5W VWOT QIII mod

Sengoku

Enlightened
Since no one has tried this, i thought i'll give it a go.

this might look like an ordinary QIII...

dscn25733ya.jpg

I replaced the 3w SWOK(stock) with a 5W VWOT

dscn25726zs.jpg

dscn25707vh.jpg

Using the stock driver i got the following results:-
Current draw
4.2v R123- 0.77A Preferable
3v CR123- 0.56A
1.7v AA lithium- 0.41A
1.5v AA alkaline- 0.39A
1.2v AA Ni-Mh- 0.36A

Yepp it runs on AA cells aswell, this might be the first and only single AA powered 5w light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Now all i need is those battery adapters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Using the stock reflector, it puts out a wall of light, very similar to a L4 but without the donut hole, great for walking your dog at night.
Wonder how a SO20XA or McR20 will perform?

dscn25771xu.jpg

No runtime tests with a R123 yet, but since it draws only 770mA, should expect an hour? The light did get pretty warm after 5min, but not burning.

Also i replaced the stock polycarbonate lens with the 2mm thick LionCub UCL lens(21.3mm) for the extra 9% more light! it drops right in and fits perfectly, i found the 22.6mm UCL for maglites too large, which involved sanding to fit.

dscn25762ay.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
One cell five watt pocket rocket! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif very nice!

Did you measure the current draw at the tailcap? If so, you can expect an hour's runtime off it but it will not accurately measure the amount of power going to the LED since you have to factor in the regulator.

A guesstimate of what's reaching the LED on a R123 - I'll take it as 4V under load, 770mA at the tailcap, so that's 3.08 watts. Multiply that by the efficiency factor of the regulator (80% assumed) and divide by the LED Vf (6.5V assumed) to get ~380mA reaching the LED.

The good news is that at low levels LEDs are more efficient and it will not generate too much heat.

Sengoku

Enlightened
Thanks Kevin, i never did know how to work out the current to the led! yep all readings was measured from the tailcap. Only 380mA to the led! thats pretty bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ledean

Enlightened
Sengoku.
Never knew that the Q3 can run on 1.5 v.
I tried it and it was bright.
Should try the 5w next running on 1.2v . That is something.
How is the brightness comparison between a 5w and a 3w both on 1.5 v.
Thanks

Sengoku

Enlightened
ledean: the 3w runs brighter because of the low Vf(J-K)
The driver is boosting the 1.5v to about 6v for the 5w luxeon to actually work, still quite bright though. I recommend sticking with R123s with this mod.
I've tried it with Ni-Mh 1.2v, that works aswell.

Ledean

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sengoku said:
ledean: the 3w runs brighter because of the low Vf(J-K)
The driver is boosting the 1.5v to about 6v for the 5w luxeon to actually work, still quite bright though. I recommend sticking with R123s with this mod.
I've tried it with Ni-Mh 1.2v, that works aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just tried the Q3with a 5w . I am still surprised you can run a 5W with a 1.2 Ni-Mh.
It is not as bright as the 3w but it hardly generates any heat.

Atomlite

Newly Enlightened
Based on Kelvin estimation, about 3 watts is delivered to the led using r123. What is the brightness as compared to the 3w led both using r123?. Beamshots of both?.

Sengoku

Enlightened
Ledean: I know, its pretty amazing for a 1.2v ni-mh to power a 5w with a vf. of 6v! your right, very little heat and should run for an hour!

Atomlite: sorry i dont have another Q3 to compare in photos but the can tell you that the 3w has more throw and the 5w is a total flood light.

dc

Newly Enlightened
Actually i'm not surprise at all cos my L2 will also run on one 1.2v nimh and it produce a neat flood, albiet a dim one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rgrds,
Daniel

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sengoku: Maybe it's not all bad, because LEDs are more efficient at low levels, and you don't have to manage the huge amount of heat coming out of the LuxV at full blast. As long as you're happy with the output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To measure the current at the LED, you have to disconnect one of the wires going to the LED and wire your multimeter between the LED and the converter. Quite a lot of hassle. I usually measure tailcap current and then do a little bit of estimation.

nauss

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sengoku said:
Since no one has tried this, i thought i'll give it a go.

this might look like an ordinary QIII...

dscn25733ya.jpg

I replaced the 3w SWOK(stock) with a 5W VWOT

dscn25726zs.jpg

dscn25707vh.jpg

Using the stock driver i got the following results:-
Current draw
4.2v R123- 0.77A Preferable
3v CR123- 0.56A
1.7v AA lithium- 0.41A
1.5v AA alkaline- 0.39A
1.2v AA Ni-Mh- 0.36A

Yepp it runs on AA cells aswell, this might be the first and only single AA powered 5w light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Now all i need is those battery adapters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Using the stock reflector, it puts out a wall of light, very similar to a L4 but without the donut hole, great for walking your dog at night.
Wonder how a SO20XA or McR20 will perform?

dscn25771xu.jpg

No runtime tests with a R123 yet, but since it draws only 770mA, should expect an hour? The light did get pretty warm after 5min, but not burning.

Also i replaced the stock polycarbonate lens with the 2mm thick LionCub UCL lens(21.3mm) for the extra 9% more light! it drops right in and fits perfectly, i found the 22.6mm UCL for maglites too large, which involved sanding to fit.

dscn25762ay.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get the 5w to replace mine and how much?

Also, how exactly do you replace it? Just unsolder the current and solder the new in its place?

Thanks,

Lance

kwando

Newly Enlightened
sorry to resurrect this thread... i am a n00b and i have a few questions...

1. Can i get more info in turning my Nuwai Q3 into a 2AA monster?
2. Where can i get this extender that lengthens the Q3 and allows it to accept 2AA?
3. Where can i just find a spare 5WVWOT?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx

wquiles

Flashaholic
Welcome to the forums :party: :party: :party:

In terms of finding a VW0T (or similar bin), you can contact CPF member PhotonFanatic - he sells here in the forums:
link ...

In fact he is selling the excellent WX1S, which should work even better for you voltage-wise ;)

Will

M

Musashi

Lads,
I'm totally n00b but hoping for some help. My Nuwai QIII died on me, was great when baby was small checking on him at night. Point light at ceiling and flood soft light over all so I could feed and change the boy :)
Then switching got a bit erratic, then stopped, accompanied by rattle from head of light? Asked Cones on British Blades how to open her up and did so.
I found the wee black yoke that sits in a wire coil on the board hab snapped in two, no more light for me! I have me Inovas and a LED Mini Mag but that QIII was special to me for seven months of sleepless nights!
I am wondering if there is either a replacement board and LED I could drop in, a better board and LED I could buy for her, or if I could buy a two cell version and use the same head unit on both lights, switching from shorty to long body as needs dictate, kninda like an ARC?
Any advice or links gratefully received, I'm not much on modding components but I can drop in a bin with the rest of the Plebs!

Cheers in advance lads.
Eric (Musashi)

M

Musashi

Primary cells, actually the same one came with the light, it broke before the battery died!

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know how to mod the stock board to raise the current going to the led, in this particular case to at least drive the Lux V to a decent 700mA? Any threads with pics of the stock board maybe?
Also, not sure if this is relevant or not and sorry if I'm hijacking here, but I was wondering if the Q-III and the "Q-V" 2-cell big brother L4 look-alike had the same boards possibly? Thanks for your expertise.