Night-Ops, imitator or innovator?

Which Configuration do you prefer?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Another Surefire imitator.

• So different they do not even compare.

• Yes

• No

• Yes

• No

• Yes

• No

• Total voters

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been reading numerous posts comparing The
Gladius to different Surefires that are not really
all that similar so I have a different question based on the
fact that so many lights get compared to Surefires. As
a Gladius owner I think it is a unique and innovative
work of genius designed from the ground up to fulfill a
primary purpose.

I am curious what others think.
Is Night-Ops the company and the Gladius in specific-

1. An innovator / innovation?

2. Another Surefire imitator or so different they do not even compare?

3. Focused on end users and not other companies?

4. A combination of 1. and 3?

5. If you answered either 1 or 4 are you looking
forward to what they are coming out with next?

I thought this may be an interesting topic for posts and a poll.
My request it that only those who have actually had experience with both take the poll. Anybody else feel free to post.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
New user interface; new ceramic coating; new strobe. Nice dimming/brightening feature. Programmable to suit the end user. And they've just started. Definitely an innovator.

I don't really see a Surefire to which the Gladius can be compared (U2? not really), so I don't see little brother copying big brother. JMO.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

best regards
me

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno. Aluminum based light, LED, 2x123 cells with a pushbutton switch. Just another Surefire, really. If It weren't for the LED and 123 part, they would be treading dangerously close to patent infringement on MagLite. Well, they probably are anyway -- the Gladius is a cylindrical aluminum light, you know.

Scott

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur,

I am curious, have you ever used a Gladius?
I am not in any way trying to start an argument. I am just trying to understand your post because I am a little bit confused.

The Gladius does not have a push button switch in the normal sense. it has a 4 position rotary dial selector/ push button activator. Three positions are different functions and the 4th is a complete lockout for the system.

If you have never used a Gladius, am I reading your post right that you are saying it just seems like more of the same and therefore you are not interested?

If you have used a Gladius, are you making the comment that you think, as far as Surefire is concerned, all CR123A battery lights are imitators like Mag-lite seems to thinks all metal Incans that look even a little like their lights are only imitators.

Thanks in advance for the clarificaton,
mtbkndad
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
I think beezaur's post contains some sarcasm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

As for the question: Night-Ops is an innovator, no doubt about that. I am sure Surefire is looking hard at how to copy the strobe without violating some patent.

Longbow

Enlightened
Night Ops is definately an inovator, going boldly where few before have dared. Like retailing the
Gladious for $230 and offering only a 1 year warrantee.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
"Innovative" is a good term for the Gladius. It is probably the best police light ever made, but combat-oriented to a point which could be irritating to a user wihtout such concerns.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite ops is definatly an innovator.
I look foreward to the future offerings.
It's hard to imagine how they will top the gladius.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Not being an innovator myself, it is hard for me to imagine how they would top the Gladius for police use. However, for other use a version bored for the 168A with no low-battery blink, no strobe and some type of pocket clip would pretty much corner the market for high-end production lights.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, a teeny bit of sarcasm in my post above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the Gladius concept is a true innovation, and here's why:

Grip. Knurl things to your heart's content, but you will never be able to outdo a "mechanical" engagement like the Gladius' flanges. If you get knocked around a bit and your fingers go loose around the light, you'll drop it or it will get knocked out of your hand. Not so with those flanges. A loose hand will only let the light "rattle around" a bit. And then there is the quickdraw factor -- instant positive grip with the flanges. Friction-dependent grips require 1) placement, 2) tightening, and 3) withdrawal, in that order. The Gladius' flanges facilitate hook-n-flash that requires virtually no fine motor control. I like that.

The other thing that I find so innovative is the strobe, which is almost self-explanatory. My interest is personal protection, specifically escape/avoidance.

I see Surefires as very, very nice lights, but nothing extraordinary in terms of concept. The Gladius, however, is an extraordinary concept. Both are top-of-the-line and extremely depandable tools, IMO. The Gladius just represents more evolved thinking.

My piggy bank is spring-loaded for when this thing hits normal market availability.

Scott

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Longbow said:
Night Ops is definately an inovator, going boldly where few before have dared. Like retailing the
Gladious for $230 and offering only a 1 year warrantee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Retail is $250.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur,

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely have to agree with you about those flanges. I actually personally have never owned or tried another light that was as comfortable to hold in a multitude of positions. The combination of the flanges and the ceramic coating make for an amazingly comfortable and grippy light, whether wet or dry. I find the ceramic coating to actually be even easier to hold onto when it is wet ( Just another one of the many tests I have put my Gladius through).

Another thing I have noticed when showing my Gladius to non-flashaholics is that the more they are into technology the more their jaws drop when they see what the Gladius can do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think the light has some key elements that are very inovative. I am not fond of the ski pole basket in front of the tail cap but Beezaur has made a good point in illustrating some merit to this flange. I see the 1 year warranty issue has come up again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you realize that if a product is flawless it doesn't even need to have a warranty!

I don't offer a warranty with any of my lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Ouch! (sharp tongue can put gouge in cheek! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Frankly, I am just glad that the group decided to go with night-ops for a name! Nocturnal Emissions would have worked but it had too much conotation with dreams instead of reality. Although if the light were intended for wet work.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

EDIT: the post directly above was made while I was composing my gem so don't assume any connection with holding the light with wet hands! I think I have to reconsider those flanges too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

rscanady

Enlightened
Ken, good luck on that litigation with Energizer, hope for the best, but since you are up against one of the founding fathers its gonna be a tooth and nail fight.....hahahah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I would say innovator too, I think the actual MSRP is $255, but thats semantics. I think the light is great for its designed purpoes. Two drawbacks I have so far is the flange makes it great to grip but hard to pocket carry EDC, definitely need a holster of some sort, again this was designed with a specific purpose in mind and I understand that. The Second and BIGGER problem that could emerge is the ceramic coating. Its very nice and great to hold but....it doesnt seem to be as durable as HA III. The one I had for the passaround was already wearing off at the high points and while this makes sense, for a $255 light I would hope that the coating take a bit more abuse than normal carry especially due to its intended subject audience. Maybe I got a bad one, but that particular problem is nagging at me. Other than that I love the light, it was awesome and very easy to use.

Ryan

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
For clarification, the MSRP is $249.99, although I think the intent of the thread was not addressing pricing, but Longbow likes to stir it up a bit for "Night oops"

Anyway, the ceramic coating is something we are looking at very carefully. It may ultimately prove not be the best way to go.

I do have a flashlight (the model number starts with M and ends with 2 so it is no cheap 6-volt light) from the other guys and guess where the HA is coming off? On the hard edges of the angular anti-roll flange. I have only had this light in and out of my wooden desk drawer and for use around my office.

HAIII-a.jpg

HAIII-b.jpg

I can show every other light I actually use and well, they are beat to heck, because I use them in a hard core manner.

Points may or may not be able to hold the coatings very well. That being said, we are looking at Ano and have samples in today for evaluation. We are also looking for a more consistent way/better of finishing the light with ceramic. There are several factors we are playing with on this front.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Water from the kitchen sink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif