Small pressure washer?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I searched and couldn't find pressure washers discussed here anywhere - anyone familiar with our search function knows that I may not have "spent enough time" with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm looking for a small pressure washer to use for the BBQ grill, lawn furniture, light deck cleaning, etc.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but would like something that's not going to break in a week or two.

Electric would be fine, though gas isn't out of the question. The gas units are noiser, larger, perhaps require a little more maintenance, etc...

I'd say I'm looking in the $90-$150 price range? Thoughts, suggestions, comments, experiences? Thanks!

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try to avoid electric if you can even the best electric doesn't compare to a small gas powered unit.
I have a 5HP Honda on a Karcher, it allows me to switch between many types of spray configurations. Something else to look for is if it has a hose for solvents, some use a venturi style valve to allow you apply different solvents for different applicatins.
If you decide on an electric I have seen a Simonize unit that hangs on the wall and provides quite a few options.
Wall unit

When you get one of these home you will find many uses for it, so you may end up using for it than you think.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used one in a residential setting, but having used them for years on boats and other aquatic items, gas powered is the way to go. I powerwash at work constantly with an electric, and I hate knowing that I could cut my work in half using a "real" powerwasher. .

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
We have a small Karcher electric. It works fine within it's limits. The smaller the unit, narrower the swath that it cleans. It takes an hour to thoroughly clean a 16 x 8 foot slab of concrete driveway. That's a long time, doing 2 to 4 inch wide areas.

While I'm sure the bigger ones are better, I've not had problems cleaning lawn furniture and stuff with mine. It fits on a shelf in the garage, too.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I read it here in CPF... But I could not find the post.

I read somewhere that the better (and more expensive) pressure washers had their water pump cylinders set 90 degrees to the input drive shaft (think standard gasoline engine configuration).

The pumps that failed most quickly, had the cylinders set inline with the input power shaft (uses swash plate to drive pistons?). And although these "in-line" pumps are on less expensive units, this style plump still costs a bunch to repair/replace.

The writer recommended the "90 degree pumps" as the more cost effective solution.

For what it is worth...

The size/power of the unit you will want to use is really based on the amount of area you will need to clean. I needed to clean tractor scuff marks and mud from a large concrete patio after a construction project and first used a small electric (perhaps gasoline) unit and it would not even touch the ground in marks (1,500 PSI or less).

Went out and rented a ~9+ horse power Honda powered unit (2,500 PSI or a bit larger), and not only instantly removed the ground in rubber and mud, you could write your name by etching the concrete with the water pressure.

I have seen units rated by Pressure Times GPM and, from what I have seen, it is a pretty good representation of cleaning power. If you are looking for something to do light cleaning, anything will probably work. If you need more—you will probably have to go with a larger gas or commercial type electric (obviously more than your initial price range).

You might try renting or borrowing a smaller electric washer and see if it will do what you need. But I would not expect too much from it.

-Bill

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I am in this business. I think the 90 degree thing was me.

I can't stress enough, that cheap ain't the way to buy!

We have a 4hp verticle shaft machine at the shop right now. It won't make any more than the pressure of the waterhose when running. It is because the pump SUCKS!

The thing looks brand new.

If you DO buy a cheapy, be sure you run it (actually pump water) at least every two weeks. Long sit time is killer. Also try to NEVER let go of the trigger. Most of these cheap pumps have the unloader built into the head. The whole thing is aluminum (with Brass being FAR superior!). And unloading eats up the seat (which ain't replaceable!).

But I would HIGHLY recommend something that looks like this: http://www.alkota.com/products/showCategory.asp?CategoryID=242

If you can find one like this at Lowes, Home Depot etc. you will likely pay upwards of $900. But it will last way better than three times longer than the $300 cheapy!

