NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: KL1 not impressing me anymore...

Flashaholic*

Default KL1 not impressing me anymore...

Sure it's a huge a huge hotspot, but thats it. I realize I don't need a big hot spot and rather I'd get some spill. There is also some situations where I need somthing to throw further than the KL4. Suggestions?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: KL1 not impressing me anymore...

Im confused. KL4 or KL1? And I think what you have is natural. We all want something brighter after a few days or weeks of use. Which is also why so many people here are [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img],

I recommend one of these 3W drop-ins. It has good sidespill, and a smooth hotspot with throw that is at least equal to the KL1 on two cells. I run mine in a Brinkmann Maxfire LX. This host has a glass lens, a momentary/clicky tail switch, and a cheap enough price that I'm not reluctant to use and abuse it.

Another Luxeon flashlight that has both throw and spill--excellent throw, in fact--is the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon.

Flashaholic*

GarageBoy,

You might want to try a McLux PR or PR-T with a Luxeon III driven at 917ma (I think the Aleph 1 with the same set up would be similar). This would give you throw with some spill and the head is only a little larger than a KL4.

If you want to increase runtime, you could go with 700ma. This level is a pretty good compromise between brightness and runtime.

Flashaholic*

PR heads are good, But it proabably would be a smarter buy to get an aleph because you can then mix and match. I want an aleph 3 head with a luxV running on 2 cells.... someone wanna hook me up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ?

Flashaholic*

The thing is, I want to stick with the 1x123 format. The KL4 is still eyeopening, but the KL1 was never my cup of tea, but I thought I'd try it anyways. Thanks

Flashaholic*

A Aleph 1 with a Lux3 driven at 500ma might be what you want for 1x123.

The Kl1 needs the beamshaper. For $12 you have a fantastic floodlight. It is a whole different light with the help of that little item. Both my KL1 and my L1 have the beamshaper and I hardly ever remove them.

I was gonna say beamshaper too. I actually got out my KL-1 VG 1x123's today and forgot how much i liked it. The HDS basic is my main light. Tight but good spill, and great throw, to me a good compromise. I don't want a KL-4 flood, and yes the KL-1 is a thrower, but preferences change. I like my jil for a floodish light but still have really good throw for it's size. May want to check that one out. VDG

Flashaholic*

I already got the beamshaper, not exactly what I want(blurred out hot spot). I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go full out with an A1 and NG 500. How long will the NG750 run in FULL regulated mode off a 123? Thanks

Flashaholic*

I had my KL1 modified by Chop with a LuxIII and reflector. Nice goodsized hotspot but with spill and also the ability to throw some. Excellent all around light although brighter on an E2 body then an E1. I realize this probably doesn't help you any if you don't already own an older KL1.

Flashaholic*

I've seen the beam on that, and I have a BBNG750 Mini Mag that gives me the same result. I think it's time for an Aleph 1. Anyone got a picture of one on a E1 body?

[ QUOTE ]
    geepondy said:
    I had my KL1 modified by Chop with a LuxIII and reflector. Nice goodsized hotspot but with spill and also the ability to throw some. Excellent all around light although brighter on an E2 body then an E1. I realize this probably doesn't help you any if you don't already own an older KL1.

[/ QUOTE ]

can we get a pic? How much did the modification cost? beamshot please!

-David [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Can I get an A1 pic on the E1 body? Thanks!