The history of LEDs?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some questions regarding the "history" of LEDs. Who invented them, and when? Strange I didnt hear of the person even though what he/she did was such a huge step in lighting technology. Also, did luxeon binning start with A? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif The oldest I ever heard of was M.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
A man named Nick Holonyak Jr. invented the first practical visible-spectrum LED back in 1962.

Holonyak is currently the John Bardeen Endowed Chair in Electrical and Computer Engineering and Physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Mr. Holonyak has been honoured: please see this link for more information about this.

JanCPF

Enlightened
In the movie "Apollo 13" one can see that the command module is equipped with a computer using seven segment LED displays. If this indeed is correct, the Apollo program must have been one of the first practical uses of seven segment LEDs. Does anybody know when the Apollo program switched from "display tubes" to LED, or if they actually used LEDs right from the beginning?

Jan