Longbow AA models .

cdf

Enlightened
I'm looking to get a tuff , high quality light that runs of AA's for my BOB . I was thinking of one of the Longbow family , any experience , or recommendations .

Raven

Enlightened
I am also thinking about buying one, but I wish they offered a 3 watt version.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not alone is wishing the Longbow series were offered with 3W heads.

Toward this end, I have good news and bad news.

First, the bad news: Longbow makes a 5W head for their 2AA tube, BUT you must use CR123 cells in the tube!

Now, the good news: For $90, you can buy a 3W McCapsule Light Engine for use in LongBow lights. See McGizmo: Custom Build Pricing and Ordering in the McGizmo thread.

If length is no concern, consider the $100 2AA Heliotek HTE-1, arguably the toughtest 2AA made.

By the way, what does BOB stand for?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
You're not alone is wishing the Longbow series were offered with 3W heads.

Toward this end, I have good news and bad news.

First, the bad news: Longbow makes a 5W head for their 2AA tube, BUT you must use CR123 cells in the tube!

Now, the good news: For $90, you can buy a 3W McCapsule Light Engine for use in LongBow lights. See McGizmo: Custom Build Pricing and Ordering in the McGizmo thread.

If length is no concern, consider the $100 2AA Heliotek HTE-1, arguably the toughtest 2AA made.

By the way, what does BOB stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about 123s fitting in the eco tube? 3 right? The length seems reasonable, but the width? Was the tube designed to be that way? I honestly have never seen one. Only own a micra.

Another vote for the Heliotek. Since it uses lithium AAs it wont let you down when you most need it; i.e., when you reach for the BOB. In addition, it has excellent throw, can be converted to a flood mode by simply flipping down the beam diffuser, and its 7 hour FULLY regulated runtime. Here is a review.
Heliotek HTE review at flashlightreviews.com

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
My source for the 5W comment was falconz, in this June 3 post under the thread, "Re: LongBow Questions" in this forum:

"And yep, there is a 5 watt (Luxeon V) module... for use in the ECO tube with the AA adaptor removed and inserting 3 x CR123s."

Raven

Enlightened
The Heliotek lights certainly have the specs, but they're
just so damn ugly.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:

[/ QUOTE ]

And it costs even less to build your own McCapsule with parts from the shoppe. I did it and my micra now really rocks. Anyway, this is what the micra/eco should be like when it comes from the factory.

Chrisse

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
It is what it will look like, or close to it. If you ever get a chance to call them, they will tell you about their new lights and ideas- like nextgen luxeon leds.

For higher output, i heard instead of using 1 3 lux III, they want to use 3 lux 1, for heat reasons, they say.

I have a longbow eco, and i like it very much. I'm thinking of getting a HDS EDC if/when AA battery holders are avaliable.

(the guys at longbow seem really bored there, so drop them a call if you can, and ask what they are doing with their lights, or any other questions.)

falconz

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
My source for the 5W comment was falconz, in this June 3 post under the thread, "Re: LongBow Questions" in this forum:

"And yep, there is a 5 watt (Luxeon V) module... for use in the ECO tube with the AA adaptor removed and inserting 3 x CR123s."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well guess I did said that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The ECO Tube has a plastic sleeve adaptor inside that is used to reduce the diameter of the inner wall so the AA batteries would not rattle inside. Just slide this sleeve out to place 3 x CR 123 in for use with the 5 watt module.