Fellow Gladius Owners, I have another question!

moeman

Enlightened
Hi,
I was just playing with my lights in the dark.(go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif )
While checking out the low level on the Gladius I noticed when using it for longer than a minute and then turning it off, the LED was still putting out a small amount of light for around 3 seconds.
I tried to do the same on the higher levels, but was dazzled by the light and couldn't tell.
Is this normal? Does yours do the same?
Am I making any sense?
thanks!!!
chris
another question:
<font color="blue"> Does your tailcap rattle? </font>

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fellow Gladius Owners, I have a question!

Mine does it too, it also does it when it has been on high.
Leave it on for more then one minute on high while not looking at the beam at all.
Turn it off and immediately look at the led and it will do the same slow dim to dark. I don't know that the Gladius is ever actually completely OFF unless the system is locked out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

hmmm... maybe there's some capacitor that powers down... or maybe it needs to be on to remember settings (does it have settings?)

Mark2

Enlightened

Another thing I noticed on my Gladius: the light in the momentary-on mode is slightly brighter than in the constant-on mode. To test, turn it on on the brightest level in constant-on mode, then select momentary-on mode and press the button while looking at the beam.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

I've been looking at the Gladius as a possible future purchase... what do you all think of them? How do they compare to Surefires? Why do you like or dislike them?

Best wishes,
Bawko

rscanady

Enlightened

There is a Gladius passaround going on right now, so keep your ears tuned to the review section to get some input, I will have my review with pics up by Monday.

Ryan

SolarFlare

Enlightened

The EDC U60 does it too, called "pre-off" must be somat to do with the magic gubbins thats in these two lights, however on the HDS you can turn the pre-off on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif for a very very low setting infact ya cant really tell its on, the emitter just seems to change colour from yellow to white/blue

moeman

Enlightened

okay,
that makes sense, its just the way it works....
i am very happy with the Gladius overal,
let me put it this way Bawko:
I sold my L5 that i had for over a year... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
thanks for all the input!
chris

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark2,
I noticed that too and while I do not know much about the electronics in this light, it seems to be another part of the genius of its design. Momentary on is when I would need the most possible light and since it will not be on long the LED can be a little driven harder. It could just be a serendipitous coincidence, but until told otherwise I will concider it to be part of the design. It could also have something to do with the fact that the continous on mode also is a push button dimmer mode. Either way it works and works very well.

Another thing I noticed is that the thermal circuit protection works exactly as claimed in the manual. The 50% reduction in power really does give a 30% reduction in light until the unit cools enough to power itself back up or shut off if the reason for the overheating is not remedied in the first place. I know this because I was taking lux readings at the time.

Also if you hold it to your ear and push continuous on and hold till it starts to dim you may hear a high pitched whine until the light is dim. The sound gets lower as the light gets dimmer. Mine actually makes that very faint whine as long as it is on high.

Also, don't let the knurling of Nuwai TM-801X-1 (Triple 1 watt) or
TM-801X-3 (Triple 3 watt) come in contact with the ceramic coat of the Gladiius unless you want it scratched off. The knurling of my TM-801X-3 rubbed against one of the lugs and now it has a shiny spot. Of course do not let the knurling of those two lights come in contact with anyting including eah other. It is funny because they are very comfortable to hold and that is where I got a little careless when carying five or six lights outside to compare.
They will remove any anodizing off of anything unfortunate enough to come in contact with them. Yes that even includes the holy grail of CPF finishes Military Grade Type 3 hard anodize. My Nightcutter M60L volunteered it's crenated bezel for the test. The reason I mention this is because while the ceramic finish is very hard, it is not invinsible. All finishes will scratch and wear over time or even real fast in the wrong circumstances.

Since Atomic Chicken asked for thoughts about these lights I will mention one last point. I disagree with anybody that complains about the plastic rotary dial/tailcap (Mine does rattle a little, I believe it is designed to have a little play.). Several CPF members cited the original impact test where the light was thrown 50 in the air twice and the second time the rotary dial/tailcap broke, but the switch still operated properly. Think about that for a minute. The design of the Gladius requires the switch to have a little play. If Night-Ops put an aluminum rotary dial on these as some have suggested then after that second drop the Gladius could have ended up with a an entact rotary dial and broken switch (Bent and unable to move or possibly snapped.).
It seems to me that the "plastic" serves a great safety function. If the light is going to receive an impact that will provide enough force to damage the rotary mechanism itself the plastic will break while taking the brunt of the impact and sparing the switch itself. Like a crumple zone protecting passangers in a car only in this case the passenger is the switch itself.
Or you could say the Gladius switch as it's own Samurai in the Rotary dial/Tailcap. I personally would rather have a broken rotary dial and functioning switch then an entact rotary dial and a immovable broken switch.
The part of the test people seem to miss is "... light and pushbutton tailcap plunger and rotary selection still function." If Ken is out there he can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me the test was a success not a failure.

