Ever been victim of a crime?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a little social experiment. We read about crime in the papers and hear about it in the news. We worry about it and prepare against it. It is possible to believe that crime is rampant and unchecked based on popular media.

My question is have you ever been victim of a crime? If so, what? Have your family members been victimized? It would be interesting statistically for those who have never been victimized to answer this question and not just the people who have. Ever witness a crime?

Twice, I have had my cars broken into--one was my unmarked police car. Body armor was stolen (and I got a reprimand. Nice to see the criminals were never caught/punished, but I was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.
Victim-me
Auto theft
Vandalism
Workplace shooting

Victim-Spouse
Stalking
Terroristic threat

Victim-Daughter
Thank the Lord nothing yet and I pity the fool(s) who ever do!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think everyone has been a victum of a crime at least to some degree. Can you find a person who has never been shoved? A person who has never had even a small item go missing due to theft? A person who has never been sworn at? I would be surprised if such a person existed. Maybe a young child, but not an adult.

These kinds of crimes are so commonplace that they don't even get reported.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been burgled once, car broken into once, and had stuff ripped off a few times, plus one attempted assault.

Witnessed a naked woman running from her husband once. Turned out she was a wee bit intoxicated (nah, she was blitzed!) and he absolutely was no threat (no weapons, no threats, he had his clothes on, and she was twice his size on a good day). And because I know someone is wondering, she was not what I would call nubile, more "eeewww" than "ooooo."

Want to learn about your neighbors? Sit on a grand jury in a rural county. You don't want to know why I won't go to one local pizzeria any longer. Oh, my...

Several co-workers and I ran off five men that were harassing a twelve year old girl. Those were real he-men, huh? Funny how they were so respectful to two old fat guys and three kids under twenty five.

Criminals usually ain't what I would call brave but they can be dangerous. Remember that, folks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was sitting at a bus stop on a summer evening in the late-1980s, and two people came up. One kicked me in the head; the other stole my ghetto blaster. The police showed up soon after I called them, and we found the perpetrators just a few blocks away - ghetto blaster still blasting because they could not yet figure out how to turn it down/off.
I received the ghetto blaster back almost immediately, and the perps went to jail for some unknown number of months.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
victim=me

Vandalism ($2000 damage to my Oldsmobile in '97)
Theft ($300 worth of equipment '98)
Verbal Assaults and Battery (a few times but never felt the need to file reports)

Over 10 years ago I got laid out by a Drill Sgt. during basic training for no reason at all other than he was pissed about something. I wasn't the first. Near the end of AIT (OSUT) he wasn't around anymore.

I was hit in the face at work by a patient who was delusional--I put him in an armlock and called for help. We placed restraints on him and sedated him. Too bad I can't do that to more people who **** me off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Victim- me
2 muggings (1 involving knife to wife's throat, the other was more of an attempt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
1 verbal assault
1 attempted physical assault (security got to the guy before things got out of hand)

Victim- spouse
3 muggings (one involving a knife -she was with me)
1 assaults (by @#||! family member- this was before we met)

Victim- brother
3 muggings (that I know of -1 included a beating with no apparent reason, and another at gun-point)
2 car break-ins
1 physical assault (attacker ended up KO'd & a broken nose)
several bar fights
1 attempted carjacking- he got away

Victims- family
1 attempted carjacking (psycho was high on something, we left with minor injuries and a slightly dented rear door, dude was left...well... behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

1 attempted burglary (we all fought back and got away unscratched)

As you can see, my bro's "been around" more than I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My dad's list is longer.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Yes.

Although it was serious in one sense, it also falls twoard the minor vandalisim/prank category in another.

Two years ago some kids put a lye/aluminum bomb on my front porch. Aka 'The Works' bomb", or a "Drano Bomb". I didn't know the kids, and my best guess is that the "attack" was random because my front porch was somewhat secluded, but easily accessible on the street corner. I had noticed the gaggle of teens as I left to get pizza for dinner, and barely registered that they were watching me rather intently as I pulled back in about 10 minutes later.

Kids yapping and loitering on my corner is not uncommon during summer evenings, but I failed to notice that this group was not comprised of " our kids" from our neighbors homes.

I heard the bang, and since I was remolding the house at the time, I thought one of the pets had knocked over a big sheet of wood and it slapped the floor etc. Later I smelled the chemicals, and thought I had an electrical fire. After franticly searching the house, I finally found the remains of the exploded plastic soda bottle on my front porch.

