EARTHQUAKE!!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone in So. Cal just feel an earthquake? It happened at around 1:58PM

It was centered around Yucaipa. I'm around 40 miles from there but I still got a good jolt

gessner17

Enlightened
I just talked to a user on the phone and it happened during our phone call, it was a 5.2 she says.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing felt in San Diego. Usually has to be a 5.0 or greater in the area for me to notice it. I was in Santa Barbara watching TV when I saw the tsunami warning.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was washing my dishes.

I heard a noise, sounded like somebody slamming my gate. I felt a slight jolt. It didn't feel like it was a strong earhtquake.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, what's going on around here? First there was a tsunami warning following an earthquake in the ocean. I heard that was another earthquake after that... and now this?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Geez, what's going on around here? First there was a tsunami warning following an earthquake in the ocean. I heard that was another earthquake after that... and now this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be due to global warming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Nice rolling with intermittent slight jolts in the O.C"
Same for me, though it seemed like a fairly long one. I work in a tilt-up in Irvine in a "liquifacation" zone, which amplifies things. It did provide some levity to an, otherwise, boring meeting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get to shake and dance with mother earth about once a month.

IIRC 'Magnitude' or 'X on the Richter Scale' is used to measure the energy of the earthquake. How much you can actually feel depends upon (among many other factors) how deep or shallow and how far or close the seismic shift occured. A M6 tremor deep down 80km under the earth's surface and 200km away may not cause much damage, but the same energy definitely will, if it occured just 10km right under you.

The Meteorological Agency in Japan has a Seismic Intensity Scale which indicates how much it shook on the spot and surface where we humans dwell.

The strongest I have experienced was '5 upper' a few months ago in Nigata. I was outside and was quite stunned when I heard a distant boom and everything (including myself) started to sway in slow motion. The first thing I did was run towards and old man who was standing directly under heavy power lines strung between some posts and get him out of the way should they collapse. After that I just watched all the dead leaves shaken from the trees falling (it was November) in a state of stupor thinking, how pretty.

Do you have a scale similar to this elsewhere in the world??

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
nekomane said:
The strongest I have experienced was '5 upper' a few months ago in Nigata. I was outside and was quite stunned when I heard a distant boom and everything (including myself) started to sway in slow motion.

[/ QUOTE ]
The strongest I have experienced was a 6.8 in late-February 2001.
It was difficult to remain upright, and I could hear such noises as loud bangs, thumps, cracks, groans, the tinkle of breaking glass, and the sound of water sloshing out of fish tanks and toliet bowls.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I felt it, i was laying on the floor on cpf when i felt a swaying type motion, but im sure if i was standing or walking i wouldnt have felt it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
As of "June 17, 2005 at 3:40pm we've had 58 earthquakes in the last 4 days" (or at least the times listed in this link)!!!

We have them all the time, perhaps a good thing - releasing plate pressure thus preventing "The Big One"?

Most are minor, but we get some good shakers "here and there". Don't know if I'd rather be living in a Hurricane Zone, Tornado Alley, Drought Zone, Bug Infestion Zone, or what?