of the battery life, and I also know that it will abruptly die at that point rather than fading away once it reaches that low threshold.

firefly99

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Grox said:
if you say "it runs for x" a more useful thing to say would be "it produces useful light for y".

[/ QUOTE ]
I am quoting the runtime figures from Surefire webpages & catalog.

firefly99

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
firefly99 said:
The surefire web page for L1 LumaMax list its runtime as:
"High beam runtime approx. four hours with 22 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 90 hours with 1.1 lumens maximum output"
The Led comparison webpage had the figures as:
"0.7 lumens 3000 minutes, 15 lumens 60 minutes"
The tactical-catalog had the figures as:
"0.7 lumens 50hours or 3000minutes, 15 lumens 2 hours or 120min"

[/ QUOTE ]
The L1 LumaMax operator manual states :
high output - 15 lumens for 90minutes, 1 hour of gradually diminishing light, then 2+ hours of minimal light
low output - 0.65 lumens for 25 hours, then 200 hours of gradually diminishing light
I will post the runtime after testing my L1.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could somebody state "officially" if the low level of the new L1 is regulated? The old version's L1 wasn't.

If what Don said is true, I'm ready to buy some more L1s. I have three of the old type and I didn't like the way the low level was driven (totally passive).

Thanks

Anthony