"Sleeper" Premium emitter, the TV1J

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Sleeper\" Premium emitter, the TV1J

I made an accidental discovery the other day (i suppose that is redundant at least a little)..

I was walking around and had my Groovy in one hand and the megasonic in the other.. now one has about 75 lumen and 1100 lux, the other.. 225 lumens and 4500 lux.. so they aren't exactly comparable lights.. however.. i was shining each of them to compare the beams into the brush and the trees in the neighborhood and something amazing jumped out at me..

the TV1J emitter really rocks with nature.. the groovy has a TX1H and it did not even compare to the detail i could pick out using the V1 color emitter..

I'm sure that this has something to do with at least to properties of physics..

1) the fact that more of the color being emitted happens to be in the trees.. so it's a more efficient system.. a larger percentage of light is being bounced back vs absorbed.

2) similar to the 'blue blockers' concept.. when the light comes back into your eyes and it has a narrower spectrum of light colors, the focus on your retina is tighter.

Those are possibly not the reasons for this phenomenon, but it is a very dramatic effect.. I noticed it very pronounced when comparing very high-power LED lights like the Tesla-6 with TWAK emitters.. the bluish tint really makes it look 'bright' but when pointing into trees, they look 2-dimensional.. the megasonic with 4 TV1Js did a MUCH better job at resolving the details of the branches and the leaves.

The RT4 I just built has 'X1' tint as well.. and it's a little hard to compare since it has almost twice the output of the megasonic, but the effect is still noticeable... the trees are lit up brighter but more 2-dimensional.

I hope i can get a test light built with TWOJs in the next few days so i can take some outdoor pictures and show people exactly what i mean..

anyhow.. i wanted to share this little tidbit with people because i'm pretty sure that a lot of people are squeamish about using the V1 color because when 'wall hunting' you can detect that it has a slight green/yellow tint to it and people are afraid it will look like pea soup..

Well i 'lucked' into the V1 color when i bought my first batch of Luxes from elektrolumens, and now i'm really happy i did..

Soo.. another reason i brought it up.. is that I'm pretty sure that the primary use of the 4000lux+ lights like the 4-up mag mods is for outdoor use, and there happens to be a killer sale at the sandwich shop.. you can buy as many TV1Js as you'd ever want or need and get them below cost.. $12.

They are stars which can be uber convenient especially in a three-up configuration since they just butt up against each other.. and look for the heat sink i think modamag makes that has the star hole machined out... if you prefer the emitter. it's a cake walk to pop the emitter off the star... just be careful because sometimes they literally 'pop' off.. i shot a UX1L about 2 feet into a wall yesterday!

the direct link to the special on the TV1Js is HERE

race ya to the biggest TV1J light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (I think i'm going to order 3 more soon to bump up the megasonic.. it makes me a little sad that my mag-mod is now brighter than my big bad megasonic).

-awr

ps.. i have a feeling that wayne would really like to lower inventory on this model, considering the 'below cost' pricing and the quantity on hand, so maybe we can help out the shoppe with a little bias toward the normally 'unfavorable' color tint.. if you use the light outside you'll thank me later.. i wouldn't use TWOJs for an outdoor light now that i've seen the V1 tinted light.

dc

Newly Enlightened
Re: \"Sleeper\" Premium emitter, the TV1J

I think u r quite right in your observation. I use to (it got shorted by careless me anyway) have a Q3 with a SV1K and it produce a very pleasing warm white colour which help to pick out details better than my other whitish luxeon. Actually, nowaday i prefer yellowish luxeon to whitish type cos it just maybe me, i felt i see better in yellowish light condition.

Rgrds,
Daniel

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well stated and logically easy to read, andrewwynn.

I'm reading sentiments like these more and more lately.

I've got two old school BB500 low domes running through NX05s.

One is warm. Looks great until you do a comparitive white wall hunting beam shot. Then the colder (bluer) seems to dominate. I've been prefering the warmer one for a while for the bedroom and night time excursions.

You made me take a walk. I loaded them up with fresh batteries and began comparing the returns I got in trees, bushes and flowers. The warm one gave me more color and edge detail making it appear to be much brighter than the cold one which previously I had determined to be the brighter of the two.

---------------

- Jeff

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just did another comparison tonight.. with the 4x UX1L monster known as the RT4.. 8000lux.. comparing to the 4x TV1J (3 17s 1 27) megasonic.. and the edge detail is much sharper with the megasonic even with 1/2 the output.. i'm going to be ordering some more TV1Js for sure.. i can't 'have' the megasonic with the 60WH battery be blown away in brightness by the RT4, and now that i've discovered the magic behind color matching to the 'world' i really want to brighten up the mega with some more V1 emitters.

My thought.. let's be logical about it.. is it more helpful to have a light that 'works better' or 'seems to be brighter on a wall'? Hope the V1 color will exist in the K2..

-awr

wtraymond

Enlightened

That's good news for me. I just bought 8 TV1Js from Smitty last week for only $9.50 each. I was wondering what to do with them. Looks like they're going on that PR base tri-sink from b2eze.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Me too ... I prefer warmer tints over the HID-blue ones. Just feels ... warmer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
bernie

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

well.. i prefer tints like X1 when using to light up 'inside' because skin tones look so healthy... the V1 is a little green for skintone but manoman it's nice for outside.

wtraymond.. work a fatman into those mods...it's amazing.

-awr

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the color of the emitter in my Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon, which is clearly warmer than W0. I compared it to the beam of my TW0K-upgraded BugOutGear 3W module. (Of course, W0 is way better than YA, which was originally there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif) I doubt that it's as warm as V1, though.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

YA is very purply.. looks like the HID xenon headlights all the rage, i like the YA in small doses.. i use them for testing and in a proto nano or two. I think i'm going to make an RT4 with V1s so i can do my comparison against the X1 bin, which is kinda warm but does not have the definition in the shrubs like the V1.

-awr

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

It only took one YO tint Lux V for me to know I don't like that "metal halide" tint. I only had one V1 emitter in a m*gmod I bought from 3rd Shift. I needed an osink to put into a birthday present for a friend. I seemed to be on yaesumofo's ignore list (yes, I saw the other thread and his explanation) and couldn't get an osink, so I gave away my TV1L & black Osink. I never really noticed the V1 tint worked better tha the X1 that replaced it. I guess I wasn't looking for it.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

I went out of my way to get a TV1J for my nflex 2D m@g. I wanted something for the woods, and the yellower tint works great for this.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bummer Unclefester. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For outdoor security use, I came to love the V1 tint right away.
I still love it to this day.
I have a copper 4X3 emitter heatsink just waiting for these to be AA'ed to it when I have time this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That will be a separate post with lotsa pics on that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes actually.. (beamshots).

http://rouse.com/mega is my 12W 'megasonic'.. look at the top for 'beamshots'..

also an unfair comparison.. go to http://rouse.com/RT4 and look at the beamshots.. the RT4 has almost twice the output so it's not 'fair'.

I'm going to make an 'RT4' with 4 TWOJs to do a more direct comparison soon between X1 and V1 bin so you can really see the difference.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok.. i ordered up 4 TV1Js so i can make an RT4 based on them.. i will adjust the output so they both are the same lux.. one is UX1L and one will be TV1J.. it will probably be about 10 days before i can get the parts made into the light.

-awr