Nuwai .5 Watt 1AAA Not Impressed

ledaholic

Enlightened
I got 2 of these yesterday. The package says they have a "tactical" switch,"for momentary operation press on the switch and the light comes on. For constant operation press a little harder until switch clicks and light stayes on". Neither will click and stay on. Also neither is as bright as my Infinity Ulltra. Did I get a couple of duds or is this normal for these lights?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those directions are incorrect. As far as I know, these lights have always required twisting the tailcap for constant on. The total output should be only about the same as an Infinity Ultra, but with a brighter hotspot. The 2xAAA Nuwai light is about 4X as bright and a much better deal, I think.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the little instructions on the cardboard/paper insert do say "Full steady light- ON controlled by pushing in the switch with additional click" ????? that aint right

BUT i believe they are still nice lights. have 3 of the 1xAAA models in my possession right now and they are all brighter than my Ultra-G. hotspot and spill light is brighter.

hookoo

Newly Enlightened
I am posting after being a lurker for about a year. And also my wife told me not to join this "group".. She just can't resist a good man with a pocket full of lumens!

I have purchased both the 2xAAA and the 1xAAA. The 2xAAA. like ASdalton said, the is the better deal. It is indeed about 4x brighter and with a solid build.

My preference for an EDC is one that can fit in my mouth in a pinch when I need to use both hands. The 2xAAA barely meets this, as it is kind of heavy. I will try it with some lithium's and see if it lightens the load.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Nuwai 0.5watts AAA are well built lights. Inside you'll find the Zetex 30x circuit, similiar to the ones used in the Nuwai Q3.

The 1xAAA 0.5watt is a light with a rice sticker. It's no anywhere near 0.5watt. The LED is a 3 die LED configuration wired in parallel. The 1xAAA LED is underdriven at around 42ma with a fresh 1.5volts alkaline cell.

On the other hand, the 2xAAA 0.5watts LED is driven near spec 63ma. Still, only about 0.2watts through the LED.

They are very good lights. The 0.5watts should see at least 100,000 LED life compared to the other overdriven lights.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
On the other hand, the 2xAAA 0.5watts LED is driven near spec 63ma. Still, only about 0.2watts through the LED.

They are very good lights. The 0.5watts should see at least 100,000 LED life compared to the other overdriven lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good info on the Zetex and 3 dies wired together...
But...I wonder if we're all talking about the same flashlight (?)
I got curious and just measured the draw on my Nuwai 2-AAA. With 2 almost new alkalines it draws about 118mA (measured on my DMM's 2K scale). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xAAA 4x brighter!?!?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

the onese i have seem to be right in line with quickbeam's reviews(flashlightreviews.com)........... that being the 2xAAA is roughly 2x brighter.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
vcal - My measurements is the power across the LEDs not the consumption of the whole unit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi there;
How were you able to access the LED?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heatgun. The head is secured to the body by CA. You need to be careful when applying heat, some buddies here melted the reflector.

The 1xAAA has a 0.02ohm sense resistor while the 2xAAA has 0.15ohm. Can be modified for brighter output.

Follow this link and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see how the 0.5watts are put together.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it appears to be threaded. In the photos I like the way the pcb and orings are standing upright. That's great~!