I KNOW this isn't what you wanted to hear. But trust me on this one! I know that of which I speak!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Sigman,
I would recommend you keep your eye out for a 5hp lightly used one but where you live you might be waiting a long time. The vast majority of the 5hp units will be homeowners that rarely use it. Anything over 9hp will almost for sure have been commercially used. For me, I would take a 750psi unit pumping 5 gallons a minute over a 2000PSI unit pumping 1.5 gallons a minute. Cleaning units really do correspond to overall performance. I had a side biz my last 3 years in the Corps and I owned a 4 gal. a minute 3000 PSI unit and it was very rare I needed more PSI but I often wish I had more water volume. Slightly off topic but a problem you have with a unit that's over 4gpm is you need a tank to store water because most houses won't make 5+ gallons a minute from a hose. Obviously that's not the direction you want to go but I don't want someone to go buy a big 5-6 gal. a minute machine without knowing the downside. I don't have the gear anymore but I do have one of the elec. units that was given to me used as a gift. When I need to clean my house again I will go rent one from Home Depot as I wouldn't even attempt it with a an electric.

My sister and her husband went in with my Dad on a 5hp recently. Dad paid for the unit and the deal is they must keep his house, driveway and sidewalks clean. Maybe you could find a partner up there to split the cost or offer services.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The smaller gas units certainly look sturdier and more reliable, but I'm really only talking blowing the dirt/dust off the lawn furniture, the grill and an occasional "clean out the curbs".

I don't "think" I'll be doing any of the heavier cleaning. I'm really trying to stay under $150...but I am subject to "suggestion" (not to mentin facts and experience!)...

You guys have me re-thinking now!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
If you don't plan on cleaning concrete or your house then the elec. will probably be fine. I don't know if they have it but IMO a chemical injector is a must.

I tell you what I'll do. I will try and get out the elec. today and clean the grates on my grill. If it cleans then completely I will give the elec. a thumbs up. I've never even used it so this might be a fun experiment, at least until I get a big greasy backsplash.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Husky 1650 electric power washer review

I liked the approx. 30-40' power cord with a GFI plug. The washing hose is only about 15-20' feet long and I would like it a bit longer. The head of the power head is adjustable from tight pin type stream to approx. 40 degree fan. The adjustment is easy and can be done without stopping. The system comes with a hose quick connect which by design must be used. I don't like quick connects but not a big deal. The back of the unit has a chemical tank. I assume you just pour in bleach or soap and it sprays it until empty. I didn't try it. There is also another head but I didn't try to use it. IF it's a rotaing head which makes a cone then it might have saved me some time.

I cleaned my gas grill and my riding mower.

I could only cut the baked on grime on the grates and inside the lid with the pin stream setting, anything less did nothing. I left the grates in place so I destroyed my briquettes in the process but they need replacing anyway. It took me approx. 20 minutes to clean the whole grill but I didn't clean it completely. It's very time consuming working with the pin stream because it only cleans about a 1" area but like I said before, if you went wider it wouldn't do anything and I had to stay with the pin stream on the entire grill. Bottom line, you can clean a very dirty grill, grates and all with the machine as long as you have plenty of time.

The mower was easier and I was able to use about a 20 degree spray pattern. This tells me the machine will work well on lawn furniture.

Summary: It worked better than I thought it would but I still cannot say I am impressed. For what it's designed for, furniture, washing your car and the like, it's a capable machine that's easy to use and has a small form factor for storage. For cleaning a house or concrete, forget it. The machine puts out enough force on pin stream that if you shot someone with it at 2-3' it would probably hurt them. If I use it again to clean the grill I will add a de-greaser to the chemical tank but I'm not confident that will help speed up the process.

Sig, if you clean the grill once or twice a year and the other cleaning is lawn furniture then this machine will work.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the cheap electric ones from Home Depot a month ago. It has yet to actually pump any water at all. The quick release valve where you attach the hose was never actually glued or fitted together and whenever I turn on the water it just flies apart. I did startup the motor and it sounds like it would pump water if I could get any water into the thing.

I emailed their tech support to ask if I got a defective one or just didn't understand how it was supposed to work. No answer.

