8000 .lb car with 3 1/2 HP engine.

Longbow

Enlightened
That's how slow CPF is. Our advertizers by donating equipment, and technical assistance could speed up our sick system. This improvement would likely double our member base, thus increasing the size of their flashlight hungry audience.... win win.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if only our members could keep themselves up to date with the solutions that have been put forth, we could speed things up some by avoiding repeat posts like this.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Admins don't like this topic. It'll get locked or moved ASAP...but I suspect they're still waiting for this page to load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Mark

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always suprised when people talk about how slow this forum is. I don't think that it is slow. It seems about on par with the other forums that I read on a daily basis. Every now and then it will bog down some, but any forum will do that.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Just FYI; I cruise this forum a lot, and it['s no slower than any other web site.

You might be experiencing slow-downs caused by the avatars and advertisements.

Turn off the graphics display in your browser and you may see things speed up a lot.

Daniel

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me, I'm on a 2.4ghz P4 and a T1 line. I guess slow is relative, but it doesn't bother me at all if it takes a second or two for a page to load.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Somebody stated that firefox makes CPF move infinitely faster..I'm still thinking about making the big switch. But yesterday I had a page load time of 32.9 seconds. I was sitting here going "MOVE.....MOVE!!!!"

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ilikeshinythings said:
Somebody stated that firefox makes CPF move infinitely faster..I'm still thinking about making the big switch. But yesterday I had a page load time of 32.9 seconds. I was sitting here going "MOVE.....MOVE!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

U should try firefox ... really, check it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The graphics does not make the site slow, it's the servers that host the graphics.. like imagestation / image shack (basically all those servers that are free servers.) They also download cookies (along with images) that can track your internet usage etc.

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

Turn off the graphics display in your browser and you may see things speed up a lot.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

But then you're missing half of B@rt's replies...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I experience a significant difference in speed using Firefox for CPF vs IE. In fact, CPF got so unbearably slow for me with IE that I stopped coming here regularly.

I figured my software was all gunked up and I was planning to reformat and reload Windows when I decided to install Firefox just to see what it was all about. It made a big difference so I just use it most of the time now.

Steve

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI, you can maintain highways speeds without wind resistance with 5hp in a 3000 pound car.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
longbow dude, I don't think you are aware of how much hardware has already been thrown at this situation. This is the best that can be done short of throwing new 6 digit price tag machines at it. And thats the wrong solution anyway. Our problem is software, and a user base that has grown more than anybody imagined! The load here coupled with some strange decisions made by the software folks just grind it to a hault some days. That and email fishing spiders and the like that hit thousands of these pages at once.

Sasha is hard at work still as far as I know, getting things ready for a switchover to a new system, but there are only so many hours in the day and she needs to spend some of them making a living for her non-cyber family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have confidence though, things will get better!