longbow inexpensive clip option

jrblack

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone. just wanted to pass along something to longbow owners. i balked at the notion of paying $30 for a clip for my mini, even if it is made of titanium so i resolved to find a cheaper way . i did and it's quite simple. 1) find a flea market or dollar store and look for the bin of cheap folding knives they always seem to have there. many of them incorporate a simple pocket clip with one 1/4 inch hole wich the blad pivot pin fits thru unlike most folders now adays which use 2-3 little 72 torx screws.
remove the clip and toss the crappy knife away. 2) find a 1/4 - 20 button head screw. the problem is getting one with only 3-4 threads on it which i could only find in lots of 100. so i took my trusty dremel and shortened a longer one .
heres a hint thread an appropriate nut onto the screw before you cut it and if you do mess the threads up a little the nut will straighten them out . 3) use some blue locktite to keep the clip from pivoting .

this all told cost me
3.85 for the knife
.29 for the 1/4-20 screw
already had locktite (3.75)

the clip is chrome unfortunately and not black but saving 27.00 bucks makes it acceptable . the clip ist strong and works great.

something else i also did was modify the lens and optics of my mini. i had an old version of a kl1 head kicking arround and i decided to take it apart . big mistake but i slavage the beautiful thick glass lens from it and the optics .
i found these both fit in the longbow though the kl1 glass is thicker and does not allow the end cap on the mini to completely thread down. to solve this i just popped on a thick o-ring to fill in the space. it is still waterproof and looks pretty cool with the oring . though i dont really like the square pattern of the output on the longbows , with the ucl lens and the clearer optics of the kl1 i do enjoy the brighter crisper output of this setup.

i tried modifying a couple reflectors but the output had many infractions and spots . with the surefire kl1 optics and lens the hot spot is brighter and the side spill is fantastic . i am getting at least 30-35 lumens from this light now and the clip makes it easy to caryy.

hope this is of interest to you longbow guys