Beam adjustment on TwinTask

Tom_Dunn

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Streamlight TwinTask 3c a couple days ago. Nice unit, and I'm sure I'll come to like it even more as time, and battery life, go by. Was out last night messing with it some. I was a bit dissapointed, frankly, in the Xenon performance. It's bright enough but seems to have very little "cast". I cranked on the focus this way and that, but the difference, if any, was pretty subtle, not at all like my 3-D MagLight adjustment.In fact, although I have no accurate way of measuring it, I'd not be too surprized to find that one of my little PrincetonTec "Blasts" could outperform it (with fresh batteries!). The light also appeared very yellow, but I'm thinking maybe thats just because you run thru the very white LED modes to get to it.
All in all, I'm happy, but if the focus is indeed "working as designed", when it comes to putting some light on something at a distance, say 40-50 yards, this unit just won't cut it. Is the focus adjustment limited by the small reflector size, or compromised by the facets of the reflector? Could I have recieved a light with a "focus defect" of some type?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light too and find it be an ideal light for its intended purpose. The reflector is both faceted and shallow, which causes the central spot to spread out and cover a wide area, rather than focus sharply on a small point. This is a task light and is designed to be used while performing tasks around the house or on the job. While the MagLite is an excellent thrower, I find it be of little use for close-in work.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have 1L 2L 3AA and 3C TTs, and of them my 3C has closer to what I would call throw than the other 3.

The limitation seems to be the faceting. But overall it is a more useful beam than 90% of the M*glights out there!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Twin-Task 3C has throw that is quite poor compared to other incandescents. In fact, even modestly-throwing LED lights such as the KL1 will beat it. The faceting on the reflector removes the beam artifacts that would otherwise be introduced by the LED holes, but you pay a penalty in the tightness of the beam.

Still, I like it as a general-purpose flashlight. I keep mine in the glove box of my car. The technology of the Twin-Task lights is over two years old, but I feel no urge to get rid of mine and replace it with something newer.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned in the above posts. The Twin Task are great for the intended purposes for around house or shop. Whether it be in the kitchen drawer, your tool box or glove box for the price it's a good deal, imho.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned in the above posts. The Twin Task are great for the intended purposes for around house or shop. Whether it be in the kitchen drawer, your tool box or glove box for the price it's a good deal, imho.