Help me find a flashlight.

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a small, cheap light that will be used at my office at work. It will be used mostly for short range applications, with the occasional mid range(under 50ft though). I would prefer it;

1)Be on the smallish side. No more than say 6 inches long.
2)Be really inexpensive(so it won't hurt so bad if it gets "borrowed" and not returned). I'd like to keep it under $20 or so. (If no one can think of something that cheap, I might raise the maximum price to $25.)
3)Be found locally(you know, at Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc)
4)Uses easy-to-find and inexpensive batteries(AAA or AA).
5)Don't care if it's LED or incandescent, as long as it's fairly bright and has a decent beam and side spill.

When I'm out at these stores, I look all the flashlights at the flashlight counter and wonder if any are any good(I have my different Mags, but I'm not that impressed). Any suggestions??

X33

Enlightened
What about the Streamlight Luxeon Jr? Runs on 2AA. The only one I can think of from here. Is closer to $30 as far as I know. Check flashlightreviews.com.

DaveT

Enlightened
If you've already got Minimags, I'd highly recommend converting them to LEDs with the MJLED. Very simple conversion (drill out the reflector and snip leads on the LED), very cheap ($5 each) and a big improvement over the stock Minimag.

Bob_Ulhedd

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Uncut High Power White 5mm/25 degree LED from the Sandwich Shoppe. Easy to install in a Mini Mag by enlarging the hole in the reflector. Similar to the MJLED. Link here.

WDR65

Enlightened
Modding the Minimag's would be about the most cost effective solution. I haven't aqquired an led mod for any of mine yet, but that's next. One thing you can do to make a bright incadescent mod for the Minimag is to buy Streamlight Twintask 1L (1 cell lithium) bulbs and drill the mag reflector so that they fit. The bulbs cost about $5 for a two pack and make a very bright long throwing little light. Especially with lithium AA's. This was originally suggested to me by DavidfromItaly and I've modded several of my Minimags to accept this.

Another Idea would be something like the Princeton Tec LED lights. They are generally around $20-$25 at local stores, don't know what you have in the area, but here REI and Great Outdoor Provision Company have them. Also the Streamlight 4AA incadescent is a very bright little light for around $20, and it has a clickie tailcap as a plus. Its about as bright as my Surefire E2D and it throws a bit farther. Good luck with the search.

LightHearted

Enlightened
Cheap (under $20) and bright probalby means incan. The Princeton Tec Rage can be had for about $15 at most sporting good stores. It takes 4 AAAs and has lots of spill and good enough throw for under 50'. You can check their website to locate a dealer near you. If you can't find it locally, Bright Guy has them for about $10.

If you want brighter, you can go for the PT Surge. It takes 8AAs and puts out more light than a Surefire with a P61. About $25 from Bright Guy.

Enjoy your search,
Ken

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 1, 2AA Mini M*glite at my local Target for $8.79 (tax not included)

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Argent60.

Don't know whether you will be interested, but I'd have some comparison and built notes for making various 5mm leds and MJ led modded Minimag in the Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag mod. And they are all under $10 budget and fun to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with your search! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fivebyfive

Enlightened
How about the Princeton Tec-40. It uses 4AA batteries, easily found at your local sports store, about $15, definately under six inches, has a textured reflector good for short to medium range applications, and uses an incadescent PR-type bulb that can easily be found in any retail store.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sale at Target on all M*glites. June 12-18, 2005.

dsc004615qq.jpg
Target Ad Actual Ad, click link

Latest posts