Is it just me, or is there nothing new anymore?

alberto

Enlightened
I've been an admitted flashaholic for over two years and have the (many) flashlights to prove it, but it's not like it was before because I don't see any exciting new stuff any more. I read these forums, check eBay, check my usual flashlight sources on the Internet -- nothing. Am I missing something? Help, I need a fix.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are correct. I have been checking everywhere on internet but no new info. We have to wait for the big 3 japanese automakers to come up with new LED headlight. I saw the Acura concept car which suppose to go into production 2007.It suppose to have powerful LED lights.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it just me, or is there nothing new anymore

Define new and exciting?
Gladius is new and inovative.
Inova T4 is the first Luxeon rechargeable with LIo-ion technology .

What did you have in mind?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things are soon to get exciting. There will be`a couple of familiar themes but then will come the things the likes has never been seen before.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things are soon to get exciting. There will be`a couple of familiar themes but then will come the things the likes has never been seen before.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think andrewwynn's nano-3 is very exciting: tiny,
li-ion rechargable, bright, 3 levels. The perfect EDC
(IMO), until he cooks up even better things.

Greg

greenLED

Flashaholic

What exactly are you referring to as "new"?

I'd say Li-ion batts are "new". So are POP sammies (and other POP lights for that matter). The Gladius has that "intelligent clicky" that I can't wait to get my dirty paws on (and more manufacturer's incorporating into their designs). Lumileds will be realising the K2 emitter soon. Nichia and others are coming up with brighter and more efficient LEDs too. ...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as technologies go, flashlights are changing pretty fast, I think. The last year (about as long as I've been on CPF) has been characterized by several major changes:

- The transition from Lux I's to Lux V's to Lux III's to their Chinese Clones (and the improvement of color all around)

- The increase in output and power capacity of 5 mm LEDs to the from 16 K max to the MJLED and 26K/high brightness Nichia class.

- The popularization of the .5 watt 8mm LED lights

- The very rapid increase of Chinese flashlight development, production and distribution resulting in precipitous increases in LED flashlight quality/price ratio. Remember the CMG Reactor was state of the art one year ago, for $30 list and now 3 W current regulated 2xCR123 lights are available for $16 shipped. This trend may or may not be flattening out, but the change in flashlight products has beaten out Moore's law over this last year, I think.

- the attendant pressure on domestic flashlight manufacturers to outsource or move toward the limited boutique market (us...)

- The popularization of li-ion batteries and the availability of fully protected li-ions and smart chargers at low cost (mostly from those same Chinese factories.

So we don't quite have hourly change - maybe more like weekly change - but that's all pretty fast for hardware innovation.

Of course, Maglite still remains unmoved, but I think the pressure's building. Another year or so and they may have to introduce major LED model lines - maybe imported from China - or lose their dominant position.

CPF has pointed toward a number of potential technology breakthroughs which might hit the market in a two or 3 years (typical time to migrate commercial technologies from the lab to the market). Those super batteries and 4X more efficient LEDs may make today's LED lights as old fashioned as a 5 year old 450 Mhz Pentium III long before our LEDs get anywhere near their 10,000 hour lifetimes (or maybe even the 200 hour lifetimes of the 26 K LEDs...)

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got one of McGizmo's *NEW* McLuxIII-PD lights with a U-bin LED.

The thing runs for more than an hour on one RCR123A rechargeable, blinks when it wants changed, and darned near outthrows my Surefire A2 (hard to compare -- different spectrum). It runs something like 1-1/2 days straight on low, which is plenty to walk by and maybe a little bright for reading without the SF F04 Beamshaper to flood it out.

It got me pretty excited.

Scott

JanCPF

Enlightened

It would excite me to see a relativly small (10 watt) HID light from Surefire, running on three 18650 2400mAh Li-Ion cells in an M6 style body. A 500 lumens rechargeable flashlight running for about 2 hours - that would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Jan

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel the same way, haven't bought anything for a while

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the 1970s, I was a bicycle enthusiast. Many of my components were ahead of their time, components like a titanium frame, sealed-bearing hubs and headsets, elliptically shaped sprocket, Teflon-coated cables, and platform pedals. For the most part, these parts were made by small, forward-thinking American inventors. It took years, but eventually every concept was validated and adopted by the larger manufacturers.

In 1980, I bought a set of 2.5-inch halogen sealed-beam headlights (an 18W high beam and a 12W low) and a 750,000 candlepower strobe light, all run from a 12V, 5AH lead-acid battery. These components were way ahead of their time.

Over the following decade, the evolution of the modern BMX (off-road) bicycle was once again led by independent inventors and enthusiaists.

So hang in there. One day, the good stuff discussed and traded in our Custom forums will be discussed and traded in our "mainstream" forums.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am idle from a few months, too. After I purchased a number of U2s and KL1s, I waiting to see what more has to come in terms of new technology.

Anthony

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also feel like we might be in a bit of a lull period. However what is giving me a case of anticipation is not so much the lights themselves as the developements in power.

-The Lithium-ion cells in the Inova T4
-The new propane "button" fuel cells
-Rechargables that charge faster and still run longer than ever before.
-Larger capacities in smaller packages.

I think the fun's just begun!

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

I've been a flashlight wacko for many years and the incrementalism is a snoozer. I want milestones that have bang and pop like a slap in the face.

Examples: Arc AAA was a milestone. KL1 was another. Regulation. Possbile HID. McLux. Arc 4.

I don't want to see the toddler learning to walk or taking baby steps. I want to see great strides that cause me to stop and look.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

Power sources are the limiting factor with lights. And there are major innovations in the works there.

Also microprocessor controlled LED lights are "the coming thing", with the HDS, POP2, Gladius and U2 as examples. These will filter down to more and more lights, with different and superior efficiencies, user interfaces, etc.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I disagree. 2.5 years ago we had P-flux batwings, and now U's are showing-up. A year from now they will probably be mundane. Add the fact that Lumiled's competitors aren't sleeping. The flashlight business isn't what is driving the major LED R&D in university and private industry, but we will also reap the benefits.

On the power storage front, major increases in density are also brewing and should see commercialization in the next few years. This is driven by cell phones, PDA's and lap tops, but we, also, will benefit.

Wayne, George, and Andrew's electronic offerings are likewise in continuous improvement. True, the advancements in technology are incremental. For me, that is sufficient!

(After all, Charlie's integrated fusion generator/emitter is rumored to have some serious spurious radiation issues which the NRC is not treating lightly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Larry

cy

Flashaholic

I agree with Larry! lots of news things coming down the pike. Li14430 came out almost 10 months ago with two stage head, now Mclux PD also has a two stage head. only now you can actually buy it.

ARC4 came out with CPU controled levels, but it tooK LH to make it easy to use. next is pop circuit using a simple twisty action to control.

VIP was one of first to offer mechanical three level switch. U2 took it further. Now Gladius is using a mixture of mechanical and cpu control.

Bins are improving tremendously on luxeons. you hardly get a bad lux3 anymore. pretty soon Ubins will be common. Five watt luxeons seems to be stuck due to no further R&D.