Aurora 1.5 Watt

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to find the Aurora at http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/ shortly. I bought mine from ebay about 2 months ago, but it was one of three prototypes. I quite like this light, it's like carrying a mini spotlight. It has a very round and fairly bright beam with a bluish tint. Also the finish on it is quite nice as well.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same company makes a 2C and 3AAA version. The 2C is rated at 42 lumens. From the reviews I've seen, each beam is a tightly focused circle, like an Inova's, with very little sidespill.

The Auroras use Nichia's new Jupiter LED, which will also be available this summer in the much-anticipated "60 lumen" 1AA Proton.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the 2C version on ebay. Build quality does seem good. It is a "specialty" type light---everyone is quite right about the "mini-spotlight" (and no spill). I gave it to my son as a gift---he is a movie fanatic, and appreciates the spotlight aspect. He used it on a nighttime hike we took a few weeks ago, and its throw was not great but decent, and he enjoyed using it.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, does anyone know how the 1x123 version would do on a R123 rechargeable cell? Just ordered one from j2ledflashlights.com for my wife, who loves the spotlight beam.

Thanks for any info.

Andrew

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of their 1.5 watt 2AA versions for a very specific reason: bicycle lights.

The light is perfect for cycling for the following reasons:
The beam to be highly focused
Bluish tint to be more noticable by car drivers
Optic so it looks like a blinding ball of light when the source is viewed directly
A switch on the body so it is easily turned on/off as a twisty might twist off due to vibration
Decent regulation for NiMH
3+ hours of run time and ability to use NiMH AA batteries for low operating costs.

It delivers all my requirements and even out-throws my BB500 R2H fraen LP optic minimag helmet light! It makes a $40 bike light ($30 light/$5 mount/$5 NiMH batteries) that has enough punch to see were you are going, not just to be seen.

Any bad points? Sure! I would not want to use it as an EDC or anything that requires color accuracy or wider beam. The bluish color with strong blue "rim" around the spot makes it look like a moon projector. All the good points as a bike light is generally bad for general lighting. If you need a light that is not a spot, has a white beam without rings or need HA-III... keep looking.