Question about 3AA DD mods...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Bulk's LGIs were pretty popular back then werent they? Raw power from 4.5 volts running directly from 3 AAs. I was thinking about getting a streamlight tasklight luxeon (3AA), the crappy low domed one, and modifying it with a T bin lux and direct drive. Looks like a IMS27 can fit in there too with a little modification. Are these mods effective? I read how the roguesoul did very well throwwise with only 3 AAAs. Also, what Vf should I choose? Roguesoul used an S**K luxeon, so should I do the same? I was thinking about going as low as possible with H, but I dont have too much experience with DD mods in general.

Thanks

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
TWOK works fine on 3 Nimh cells per LED. No loss in DD no resistor or nothing in this:
2 sets of 3 LED's in series with 9 cells feeding it:

DSCN3548.JPG

And the juice comes from one of these set ups:
Dscn3559.jpg

You won't get enough current from Alkalines- throw away batteries

cy

Flashaholic
when DD you either need to match VF of luxeon close as possible to VIN or add a resister.

Kbin is what I recommend for single Li-ion or 3x nmh

K will draw aprox 1.1amps
J '' '' 1.4amps
H '' '' 1.8amps

this is with fresh charged cells, draw will of course go down

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xNiMH and a "K" Vf will match very nicely. And when the Vf of the LED goes down over time and settles, it will still be within reasonable current drive.

If you use alkalines, perhaps a J Vf as the batteries will sag in voltage (alkalines) and then you won't get full current. Also you're battery life won't be great at all really..