I will not go into all of my thoughts, tests, and details of how I have done these now but may post this info. when I get some time in the review section.

Atomic Chicken, I hope some of this information has been useful to you.

Added Section-
PS. Needless to say I really, really like this light.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

Thanx for noticing!!!

To be perfectly honest, I think you guys as a crew are crazy, awesome, down to the core aficionados!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We elected not to specifically publish all the specs as folks were initially stating how "complicated" the light was and how difficult it would be to operate.

We tried to keep the major features in the forefront.

The beauty of the onboard digital programming is that in fact we can precisely control what every channel and every tailcap action does. We can have the light tap out the Star Spangled Banner in Morse Code if a client wanted us to program it that way!

In fact we have specific power output/curves for every action of the rotary dial/tailcap.

We went to great lengths to differentiate ourselves from the existing competitors and I hope it shows and proves to be useful for those that go in harms way.
Many, many hours of brainstorming and practical testing went into the current protocol scheme/programming. It was a great mixing of engineering perspectives, operational requirements and production realities. We are not interested in being different for difference sakes. We truly desire to move things forward in a positive direction.

Back to the Gladius in particular:
I use the analogy; this thing is a computer in an aluminum tube that happens to have an LED! The rotary dial and tailcap are your input device/mouse.

For example, in the Constant/On channel there is a specific ramp down of power almost imperceptible to the human eye. If you leave the light on in this mode it will begin to back off the power, giving the user an extended runtime (est. 2.5+ hours) without any appreciable loss of viewing area.

Momentary and Strobe have their own curves. The time, dwell of the change speed of the adjustment channel was carefully selected with operational requirements in view.

We have been blasted by folks telling us the plastic tailcap will not withstand impact.
Yet to date, we have not had one problem in this area with the production lights. Will problems arise? Time will tell and we will adapt if required. Can it be broken? Yes, it will have to be a powerful blow this we know.

The weakest link I am aware of is the attachment of the push button to the shaft and a user might lose this on a drop. Easily fixed and dealt with.

We wrestled at length with material selection on the tailcap. We ended up specifically chosing high-impact plastic to create a potential break-away system from the internal shaft. Even stripped of the rotary dial and pushbutton cap, the light will function just fine. Although the light will not look good, it will continue to function in a combat situation. The pedigree and designed use of this light is for combat.

The tailcap internal ball bearings do rattle a bit when the entire light is shaken. This is normal at this point. We have a unique waterproof, pressure equalizing design. We are looking at a couple of potential inline changes to eliminate this less than perfect rattle. Don't get me wrong if you have not handled this light. I did not notice it until an end-user brought it up.

We are end-user driven, so any and all suggestions for improvement, complaints are taken extremely seriously.

This is our first light and we will improve our internal processes, end product, customer service as things move ahead.

I want to say again publicly and loudly….THANK YOU ALL for helping us get this product off the ground by purchasing and support this new offering.

moeman

Enlightened

Hey Ken,
thank you for the post!!!
and don't get me wrong, i am completely happy with my Gladius!
i was just wongering is all...
thanks again for all the posts and info,
chris

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Ken,

Thanks for the excellent post regarding your product!
If you are truly end-user driven, would you consider a request by some of your more technically proficient buyers to release your programming scheme/protocol? This would sweeten the deal for me personally to the point that I can almost guarantee a sale of at least 2 or 3 lights...

Best wishes,
Bawko

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken,
Thanks for the post and explanations. Your light truly is a work of genius.
It is so simple and intuitive to use yet is so tough and versatile. The more people who I show it to understand technology the more their jaws drop when they see what it can do.

The Gladius and my modified NightCutter M60L are my must have lights when I am on a long solo mtb ride day or night because you never know what may happen.

mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened

Another very happy "crazy ... aficionado" Gladius owner. It is my EDC. I have no concerns about the plastic tailcap. I, in fact, am looking forward to an all polymer version.

PS I was tellimg a friend how well-thought-out the design was when he objected to the lack of any markings showing what setting the light was on -- I demonstrated how one could tell the setting by feel and then asked hin: "If it had markings, how would you read them in the dark ..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the Gladius is all everyone says it is (I'm sure it actually is)
I plan on using mine as a duty light once it ships.