My Dream Flashlight....

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Here is my dream flashlight, I would sell all the rest if I could buy this somewhere:

Take a Surefire A2 flashlight with red outer LED's. Replace the center incandescent bulb with a Luxeon 5W white LED that has the same light output as a Surefire L2 or L4. Reduce the output on the red LED's to the point that the battery life matches a Surefire L1 on low.

This would result in an all LED flashlight with red and white light - high output white "wall of light" for tactical use combined with low output red for preserving nightvision and battery life.

Surely this "dream light" isn't too far away? Something a McGizmo modder could almost come up with in his/her sleep? How would I go about making this dream a reality?

Best wishes,
Bawko

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
While they're at it, make a reflector like a one way mirror. That way, when the white LED is on, the reds can be behind the reflector instead of poking through, and won't cause beam artifacts from the holes the current designs cause.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A half silvered parabolic reflector in glass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Probably not too efficient in light transmission; either through or reflected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif The red LED's don't need to be very large, how about having them outboard of the reflector? I remember doing a light a couple years ago:

LED-on.jpg

I have thought about revisiting this idea but using fiber optics in a skiny ring around the reflector to transmit the low level flood light. The head diameter could be significantly reduced. Then again, there are some tiny SMD LED's that could be placed external to the reflector and still be used for a flood option. There is no reason why the flood option needs to be on the same axis as the spot beam, really:

L1D-side.jpg

So many ideas, so many choices! So little time and money! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I remember THAT light Don, made me drool for months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif !
If you ever produce the version with the fiber optics don't forget to engrave my name on it upon completion ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif
bernhard

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
McGizmo,

It looks like you have the skill and know-how to make my "dreamlight" a reality...

What would you charge me for something similar to a Surefire A2 with Luxeon 5W White LED center and battery saving "red" outer LED (or LEDs) with low light similar to the Surefire L1 on "low" mode? I'll pay... and I'm sure many other forum members would also be interested! This light would combine the best of both worlds, high brightness output along with night-vision protecting red light with amazing battery life!

Best wishes,
Bawko