Night-Ops... Please Read This (Re: Gladius)

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

First off, please understand that I do not (yet) own a Gladius. I have every intention of obtaining one in the next two weeks though, and I've read almost everything publicly available on the internet regarding the Gladius and it's features.

OK... with that out of the way, on to the essence of this post.

I think the Gladius is innovative and groundbreaking. I think that the Gladius may be the finest attempt at producing a police/military tactical light that has yet reached the market, and probably THE finest available microprocessor controlled flashlight currently available at any price.

Nitchy. This is a small, nitchy market that while expanding, is still a nitchy market. For every soldier, SWAT team member or street cop with enough $$$ to afford this light, there are literally DOZENS of sportsmen who are looking for the perfect flashlight to take camping with them. Here are my suggestions to make a variation of the Gladius that will serve that market superbly.

First off, replace the disorientation "stun" setting with an emergency beacon. Make it tap out the morse code for "SOS" (which most of us know is "...---..."). Make it repeat this sequence over and over again at 5-10 second intervals until the battery dies. Place this setting as far away from the "lockout" position as possible, as it will not be used very often. Once it is active, make it adjustable brightness using the tailcap pushbutton as the brightness adjuster: hold it down to gradually increase the brightness from 50% to 100% (in 10% increments), while rapidly clicking the button will decrease the brightness step by step in the same intervals.

Second suggestion. Replace the ceramic finish with a molded 3/16" thick rubber tube with square ridges, similar to Inova's "T" series. Get the cost down... this thing needs to sell for close to $100 for "the rest of us" to afford it. Keep the square end flange, but make it part of the molded rubber casing instead of part of the metal. Think low cost... while retaining the ergonomic features and styling. While you're at it, make the flashlight stand "on-end" by extending the tailcap plastic around the pushbutton... this feature is ESSENTIAL for in-tent and around the table "lantern" use.

Third: make the first setting "ultra-bright" and non-adjustable. As soon as you turn the tailcap from the lockout position to the first available rotary position, make the light shine as BRIGHT as possible. Use the pushbutton control to turn this on/off, with no intermediary brightness changes. Sportsmen want a RAPIDLY accessible REALLY BRIGHT light available any time, anywhere - with the minimum hassle and fuss.

Finally, make the 2nd setting (between "sun bright" and "emergency") the flexible "battery saver" mode. This is used around the camp where there is already a fire going in the background and "ultimate scorching sun" mode is not required. This is used in the tent for lights out preparation, as a reading light, to find your way to the latrine without burning half a battery in the process... you get the idea. Make this mode adjustable from almost no light to maybe half light... push the button and hold for brighten, rapid press to incrementally dim... perhaps 5% increments between 5% and 50% would give a decent range.

Make it simple, make it cheap, make it foolproof. Give the minimum REALLY useful settings, while still taking advantage of the awesome flexibility of the Gladius microprocessor technology. Keep it waterproof and bright, but lose the ceramic baked ultra-svelt top-notch tactical trappings... I guarantee you will have a winner.

Best wishes,
Bawko

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Bawko

Great ideas but totally wrong light to suggest making cheaper.

Night Ops went after a market which wasn't well catered for previously. The Gladius is the product of specific user requirements by the Military and LEO units involved in close quarter combat and has been created to meet the demands that that market required.

If Night Ops were to become a volume manufacturer of the type you suggest then the product would be modified by cost parameters rather than user need.

I'm happy with the product as is and look forward to other innovative designs from Night Ops. If the cost makes this light too expensive for the majority then I'm not overly sad as quality costs and this light is quality!

Doug

Bradlee

Enlightened
I agree with Doug. Although I can definately understand many would want some of the cool features the Gladius has in a cheaper light, much of its appeal is that it seems to be "the best of the best" in its category.

On a partial side note, I really hate rubber lights, and would not consider buying the Gladius if it had a rubber exterior; others might, however, disagree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Interesting ideas, though.

-Brad

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incidentally, the T-series lights have anodized aluminum barrels for bodies, not rubber-barreled bodies. The only light that I know of on the market which does this is the Stinger LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Besides, as others have noted above, the Gladius IS a niche design, for a niche market - they're not going for 'everyone else'; that's what Streamlight, Inova, and others are for. It's like asking why Ferrari doesn't make limited edition sports cars 'for the rest of us' - that's not what they do, any more than Lockheed Martin Aeronautics makes air-superiority fighters 'for the rest of us'.