Racing Scanners

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Prior to going to the Dover Nextel Race last weekend, I wanted to take a scanner and headset with me. I have an older Radio Shack scanner, but wanted to take something which was more designed for the race fan. At the last minute, I purchased a Uniden SC230 Racing Scanner from the Racing Electronics brick and morter store in Southern Jersey. I know I could have purchased it for considerably less elsewhere, but I decided all of this on Saturday, with the race being on Sunday.

Anyway, this scanner is awesome for the race fan. Not only does it come pre-programmed for many different racing circuits, you can get free at-the-track updates for the entire 2005 season. The scanner and RT-48 headphones (purchased at the same time) made for a great combination. I was able to quickly scan to whatever car I wanted, listen to MRN or the Fox coverage and anything else I wanted to do with it. This scanner has some nice features and will also work for your standard Police and Fire bands. It does not have trunking capabilities. This unit will run on either 2xAA alkaline or Ni-mH cells. I didn't have the nerve to try the Engergizer E2 lithiums.

If anyone has been looking for a great racing scanner, try out the Uniden SC230.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, glad to hear it. I attend the richmond races and just get a pair of ear plugs. I thought about trying a scanner, but figured its too loud to hear it. AT home I can tune in to their freqs as I am near the track and watch it on tv when not there in person.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
We're at Pocono this weekend. It about the same distance from me as Dover. Pocono is not a track I'd ever go to however. It doesn't appear to have any good seats at all. The folks in work that have gone to Ponoco say you really don't "see" much of the racing at Pocono.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wherever and whenever you use a scanner in a loud environment, try either "noise cancelling" headphones or "racing ear muff" headphones. One actively cancels out background noise (works OK) and the other is like shooting ear muffs that block a certain number of decibels. With either one, pay attention to what goes on around you since you won't hear warnings. Both cost a little more but are worth it.

Quite a few tracks have vendors that will rent scanners and even scaners with intercoms. Think about it -- you and a friend (or even more) can listen to the drivers and crews, and talk to each other, and not shout. Plus, the rent before you buy it concept is good for something that can cost more than $400.