Nuwai Q3 battery problem

nauss

Newly Enlightened
Hey all.

I just changed the battery in my Q3 for the first time. I think there is a problem. The voltage on the supplied battery was 3.0v when installed and now is only 2.75v. Instead of dimming, as I have read here in the forums, it just cuts off completely. I will wait a few seconds and turn it on again. This only gives me a about a half second of light and then nothing.

Is this a faulty unit??

By the way, I put in a new Surefire 3v and it works fine.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,

Lance
[email protected] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Q3 modded with a dorcy AAA circuit for sale. It has much more graceful shutdown (moon mode) and a little more efficient. As I have told those that were inquiring about my sale, some people have reported abrupt shutdown in their Q3. You are not alone.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes, even a new CR123 battery can be a dud, right out of the box. And not just off brands, either, but reputable ones. You might try another battery to see if your light will work with that.

nauss

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I just remembered and put my AA extender on it and it works fine. Now, if the AA is working at 1.5v and the 3v was/is putting out 2.75v, then what is the problem?

nauss

Newly Enlightened
By the way, should I complain to the vendor and ask for a new Q3 of what?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Q3 died a month or two ago. A brand new battery will provide only minimal light in the on position, and die essentially overnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was a great little light, but I also had problems with it accidentially turning on while in the holster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
My Q3 died a month or two ago. A brand new battery will provide only minimal light in the on position, and die essentially overnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have a damaged board. Try using a R123, the higher voltage may DD the Luxeon and makes it working again.

Niteowl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nauss said:.....The voltage on the supplied battery was 3.0v when installed and now is only 2.75v. Instead of dimming, as I have read here in the forums, it just cuts off completely. I will wait a few seconds and turn it on again. This only gives me a about a half second of light and then nothing........

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine did the same thing with the Panasonic battery it came with. I was bummed out. Some time ago others reported the same results. I put in a Battery Station cell ($1@ CPF price) and all was good. Ran longer with the battery down to around 1.3 or so, and stepped down reasonably. I get another 30-45 mins. of light (not much though) before I give up and change it. I've run at least five more through it with the same results. I also have put a cell in from my E1e when it was looking low and it ran fine in the Q-III. Of course YMMV......see how it shakes out with the SF. Might want to give the Battery Station litho's a try too.

And if all goes well, try goldserve's dual brightness switch mod. I've got two on the way.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd gotten two weeks out of mine before it went dead. Unless they are name brand cells, any battery that comes with device should be considered "chuckable"!

chiphead

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, I've got one in the mail to me atm... with these reports I'm worried I've put my money in the wrong place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
My Q3 died a month or two ago. A brand new battery will provide only minimal light in the on position, and die essentially overnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was a great little light, but I also had problems with it accidentially turning on while in the holster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can use a soldering gun you could mod your Q3 to Direct Drive following my instructions here.

About accidentally turning on, you need a lot of pressure to activate the Q3 switch. Maybe you have a defective one, if so you can buy a spare one from eTendue

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
THe supplied Panasonic battery does die suddenly once it starts going flat.

I have sold 100 Q3's with not a single problem.

Streak

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not doubt that. The Q3 has almost attained cult status here on CPF - but with ANY mass produced product, there WILL be some bad units.

Geologist

Enlightened
I once read a thread regarding the QIIIs and battery chemistry. Supposedly, some batteries such as the BS CR123s will give a longer moon mode (presumed with slightly less regular brightness), while a SF CR123 holds the voltage higher until the battery is dead and then the unit abruptly fails. The cheapo Panasonics that are included seem to fall into this class. Also at issue would be (I think - correct me if I am an idiot) the forward voltage (Vf) of the LED.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
Fortunately none of mine!!

Only problem I have is that from daily carry the pouch wears very quickly and I need to find a more robust replacement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen on the stock pouch wearing out. Check here for a potential replacement.

nauss

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear the replies.

I am running Surefire batteries now. I really bet that it is the Panasonic that came with it that is to blame. I mean, if I can run 1.5v AA's, why not 2.75v Panasonic? You know. They must be just crap!

The Nuwai Q3 seems to be a good light for the money, so don't be discouraged guys. It is well worth the $30+/- on here or ebay. Don't worry.

What I would like to see is a mod for filters on the Q3. I have an IR filter for my Mini-DV and would like to fit it onto the Q3. Adding threads or a quick mount system might be worth trying out. Don't know.

Keep modding and posting people.

Lance

ps- Check out my Q3 LED at work photos: www.pbase.com/nauss

Niteowl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Grox said:
Gee, I've got one in the mail to me atm... with these reports I'm worried I've put my money in the wrong place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Grox,
I paid much more than currently priced when these first came out. Not sorry one bit. Bought four more, two for others, two to stash. I think you'll be happy with yours. Don't sweat it 'till you get it. The great thing is they are easy to modify/upgrade. Very modder friendly if I can work on it.

BTW my bin is SYAJ, a decent Vf. I might "upgrade" the star anyways to a TV1J if I get a couple.