high power bipolar (red/green) LEDs?

billw

Enlightened
Does anyone make a reasonably high power and/or very high brightness
red/green bipolar LED? Something about 0.5W would be ideal...

Thanks
Bill W

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
could you use it the same in your application if it was common cathode ?
+RED-Green+
because there are 2 high power RGB leds (at least) that would work like that.

can you Tie 2 together? with a red and a green reversed, with the 5v reverse voltages on most of this stuff, you can pair them up to get different colors (like a bipolar) as long as you didnt get to high in the reverse. or just stick some diodes in.

|---->|-@----|
|----@-|<----|

in all the things i have seen, only 5MM bipolars have ever shown up im my searches, but there is undoubtedly lots i have not seen.

hey would this work with a rgb?

|---+Red-|-Green+---|
|---->|---|---|<-------|

brain fry??, the idea being that when power is going in one direction, the diode BYPASSES one of the leds, the cathode is TIED, but not connected, the reverable voltage goes in at both + sides. that isnt correct, but something like that might work.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go. This should work I think. Just use a red and a green 1W LS. They seem to be pretty cheaply available nowadays.

cct1.jpg

Only things to watch there, is that you use a resistor rated for the power it's passing, and that the diodes are rated to withstand the maximum reverse voltage.

As I recall, 1N2004 diodes are 1A and 1000V - but that's from memory, so go check first...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
try lsdiodes.com they have a RGB 4 lead led that would work. They also have bi colors other than RG

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
then just add a bit more resistance to the red one, if you want them to be similar in power consumption.