Anybody own this "pocketrocket?"

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re: Anybody own this \"pocketrocket?\"

Unless some drastic changes have been made in the last year or so, I wouldn't consider the LongBow in the pocket-rocket performance group, with or with a turbo-head. The LB has always been a great looking light to me, however the performance has always been sub-par. That was over a year ago. If it hasn't changed since then, there are now quite a few smaller lights on the market that will kick the crap out of the LB.

Again.... great looking, feels good, machined well, however not a good performer.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats true.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mods, can you show me one? cost?

-David

idleprocess

Flashaholic

'Seems that the base cost of a Longbow makes it an expensive mod candidate.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Basically, you can swap out the pill that is used in there with a custom-made E-can which would fit the Longbow, replacing the circuitry and LED with a better LuxIII and regulator. They sell these at the Sandwich Shoppe... but with the price you're paying for the booster head, the new sandwich and everything else, you're looking at Aleph prices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ICUDoc

Enlightened

Hi there

I love my Longbow Micra twisty. It uses the McGizmo McCapsule and NextGen 1000 with UX1K LED ultraclear lens, SO17XA and R123A. Then it really is a pocket rocket and feels lovely in the hand- strong and robust. I guess that is quite a mod list but it is really nice now- lovely build quality and very compact.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sometimes it isn't just about the cost but the fun in making a light to see new boundries in what can be done with what you can find. Right? Sometimes it isn't econonical to do mods. If I wanted an economical light then I would go to the $1 store and buy a cheap light.

Here is my LongBow Micra with the Booster Head. The original regulator was swapped out and an E-can was put in its place. The E-can is running a Downboy 1000 with a UX1J emitter. Yup, it is a Micra with muscle! I know a single RCR123A rechargeable cell cannot pull the mA to run the emitter at full power but it is bright for its size. Its got a good throw beam.

The nice part is I'll swap the same E-can and Booster Head into my Mini and run 2 x RCR123A. Hey, now we are talking bright.

I haven't had anyone laughing at my LongBows when I turn them on! It's a fun experiment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

You can call this light the PocketRocket Plus Muscle!

longbowboostermccapsuleux1j3pn.jpg

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

WHOOOOO! That is sweet. Beamshots please. Oh yeah, how much would that mod cost me? I have a micra already, I am making a deal on a boosterhead, so far, all I need is a clip and that nice mod and I am set.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

and how is the runtime on that mod?

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Les' see:

E-can (McCapsule) with PC board = $25

Downboy = about $18 with resistors soldered in

Emitter = 10 - $15 (you'll probably have a hard time finding a UX1J emitter.

One hour of work = what is that worth to you?

You can get a Downboy cheaper if you settle with a standard configuration like a Downboy 917 for $13. There is not a noticable difference in brightness between the two. I'm sure there is little more light but your run time will effected.

If you are going to run the Booster Head with just a Micra and a CR123A or RCR123A then a better choice for a converter would be Wiz2, NexGen, Madmax or Badboy converter. My choice of switching the E-can between the Micra and the Mini using one or two CR123A or RCR123A cells meant I had to use a Downboy converter.

Lastly, I don't really know the run time of the set up. I use the light to "play" then I'll charge the cell when I'm finished. I've played with the Micra with the Downboy/UX1J for 25 to 30 minutes and it is still bright so the light will go at least that long. YMMV...it depends on the state of your cell and the charge in it. I have too many lights with more on the way. I use one light and use it for a while then grab another one to play with. Then a third and then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW. I'll need some help on this. Its kinda confusing.

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo...If you use a Micra with a Booster Head then I would recommend you put a Wiz2 of somewhere around 500 to 700mA with a T*** emitter and the Booster Head. It would be quite bright and have a decent run time.

Kryo...I don't know if a 27mm reflector would fit. The Booster Head optic is 36mm wide and 19mm deep. So if a 27mm reflector can fit those dimensions the yes.

So if I cut the legs off a spare 27mm reflector that I sputtered and was sitting in my box then I add a 127mm O-ring between the bezel ring and the glass we have the first LongBow Micra/Booster Head/Downboy 1000/UX1J with a 27mm reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW, that reflector in the boosterhead looks pretty spiff. How much would that run me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

sputter, what is that? Also, is that reflector aluminum? How does it throw against the standard boosterhead?

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sputter just makes it so the reflector isn't smooth - which is important for a good flood light with a smooth beam, but takes away from the maximum throw you'd get otherwise.

You're looking at about $60 in modding for just parts alone, if you're using a basic T-binned emitter, to get a really good Longbow Micra going, if you've already spent the $35 for the booster head and the money on the light in question.

Latest posts