QIII w/20mm IMS reflector (beamshots)

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop and I took some beamshots to show the difference installing a 20mm IMS reflector($5.75 at the Sandwich Shoppe) made in my Q3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pics are from ~8ft.
The Q3s both have TYOK stars, mineral glass lenses, and are running off Batterystation R123s.
Q3 w/stock reflector vs. Q3 w/IMS 20.

This is a stock Pelican M6 vs. Q3 w/IMS 20.

The three together.

Not too shabby for a <$6 upgrade.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It needs an o-ring about the same size as the stock one put in front of the rim of the reflector, so you have an o-ring in front of, and another behind, the lens. That spaces everything correctly, and holds the reflector in place. My friend who posts here as Robocop actually put the o-ring in mine, so maybe he'll chime in with any helpful hints.
The reflector will work as a drop in after cutting the legs off, but would not stay centered without the o-ring. It'd always go off to one side when screwing the bezel down, resulting in a lopsided beam(beam quality was still fine just off-center).
Now it's great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Krit

Enlightened
Try with McR20 from dat2zip. The result is between IMS20 mm and stock reflecter.

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
I didn't have to trim the legs of the IMS reflector.
I removed the retention ring, mounted the reflector on the star and put in an additional o-ring.
The reflector stays on the star if I remove the bezel.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Krit said:
Try with McR20 from dat2zip. The result is between IMS20 mm and stock reflecter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did, and I love that McR20-just didn't have an extra one to put in the Q3. They aren't kidding when they say it's the "perfect beam". Love it. I think the IMS will have more throw, though, which I need at work where there's lots of ambient light(my Q3 is usually my beater light at work).

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
The difference with this new reflector is incredible. It may be my imagination but the tint actually looks a little whiter to my eyes with this reflector.
I had to make sure the light was level and slowly screwed down the bezel until the inner o-ring grabbed the lip of the reflector. If done carefully it will center up nicely and the extra o-ring prevents it from moving around.
I was happy to help as I have noticed every time Owen gets another part I usually end up with the old part for free...I now have a spare QIII reflector.. hehe works every time
Thanks for the spare Owen and I am slowly getting jealous of your new toys.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else removed the stock Q3 reflector's orange peel? I did with a spare one that I had and then polished it. It makes a huge difference in the beam. The hotspot is much brighter and smaller so throw is better. I am expecting another Q3 to arrive shortly. I should be able to post some side by side pics and Lux figures when it does.

Paul

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Chimo I have a spare reflector and am curious as to how you did your reflector. Can you give me a little detail in how you finished removing the orange peel?...Did you sand it first and then simply polish the aluminum finish?...if so what type of polish or sandpaper did you use?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop, I used a combination of a dremel, sandpaper and some polishing compound (found in a generis accessory bit pack for the rotary tool). It took a little time but the beam is very nice. There are two materials before you hit bare aluminium (reflective coating and a yellowish material that causes the OP). Sorry, I have to be brief - we are just about to start a 15hr road trip and will be leaving soon. I may get on-line while I am away if you have any more questions. Cheers,

Paul

Latest posts