L4 Dissapointment!

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
I have just got an L4, a light I have wanted for ages, but I am very dissapointed with it as it has a really bad green tint, so bad in fact that I will not use it!

My question is, is there anyone here that I can send it to that can replace the emitter for a decently binned LED? I am not looking for anything mental, just something with a good white light.

thanks

stuart

cy

Flashaholic
Chop is the surefire mod guy to send to

but if it's that bad, I'd be calling surefire customer service. but don't know how they handle intnl customers.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
stuartyr said:
I have just got an L4, a light I have wanted for ages, but I am very dissapointed with it as it has a really bad green tint, so bad in fact that I will not use it!

My question is, is there anyone here that I can send it to that can replace the emitter for a decently binned LED? I am not looking for anything mental, just something with a good white light.

thanks

stuart

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be little consillation but "greenies" usually make extremely long running TW4's...albeit with green tint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LightHearted

Enlightened
This is just wrong. If it's that bad, you should send it back to Surefire. There is no way you should spend $160 on a flashlight only to find out it was green instead of white. I realize that there are different tints due to binning variations, but the best flashlight maker in the world really should have tighter tolerances for such things. It's really a shame. I would love to own one of these lights, but I would never put that much of my hard earned money on the line not knowing exactly what I were going to get. Sorry for the outburst. I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, for Surefire, the main requirement is that the light is bright and that the beam works - the color's less important in this case, and from what I recall is not considered a flaw. They even have a blurb in their warantee langauge somewhere indicating this, if I remember it correctly.

They don't sort by color - they sort by brightness. I don't know if they'd count the green as a defect, since what he may see as 'unusable' may be 'just a hint of green' to just about anyone else.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would contact Surefire and explain the situation to them. I'm willing to bet they will help you out if you approach it professionally.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
yeah, just send it back to SureFire and they'll fix it. That's what I did on an L1 that was blue and they sent a new one that's great.

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
Actually, for Surefire, the main requirement is that the light is bright and that the beam works - the color's less important in this case

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. I understand this, but I guess that's my whole point. I would think that a company that produces the finest illumination tools in the world would put a little more emphasis on the consistency of the color of the light their products produce. It just seems a bit strange to me to purchase what many people believe to be one of the best flashlights in the world only to find out it's output is greenish or blueish instead of white. I could understand this if it was from a lesser maker, but this is Surefire. I suppose if this is the best they can offer, then LED technology still has a ways to go before it reaches maturity.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. Like I said, I would love to own one of these great lights. I would just expect to know that I am getting a consistent white beam for that kind of money. That's just me. I'm sure there are probably others who could care less about the color.

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Although The light was sealed in the box, I didnt buy it from a SF dealer, cos there isnt that many of them in the UK, so I dont know where I stand on the warranty issue?

As mentioned, the light is plenty bright, but its just too green! Back to back with either my L6, Gladius or RAW, it would be hard to believe that it could actually be sold as white. I have actually ordered one of the new gen KL1s so that the torch isnt a total waste.

Should I contact Chop to see if he would be interested in modding the KL4?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to try the light outdoors before you change it out. I know it is not exactly what you want to hear, but slightly green tinged beams on a wall are actually quite good for looking in bushes and trees.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
stuartyr said:
. . . I didnt buy it from a SF dealer, cos there isnt that many of them in the UK, so I dont know where I stand on the warranty issue? . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has been that SureFire doesn't care where you got the light. They still stand behind it. I think your only concern will be the postage costs.

A phone call to them would be appropriate. I believe they'll be straight with you.

Paul

JohnF

Enlightened
My L2 is a quite green at the low setting, seems much whiter on 'high'. Is this normal? I can live with it, if, as someone here said, green = longer runtime.

John F
LV, NV

JohnF

Enlightened
Never mind the previous comment, I just checked more carefully against both a white and grey background, my L2 is greenish-yellow at both low and high compared to everything else I've got:

HDS Basic 60 GT - white as white can be
Inova T3 - as close as I can tell to the whiteness of the HDS
Gladius - ever so slightly bluer than the HDS
SF L2 - greenish on low, yellowish-green on high

Maybe I'll give SF a call after all...