I haven't tried to call them as I bought it 2 days before going out of town and wasn't able to find the time to return it or call them before leaving. So I'm going to try PVC cement on the thing this coming week and see if I can make it pump some water at least.

These are not home depot branded machines, but they are made specifically for home depot, I forget the brand name, but I'm never ever going to buy something that cheap again. Very unhappy with it.

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
I tried one of the sub-$150 electric pressure washers a few years ago. Can't remember the brand, but it wasn't Karcher - it was something that Sam's club offered. In any case, I returned it after one use. I ended up sticking with an electric, though, since I needed to be able to haul it in the trunk of the car and I didn't want the trunk to smell like gas. I considered a Karcher, but at the time I'd read several reviews that were less than glowing. Personally, I didn't like the plastic connectors used to hook up the high pressure hose & wand parts.

I bought this one from Northern Tool. AR-brand triplex pump (well, the whole thing's made by AR) with ceramic plungers, adjustable pressure (at the pump), brass fittings, induction motor, seems very well built. I've had it for about 5 years with no problems at all.

That being said, I've loaned it to a couple of friends who liked it, but ended up buying a pressure washer with a gas engine for the additional power.

When I was looking, I got a fair amount of info (mostly reports of problems with certain brands) from the alt.home.repair, misc.consumers, and misc.consumers.house Usenet groups.

- Dwayne

DarkLight

Enlightened
I recently got a 2600 lb Karcher contractor model(brass pump)...and it rocks...Subaru motor....I clean lots o concrete with it ......

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We have an electric cold water out in the pump house right now. It does 2.8 gallons at about 1200psi. We mostly wash off the mowers with it. It at least DOES have a decent tri-plex pump.

I still can in no way, shape or form recommend a vertical shaft machine, and in VERY few cases would I recommend a macine with a pump that isn't tri-plex (MAYBE a brass head swash plate pump...).

If you do buy a cheapy, GOOD LUCK! 'Cause you're gonna need it! DO use it often and carefully!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well wanting to get in on "Father's Day Sales" (and get actual possession of a unit before they were gone)...

I got an electric "Coleman" something or other with an induction motor. I didn't open it, searched for more information on the internet and couldn't find any - so took it back.

Then I looked at Home Depot at the HD Powerwasher 1650 psi and the HD Weekender that puts out 1300 psi. I believe they are both made by "Husky" for Home Depot. Knowing that an induction motor is better - I couldn't find out what the smaller unit had. Dave provided an EXCELLENT review of the 1650 unit (THANKS Dave!). Coupled that information with the July issue of Consumer's Reports...and...

Went to Sams's Club and bought a "Karcher K3.81 @1650psi". Still not opened, looking at today's Sear's ad at their little gas "Clean and Carry" unit (2150 psi) - I'm thinking maybe this little unit would be the "best of both worlds" for my needs. An "upgrade" from the electric (though a little more than I wanted to spend) and perhaps a little more reliable/sturdier built?

You know how you sometimes look back and say, "I should have just spent a little more and got..." - maybe this is the case here. Yeah, too much thinking out loud. You realize I'm merely trying to protect my wallet and try and get the most "quality & use" for my money.

I still have possession of the Karcher and may keep it (my Sears is out of the "Clean and Carry" though I can order it.)...still gathering info! I like to be an "informed" consumer if at all possible. Your input is helping to narrow it down and I do appreciate the input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got the cheapest one wally mart sold (of course)
hook it up to the hot water, worked great, for about 6 washes, then the seal blew, and i replaced it, and it blew again, . . . etc.
finally i just locked it ON, it leaks out all over the gun, still but it is enough power to accidentally strip paint off where its chipped, so the POS if i can keep it running worked fine.
If i replaced ONLY the PARTS that were plastic junk, it would probably cost more than the thing was worth, its luckly i had a bunch of seals, and could slap something together, the duct tape didnt hold long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hunt's over - I got the little Sears "Clean and Carry".

Hopefully it will give me some long term use. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but for the extra $$ - looks to be a lot better "build quality". Now let's hope it performs!

Thanks to all for the input!!