Ultra-G / crooked LED

hookoo

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Ultra-G from countycomm. But, unfortunately the LED is really crooked. It just bugs me considering how much I really like my new little light.

Is there any way to straighten it by using sheer force? Will it break it off?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The head is sealed internally with epoxy, and IMO, Attempting to straighten it would likely break the LED's dome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If it were me, I would contact them about returning it.

Larry

greenLED

Flashaholic
The crooked LED is fairly common in the Ultra (whether Ultra-G or not) . It's a b-pain to fix. It doesnt' really affect output, other than placing a bit of a shiny slit on the beam (that's what mine with crooked LEDs do). I don't mind it now.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
If you returned it you might get one more off center than the one you have. I've seen I'd say 10 of these and none of them were pefectly straight.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
CountryComm is now sold out of these very popular little 1 LED flashlights. So while I'm sure they gladly would refund your money, (CountryComm is a long time supporter of CPF, and has a well deserved outstanding customer service record), they have no stock to replace your Ultra G with. And CountryComm was the ONLY source for the hard anodized CMG Infinities.

It's a classic workhorse flashlight, never to be available from the distributor again. In use, the crooked LED really doesn't matter, since it doesn't really use the 'reflector'; it's dark green.

Hang on to it in new condition, and you could likely make a few dollars selling it on B/S/T in a few months, or at least get 100% of the price you paid, including shipping.

But if it was me, I'd keep it. Like the old saying goes: 'They don't make them like that anymore'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hookoo

Newly Enlightened
Since this is the last of them and being the flashaholic that I am, now the crooked little led is not so bothersome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I wanted a tough, long running light for my BOB. Like you said 'in use' the crookedness doesn't matter.

Easyrider

Newly Enlightened
I must have gotten really lucky since my Ultra-G is just about perfect in every way.

I'm sorry yours didn't turn out as nice.