John F

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KLM said:
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
Actually, for Surefire, the main requirement is that the light is bright and that the beam works - the color's less important in this case

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. I understand this, but I guess that's my whole point. I would think that a company that produces the finest illumination tools in the world would put a little more emphasis on the consistency of the color of the light their products produce. It just seems a bit strange to me to purchase what many people believe to be one of the best flashlights in the world only to find out it's output is greenish or blueish instead of white. I could understand this if it was from a lesser maker, but this is Surefire. I suppose if this is the best they can offer, then LED technology still has a ways to go before it reaches maturity.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. Like I said, I would love to own one of these great lights. I would just expect to know that I am getting a consistent white beam for that kind of money. That's just me. I'm sure there are probably others who could care less about the color.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surefire's main line of products is incandescents - which turn either kinda yellow or kinda orange, or maybe a hint of blue for a HID. Color isn't so much an issue as brightness, as noted - for most of their clients (military, LEO, outdoorsmen), this is about as big an issue as what color an energy bar is to a runner. They don't guarantee the tint, nor do they really NEED to - they're looking at brightness first. If you want tint control, you go with someone who either can custom-make lights for you, or who offers a 'guaranteed tint' feature such as HDS Systems (for a higher price, of course).

They, as noted before, look mostly for bright binned LEDs - whether it's blue-tinted, green-tinted, or purple-tinted is immaterial to them. And, for that matter, to their customers; most of them aren't busy hunting white walls, but rather people with guns who don't care what color of light is shone in their faces; they're going to shoot at you no matter what. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honestly, as I keep telling people - if you want a pure white beam, you go to a custom light maker, one who has the time and patience to test 50 parts to find the LED which meets your standards. Then you pay them the $300-400 for the work they've put into this light which is both well-deserved and which fulfills all the requirements you have of it - you don't go for the mass-produced light made for the lowest-common denominator, as it's not made to suit your exact needs or tastes, nor will the body of the light ever be the exact shade of mauve that you want.

For that sort of thing, talk to Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
[ QUOTE ]
KLM said:
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surefire's main line of products is incandescents - which turn either kinda yellow or kinda orange, or maybe a hint of blue for a HID. Color isn't so much an issue as brightness, as noted - for most of their clients (military, LEO, outdoorsmen), this is about as big an issue as what color an energy bar is to a runner. They don't guarantee the tint, nor do they really NEED to - they're looking at brightness first. If you want tint control, you go with someone who either can custom-make lights for you, or who offers a 'guaranteed tint' feature such as HDS Systems (for a higher price, of course).

They, as noted before, look mostly for bright binned LEDs - whether it's blue-tinted, green-tinted, or purple-tinted is immaterial to them. And, for that matter, to their customers; most of them aren't busy hunting white walls, but rather people with guns who don't care what color of light is shone in their faces; they're going to shoot at you no matter what. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honestly, as I keep telling people - if you want a pure white beam, you go to a custom light maker, one who has the time and patience to test 50 parts to find the LED which meets your standards. Then you pay them the $300-400 for the work they've put into this light which is both well-deserved and which fulfills all the requirements you have of it - you don't go for the mass-produced light made for the lowest-common denominator, as it's not made to suit your exact needs or tastes, nor will the body of the light ever be the exact shade of mauve that you want.

For that sort of thing, talk to Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Haesslich,

You make a pretty good point about Surefire's target customer. I guess if you're trying to blind someone from across a room the color of the light makes little difference. I do have a little bit of a hard time believing that anyone would choose an L4 for that task however. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great light. It's just that it seems to me that the L4 may have been designed for different purposes other than pointing at bad guys you are about to shoot. Don't you think that color rendition might be useful for some of those other purposes the light could be used for?

Thanks for the insightful discussion on a topic which I am only beginning to become familiar with. Didn't mean to drag this topic out the way it has been.

Ken
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif