u2...any new updates?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I haven't kept up with the u2's progress for some time now as I just didn't have the patience for surefire to get the bugs out. I am now researching for any new updates or info on the progress of this amazing light. Can anyone say if surefire have managed to sort out the problems that once plagued the u2? likewise, can anyone say if they know anything about the u2, or porcupine? (looked quite nice in a pic I saw)...al, if you are reading, you might be familiar with the pic...? Thanks in advance

Size15's

Flashaholic
What problems/bugs?
If you are referring to the U2's Clickie TailCap then I've not heard any complaints on CPF for ages. It appears SureFire have had both their "E-Series" and standard series Clickie TailCaps reliable and robust for months.

The term "Porcupine" appears to be used by SureFire to identify special versions of models with aggressive "crenelated" or "strike" bezels sold in Asia.

There are a number of different "Porcupines" including the U2, L2, A2 etc.

If you want to get hold of one you could try contacting http://www.supremeco.com.hk

Al

jtice

Flashaholic
Updates....? sure....

It Rocks !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I LOVE mine.
I have had no problems with the tailcap, and I even have one of the earlier ones.
If you do have a problem, SF will send you a new tailcap.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I got one and it has tailcap issues and they are sending me a new one...can't wait. Lovely light, I use it every night.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
had my tailcap sent to me in March, and has been working flawlessly since--- I thought it was going to be my favorite light, but it's not--- that goes to my L4 or A2--- but I carry the U2 and A2 in my Fatboy pack, I'm ready for anything!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, thanks for the news....the tailcap was an issue but the main issue I was concerned about was the flawless beam not being flawless and having a donut hole. it was said at one time that very few had perfect, flawless beams and if my memory isn't failing me, I had read somewhere that it could have been due to the lux v's they were using.???Please correct me if I'm wrong. PS: I had a look on one of the above links and the u2 porcupine looks really impressive. Would love to have one of those

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
usdiver said:
it was said at one time that very few had perfect, flawless beams and if my memory isn't failing me, I had read somewhere that it could have been due to the lux v's they were using.

[/ QUOTE ]

A properly focused LuxV will show a bright halo around the center. Is it not a flaw, just the result of how the Luxs work. If you adjust focus to blur the die transition, you will alter the throw.

It is only something that matters if you are reviewing a light. In usage, it is practically focused.

-Craig

cognitivefun

Enlightened
mine has a terrific beam pattern with a tiny discernible shadow in the very center that is only visible on very low settings projected just right on a white wall.

When the patient asked "doctor, it hurts when I do this," the doctor answered, "so don't do this!" That's how I feel about this white-wall business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like I need to stick to what is meant to be...meaning, I did a post some time back, and it seemed that the only time you really noticed is when shining on a wall, rather than everyday use. (The everyday use seems more important)...But then I too am a person who could take anything new...then analyise it and try and find something wrong with it. So overall, how is the beam brightness, say if you were to use it for a searchlight or a blinding tool? And how does it compare to the power of the m3 or even the 6p? And how does the runtime do..? Oh, lastly, does anyone know if it is possible to get the u2 porcupine? or even just the head? Thanks

DavidU2

Newly Enlightened
Just got my U2 a few weeks ago. To me, a novice, it's a flawless, white beam. I'm having some trouble w/ the click switch. It stays on (sometimes) after clicking off. Occationally "flashes" with the slightest touch of switch. I e-mailed SF and am waiting to hear from them.

thk

Newly Enlightened
New guy here.

After going through the whole trial and error cycle on various other products (pocket knives for one), I decided to skip the whole process [trying cheaper stuff out only to figure out I have expensive tastes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif] by purchasing a U2 as my first "real" flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just waiting for it to be delivered ... so anxious now.

Reading through about the possible problems with the light by reading this forum, I'm ready for it. But I do have one question. Is there a holster or sheath that fits the U2? There isn't one listed on the Surefire page and from pictures, it's not the smallest light around. Any help would be much appreciated!

By the way, great forum here. And now it seems that I sort of want one of those McLuxIII-PD lights for something a bit smaller if I can't figure out a way to carry the U2 comfortably. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome thk!

I hope you enjoy your U2. I don't know any holsters or pouches for it. I would suspect that ones made for the L5 may be a place to start.

McGizmo's McLuxIII-PD would be an awesome next step into the world of flashlights!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
thk, I personally have found Mitch Rosen ( www.mitchrosen.com ) to be very good for custom made holsters. I once had a custom holster for the hk usp 45 tactical and it was the BEST. Might want to see if they can do a holster for it, or even see if the clip might come off as this would give you more options. It's what I plan to do. Also I think the body diameter is about the same as the 6p but I might be wrong, so if you can take the clip off you could use a 6p holster and carry bezel up. Hope this helps

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I'm on my third clickie switch...awaiting it from SF. If it doesn't work, they'll require me to send the U2 back for service. I appreciate their efforts. I hope the new clickie works better than the two old ones. The one I'm using takes 5 or 6 on/offs to reliably cycle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
usdiver said:
thk, I personally have found Mitch Rosen ( www.mitchrosen.com ) to be very good for custom made holsters. I once had a custom holster for the hk usp 45 tactical and it was the BEST. Might want to see if they can do a holster for it, or even see if the clip might come off as this would give you more options. It's what I plan to do. Also I think the body diameter is about the same as the 6p but I might be wrong, so if you can take the clip off you could use a 6p holster and carry bezel up. Hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

The clip does come off rather easily. Remove the tailcap, push the sleeve towards the end to expose the ends of the clip, and pop it off.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on my latest U2 is buggy. It comes on in momentary fine, but when locked in it will go off on its own. If I tighten the switch past the point of comfort, it works 100 percent.

Luxman

Enlightened
thk

You might give Uncle Mike's holsters a try. They make different sizes and I think you may find one that works.
http://www.holstersupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=11&Page=1
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=4769989

Please let me know if you find one - I'll be getting a U2 in a little while too.
(Can't get it now; I'am new too and since I have been reading all these threads - I've spent too much - U60, Q3, TM-301, JIL etc.)
Thanks everyone for this great forum!

jmy808

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem with my U2. I emailed SF and they will send me a replacement, hope this will do the trick.
Jay

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you feel like it, you can probably fix your own switch following these instructions: U2 switch fix
Someone else noted they were able to accomplish this repair without tailcap disassembly by just holding in the switch which exposes the prongs in question.