Surefire KL1 confusion

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
First generation, right. NX05 optic, lux I led. Gen I and II replaced by Lux III led, and different optic.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
First generation, right. NX05 optic, lux I low dome led. I believe that gen II had high dome led, then III and IV have Lux III led and different optic.

Bill

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that that first gen. has the flat front bezel and low dome LED. Gen 2 would have a crenelated bezel and low dome LED. Gen 3 has the crenelated bezel and high dome. Gen 4 is the complete redesign sold now, that has the new optic, spot beam, higher current draw, and heatsink like the KL4.

I have Gen 1 and Gen 2, and replaced the low domes with high domes - what does that make them? A gen 2.99 and gen 3?!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
louie said:
My understanding is that that first gen. has the flat front bezel and low dome LED. Gen 2 would have a crenelated bezel and low dome LED. Gen 3 has the crenelated bezel and high dome. Gen 4 is the complete redesign sold now, that has the new optic, spot beam, higher current draw, and heatsink like the KL4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also my understanding of generation 1 through generation 4.

I have also read that some are calling what I think of as generation 4 a generation 2. I think some are calling all KL1s prior to the E1L/E2L generation 1 and the KL1s that have the tighter beam and come on the E1L & E2L gen 2.

I prefer the system that louie used because I agree with him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably 2nd or 3rd gen, if you're talking about the green. Either way, no longer available from Surefire.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
how can you differentiate the 1st, second, and third generations based on appearance?

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly it'll be in the hotspot, IIRC - the batwing modules (low-dome Lux I's) will have a slightly different hotspot shape than the LuxIII of the 4th gen or the LuxI HDs of the 3rd gen, due to the shape of the emitter and what that means for the reflector. This is a guess, based on the date of the original review as well, which was back in 2001 or 2002, IIRC.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, at a store in my town, they sell an old generation kl1, how do I tell if it is the high domed generation 3?

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a chance, look at the battery contact - the 1st gen had a domed contact point, while a 2nd or 3rd gen will have a flat contact point. Also, check the shape of the emitter inside if you can look into it - if it looks kinda flat inside, then it's a low-dome Gen 2. Otherwise, if the emitter's easy to see (it's raised in the high dome, so it's a lot more distinctive), then you've got a 3rd gen.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive got a Black KL1 (gen 4 i think) - it has the kl4 style head - im running it on a E1 body
can anyone give me an idea of runtime on a single 123 and a Rechargeable 123 ?
thanks

also - this little combo really throws

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience was that the white gen 1 (low dome, smooth bezel) and gen 2 (low dome, cutout bezel) had relatively smooth beams with blotchy colors in it and a bit hotter in the middle. Then I changed them to high domes, which should be like gen 3 (high dome and I am presuming, the same NX05 optic), and there is a distinct small bright square of light in the middle of the beam, with a central round hot spot in the square, and a mild round general spill area.

The gen 4 is distinctly different with a small round bright spot and heatsink like a KL4.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Echo63 said:
ive got a Black KL1 (gen 4 i think) - it has the kl4 style head - im running it on a E1 body
can anyone give me an idea of runtime on a single 123 and a Rechargeable 123 ?
thanks

also - this little combo really throws

[/ QUOTE ]

LUCKY, where did you get a black KL1 (gen 4)?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know how the third generation kl1 throws?

-David