• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WITHDRAWN

Grumpy

Enlightened
I purchased two PT Corona headlights and modified one of them with the new Nichia NSPW500CS leds. These are the new ones from Nichia that are twice as bright and don't use more power. I compared it to the one that had not been modified yet and it was twice as bright. I then modified the other one with the same leds. I only need one so I am offering one of them for sale for $40. I have $46 including shipping in the light itself from brightguy.com and another 7.00 in the 8 replacement leds. I also have the original box that the light came in. Please add for shipping and paypal fees.

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: PT Corona Modified with New Nichia Leds for sale.

Hi Grumpy,

I have a PT Corona and love it.
I was also thinking of swapping out the leds in mine, I still have some 26,000 mcd leds left.
Are those the leds you used?

How hard was it to do the swap?
I was hoping they were just held in place by being soldered in place.

~John

Grumpy

Enlightened
Re: PT Corona Modified with New Nichia Leds for sa

I used the new Nichia NSPW500CS that I am selling in the second group buy. REMOVE THE BATTERIES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING AND DO NOT REINSTALL BATTERIES UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED THE NEW LEDS THAT YOU INSTALL WITH A OHM METER THAT WAY IF YOU GET TO MUCH SOLDER YOU MAY BE ABLE TO REMOVE IT BEFORE DAMAGING YOUR LIGHT.You have to remove the back cover by prying on it a little because it has a black sealant to keep out the water. It is not that hard to pry apart. It has a heat sink that has heat transfer compound between it and the electronics. Make sure to remove all of the heatsink compound before you start soldering. Also make sure that when you reassemble that you add some heat compound back.
On the back of the circuit board there is only a very very small area around the pins on the leds to solder in without shorting out. Please look under magnifying glass to see the small black ring around the pins. If you add to much solder back or get it in the wrong place it would not be good. I have modified several different types of lights with these leds that were very easy to do but this light is very easy to mess up. I would recommend using a OHM meter after installing new leds. Place on both pins of each of the leds to make sure that there is not a short. The leds will show a very small reading themselves. I am new to soldering and had some help. You may know alot more than I do. I would not recommend if you are not a expert soldier or have someone to help you that is. Also the power leads that come from the battery pack will need to be desoldered for you to remove the circuit board. Make sure to notice the orientation of the leds before you remove so you will know how to reinstall correctly. If I remember correctly one of them turns opposite from the others. Also another area where it would be easy to mess up is where the power leads from the battery pack are soldered. IF the new solder that you add is to high then it will contact the heatsink a short out.I emailed PT and they said that they will be using this new led as soon as they use up their remaining stock of the old leds. I would recommend waiting on them that way your warranty will not be affected and you would not take a chance on damaging your light.
Sorry that I am not very good at giving directions.

jtice

Flashaholic

Grumpy,

Thanks alot!
Those were VERY good directions ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Are these leds any different beam pattern?
I replaced my Eternalights leds with 26,000 mcd ones, and they are tighter, and slightly more violet.
Id like to keep the same beam pattern if possible.

~John

P.S. why hasnt someone bought this yet !?
Seems like a good bit of work went into it.

Grumpy

Enlightened

It seems to be the same beam pattern to me. It is a big flood light. It lights up a big area. It is more violet however.