Since the deed was now hours old, and the only real damage was a mildly messy puddle of spent lye and aluminum oxide slurry, I called my city's P.D. on the non-emergency line. I was surprised to see two cruisers screech up to my house in about 2.5 minutes flat. They took photos and bagged up the remains of the bomb. They told me that these "chemical bombs" were being reported all around the area, and that they were concerned.

Considering how I've played with things much more potent in the past (legally) in the pursuit of several hobbies, I wasn't too impressed, but realized a small child could find the unpopped "bomb" and catch an eyeful of hot lye. How seriously the police were taking it started to make sense.

I was however, able to provide the break in the case. When I saw the group of teens as I walked back in from the garage, one of them burped loudly, making the others laugh. I then heard the teenaged girl who lives kitty-corner yell out through their open windows that the boy ought to say "excuse me", making them laugh more. After remembering that, I told the officers they should interview the girl to see if she knew who they were.

I got a call a week later that they had their man (boy). It was literaly a case of the bomber being busted by the belch..

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened
Many and various....

I do remember the taste of a Colt .45 in my mouth. Think of Copper, the taste of blood. Age 16 whle working at a gas station.

There are others we wont discuss for various reasons.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Robbed at knifepoint by a gang of thugs many years ago.

Robbed at a transit station once (didn't get much money) by a perp with a fake gun.

Various random attacks.

Two attempts on my life - one with physical violence & threats, the other with a razor hidden in a sammich at a restaurant.

Cyberstalked once.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I thought blood tasted like iron, but it's been a long time since my last nosebleed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid, the house we were moving into was burgled. They took a TV out of a box and left it, but took the hat that was on it. They didn't take the rifle, but did take the rounds. This was the day before we were finished moving and did move in the next day.

I've been jumped by two people (this was when I was in high school) because they didn't like the fact that I had a Metallica backpatch on my jacket.

My parked car was hit and the fender trashed by someone who didn't leave a name or number. What really made me mad was that I had just gotten that fender repaired after it was hit by a fifty five gallon drum that fell out the back of a truck.

I've had some clothes and small stuff stolen by my wife's crackhead friends, and a couple months ago was about to draw on a psycho heroin addict if he'd his hand had move even an inch more towards his pocket.
And she's in recovery now. A month long treatment, and is attending AA, CA, and NA meetings. I'm praying that she can avoid a relaps.

Then there's all the road rage incidents, nothing big there. Cussing, the finger, tailgating, stuff like that.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Yes a few times, only two worth telling. The person that beat the tar out of my mailbox late one night got hung up somehow and ripped their Timex Indiglo off wich was fine after washing the blood off and getting a new band.Alot of tattered T shirt more blood on the road. My guess is it was your basic ballbat back of pickup type attack and my mailbox
sat on a treated four by four three feet in the ground two bags of Quickcrete. kid hit the post and got flung off the truck but thats my guess. Other one I was happy about someone was kind enough to drive up and steal several fishing poles (I got to get new ones) stole my pushmower (I got a riding mower now)and best of all, they stole my chainsaw ( I do not have to cut down trees anymore) so that was a good thing. Personal attacks? More than A few not much fun anymore gettin to bummed up for that.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I almost forgot...my car was broken into in 1987. The burglars took a red metal toolbox filled with all kinds of custom tools I needed for my job at the time, plus a 6xD cell Mag-Lite. The only tool I found in the car trunk was the azimuth adjustment tool for Pioneer laser disk drives from around that time. Guess the burglar didn't have and wasn't planning to buy or steal a laser disk drive.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Damn, where do you guys live? I either need to buy more guns, or move further out into the country (or both).

I've only had my truck vandalized... Once with eggs, once with clay pidgeons (long story), and once with a fire extinguisher (I stole laundry detergent from some coke dealers, this was their revenge).

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys really make me want to come to the USA.

all that's ever happened to me was being burgled (twice). oh and there was the attempted assault(?). girlfriend and I were walking down a notorious street in Adelaide at night (long story) and two substance-afflicted men started leering at us and coming towards us. we got in the car and drove away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Sure, every April 15th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ahh but seriously, yes, twice: Once when the jerks broke into my car, and again when the cops who responded treated me like a idiot for reporting it.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Datasaurusrex said:
Sure, every April 15th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ahh but seriously, yes, twice: Once when the jerks broke into my car, and again when the cops who responded treated me like a idiot for reporting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When my car was stolen the police towed it to the station for finger printing then to the wrecking/storage yard.
I get the call and go to the wrecking yard where it is still on the hook only to find out that I have to pay for TWO tows and one days storage!
I told the Chief of police that I was victimized TWICE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Kickbacks........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif