Glenn

Enlightened
\"Dear Annie\" column

From a "Dear Annie" column:

Dear Annie: Last night, my husband pulled
a humiliating stunt. We were seated in the
lounge of a lovely restaurant, waiting for our
dinner companions. It seems the nicer the
atmosphere, the darker the establishment.
"David" reached for the wine list and, with
aplomb, took out a pen flashlight from his
jacket, stating, "Well, finally, I can see what I
am reading." When the waiter arrived to take
our order, I tried to joke about the flashlight,
but I was mortified.
Later, when our friends arrived, he again
dragged out the flashlight in order to read the
menu. To my disdain, our friends asked if they
could borrow it. My guess is that this could be
the result of his recently ordering a $200 bottle
of wine because he could not read the wine
list. Any alternative suggestions? — Valley
Village

Dear Valley: Actually, we admire your
husband's willingness not to be intimidated.
There is nothing wrong with pulling out a
little light if you are having difficulty reading,
and rest assured, the other patrons are
not castigating you for it. Restaurants often
use dim lighting because it seems cozier, but
it also means you can't see if the silverware
is clean. Instead of being embarrassed, consider
it an amusing idiosyncrasy. You'll feel
better.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: \"Dear Annie\" column

I'm hoping it was the latter!

I was at a fancy restaurant a little while back, very dimly lit, when a fellow across the table was having trouble reading the menu and ASKED for a flashlight! So I turned on my Q-III and aimed it at his menu, and the short blue wavelength of the pump LED really lit up the fluorescent dye in the white tablecloth. It was, uh, impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

All sorts of archair psychoanalysis potential in that letter - mostly from the letter-writer.

No, no sympathetic crowd here...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right on! I have an old, dim, amber Infinity just for tasks like that. The last time I used mine I was in a cabaret and someone at my table was totally stumped while trying to read his check in the dim room. When I lit up his check he thought that my Infinity was the coolest thing since sliced bread and muttered something about how HE should have something like that...

Ah, the joy of having the right tool for the right job. On an earlier occasion I had carried an ARC AA into the same room for that purpose but once I was actually there with it I felt it would be way too bright to fire up.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nobody noticed me and my U2 (on level 1, mind you, not level 6!) on a flight I took recently.. maybe because they were all sleeping, or maybe because I'd had enough drinks not to notice anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can imagine if that was a post on CPF.. "Dear CPF"

Dear Valley: If your husband finds us, he's finished. That won't be a penlight. That'll be a variable power cannon good for 2-200 lumens. We do recommend amicably 'going your own way' and not fighting too much over the divorce proceedings. A word to the wise, let him have all the lights, although given your current situation that may not necessarily be difficult.

However, this is preferable to asking the waiter to simply bring the most expensive wine in the house as a result of the inability to read what the wine actually costs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lets hear it for people who take a direct, practical approach to solving a problem without self-consciousness. If the lady was truly "mortified" by a pen light, she really needs to get a life. Guess what, lady: you are not the center of everyone's attention. Nobody in that restaurant even knew you were there, much less cared if your husband used a penlight for a few seconds. You are just not that important.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Dear Annie,
My husband carries his Beast in his pants pocket. When he pulled it out to read the wine list I was so disappointed..."

- I won't answer that -- This IS a family newspaper...

"Dear Annie,
My husband carries a flashlight around his neck all the time. When we go out to eat, he uses it to read the menu and the wine list, and the cheap jerk always orders hihs version of "surf and turf," which is really carp and woodchuck..."

- EEEeeewwwww!

"Dear Annie,
I'm sooooo embarassed. My husband always wears a flashlight around his neck when we go out so he can read the menu. But then he leaves it on and other people in the restaurant start to fall on the floor covering their eyes and screaming..."

- I,m sorree I cant' tyep thsi. Iwnet oooot to dinneerr lst nit and hewsa threerr... Oww, ow, ow.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chmsam said:
"Dear Annie,
My husband carries a flashlight around his neck all the time. When we go out to eat, he uses it to read the menu and the wine list, and the cheap jerk always orders hihs version of "surf and turf," which is really carp and woodchuck..."

- EEEeeewwwww!

[/ QUOTE ]

Carp and woodchuck, that is GREAT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

OK, guys, time to 'fess up! Who went out for a nice dinner the other night? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Whoever it was, you really need to give your wife a light (or a life, I dunno).