Nuwai Q-III VS Streamlight TL-2

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a 3 watt luxeon led light and I am really interested in the Nuwai Q-III but i saw the Streamlight TL-2 and it looks good as well.
The Nuwai has 75 lumans, i dont know how much the TL-2 has but thats a lot of light and both flashlights are the same price.

What would you recommend?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwaii is claimed to have 75 lumens, more like 25-30 in reality. great side spill.
I have one each of the old and new TL-2 LED. very nice light.
If you want throw and spot take a look at Emissive's Inova T or X series lights. very nice and long running

SciPug

Newly Enlightened
I LOVE my QIII.

I think the Streamlight is a great light, too. You need to factor in other things: the two most important to me are size and run time.

I'm happy to trade the 2 hour runtime of the TL-2 for the one hour on the QIII because the QIII is so much smaller.

Also, the switch on the TL-2 is a momentary switch with twist for on and off. I don't like those types. Also, if you look around, you can find the QIII for $30 and then get a couple rechargable 123's and you've got light for ten years. Just thinking about it makes me happy.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something is definitely suspect about the Q-III's brightness claims. The Q-III's 3W big brother, the TM301 (2x123A), is also rated at 75 lumens. But according to Flashlight Reviews, it produces more than twice the maximum throw (1300 vs. 600) and nearly half-again more total light (2800 vs. 1900).

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Cabelas and the TL2 gen2 was on display, I dont like it, It feels cheap and the plastic reflector makes the beam quality not so good. Q3 is great, aluminum reflector, and great beam quality.

-David

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
You said the TL-2 is brighter, but how can that be if the TL-2 is a Luxon 1 led and the QIII is a Luxon 3.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
I like the Inova T3 lights but I want a good wide spill beam. A long throw isint that important to me. And the Inova lights are overpriced.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jaslight said:
You said the TL-2 is brighter, but how can that be if the TL-2 is a Luxon 1 led and the QIII is a Luxon 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

The LS3 in a Q3 is underdriven while the LS1 in a TL-2 is overdriven.

Mark2

Enlightened
The TL-2 (Gen2) has *much* better build quality than the Q-III, including a nice tempered glass lens. Furthermore, it has more output and throw, much better regulation and better runtime and a momentary-on switch, and it's pretty waterproof. Its only disadvantages when compared to the Q-III are size, weight and the higher street price.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL-2 is noticeably larger than the Q-III. Let's see what Quickbeam says about the Q-III's 2xCR123A big brother, the TM301X-3, at
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm :

"If you're in the market for a 2 stage, small, high output light, SERIOUSLY CONSIDER this light. ... Overall output on high (per my numbers) matches the Inova T3, the Streamlight TL-2 LED (2nd gen), and several 6 volt incandescent lights. It also has nearly the same throw (distance illumination ability) as a Surefire E2d."

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I would get that nuwai 2 stage over the tl2 LED, the TL2 LED has a partially textured reflector and that really affects the beam quality. The paint also seems to came off quite easily. In quality the nuwai line would win.

-David