Cheapest way to insure extra car (maybe vintage)

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
So I'm thinking about getting an extra car, probably won't drive it much at all. Maybe a truck, to use for dump runs and such. Any idea what the least expensive option is for insuring an extra vehicle?

I might nix the truck idea and get a vintage car instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Any tips on insuring an extra car if it's vintage?

You'd think it was a no brainer to have insurance follow the person, not the car (liability anyways). After all you can only drive 1 car at a time lol.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My brother uses one of the many classic auto insurance companies for his vintage cars (1961 Cadillac, 1966 Toronado, 1970 Mark III). Generally, the requirements are: the car is 25 years old or more, is used less than a certain number of miles, is garaged or in a driveway when not in use, and you have another vehicle that you use as your primary transportation. Typically, insurance will run something like $25 annually. I think this company is the one he uses but I'm not sure.

[ QUOTE ]

You'd think it was a no brainer to have insurance follow the person, not the car (liability anyways). After all you can only drive 1 car at a time lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this concept 100%.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: Cheapest way to insure extra car (maybe vintag

I've always thought that would make sense too. Set the basic insurance based on a driver, then add comprehensive for each car as desired.

To hear the insurance companies talk, it's the medical costs that make insurance so expensive. That does not explain why two cars are $1,200 per year and 3 are $1,800. There are only two drivers in the house.

grumble..grumble..grumble

Daniel

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have always kept One "dump run" thing legal for the road, and its just a drain :-( between the insurance, the registration, and the age wearing on the rubber, cleaning it, keeping the battery charged, keeping the gas in it "fresh" means i have to use it everyonce in a while. its painfull to keep.
why do i still do it? backup i guess, i could pay sombody for a dumpster 2X a year for what i pay for it, mabey a taxi twice too. but then what IF i actually needed it for transporation.

i try and keep the gas tank FULL, because less water will condence in it, if there is less air to move in and out of it. that might be helpfull.

i think i would sell it in a second, if sombody would pay me just what i forked over to keep it running perfect , like CA smog laws stuff.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Costco and Home Depot are selling a small trailer that tilts to roll on heavy equipment, and the front and rear "gates" can be installed flat to carry long loads (about 5' by 8' with gates up, better than 12' with gates down and no overhang), plus it is pretty close to the ground--much easier to hoist stuff in vs pickup, rated 2,000 lbs load--already took a bunch of wet logs to dump at close to 3,000 lbs without any problem .... All for roughly $650-$700.

I already have taken some sheets of 4' by 8' plywood to make temporary 4' sides for dump runs. Works great.

And in California, for something like $15 you get a 5 year license.

If I did not already have a pickup--I would just throw a hitch on the van and call it a day.

-Bill

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

The two things that always used to screw me were losing the use of my vehicle, or my computer. Either one would totally criple my life.

After my mother became terminally ill (she was living with me), I transfered her car into my name and tried to get insurance. Once I explained that she was no longer capable of driving, they lowered the rate dramatically. So it seems the trick is to convince them that you're the only one driving those two vehicles.

I'll never go back to just one car. Once you have two, you'll love the peace of mind in knowing that if there's a problem, you can just take the other one, and deal with repairing the first one when you get a chance.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
Costco and Home Depot are selling a small trailer

[/ QUOTE ] Ok ok ok, I admit it... I want a V-8! A big truck, a camaro, a stang or a rock crawler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Something like that. Won't see much use at all, under 5k per year I'd guess.. upkeep is no problem but I don't want to pay through the nose for insurance LOL.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

I have situation where I drive a company car primarily (free gas!) and own my own vehicle also. In years past the vehicles I owned would be old beaters, and one Cadillac that qualified as "vintage" (over 20 years old). I bought low amounts of personal injury and liabilty, and carried no collision coverage to lower the insurance. I would have lost the car in any collision claim because any insurance adjuster would have totalled the car for anything bigger than a ding on a fender. Just buy the insurance for taking care of your liabilty for damages to other people/motor vehicles and you should keep your cost down.