camp

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
One with an adjustable output, or what we call variable power lights.

There will be times when you need just a little bit of light to read or accomplish tasks at close range without blinding yourself. The benefits of low light also include long runtime - the light that burns half as bright burns twice as long, you may have heard the opposite saying about the candle.

There will also be times where you need absolute maximum output to spot at a distance or check out "What was THAT?!?"

And Murphy's Law will ensure you always have the opposite kind of light vs your current requirements.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif variable power lights are one way to resolve this.

There are many.. I own the Surefire U2 Digital Ultra, the Surefire L1 LumaMax, the PocketMate-V (custom) and the HDS Basic 60. But don't let these throw you off track, there are many others worth a look - too many for me to go into here.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just because I'm me, I have to recommend the MaxaBeam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It has 3 powerfunctions, spot to flood, is weather resistant, and throws like a cannon. But, it's $1800 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...........................But, I just said that because I'm obsessed with that light.

In reality, I would recommend the SureFire L4. I5t's small, tough as darts, and has enough light to light up an entire camp site. And, if you need it to be rechargeable, you can get rechargeable batts for it (Pila 168s). AND, you can make it have 2 output levels by buying the daul stage sawitch for it that McGizmo makes so you get better battery life and less of a blinding light when you don't want it. All in allk it's a great light with a very high satisfaction rating on CPF.

charliek

Enlightened
I like to bring a few- as long as I'm "car camping" I bring a bunch....

Hiking, or lightweight camping, and I have to be more selective.

I generally bring a small pocket or keychain light as "backup"
A mid size torch as a general "walk around" light
A headlamp for hands free work around the camp site
and finally.... a "heavy hitter" with big power and long throw for those
"what just went *bump* in the night" times.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been covered in a lot of other threads as well but here I go again...

For camping you REALLY want something with adjustable power levels, that keeps your hands free, and provides a nice even flood in your immediate area and long runtime. In other words an LED based headlamp.

However, due to the angle and type of light, walking trail after dark with a headlamp usually sucks (you don't get great depth perception). So it's also a good idea to have a handheld light of some type. Again you want some good runtime, but you also want the ability to really light up an area in case you need to see whats going on at a distance.

The following suggestions were arrived at after much field testing on my part.

If you have the budget for it...
Petzl Tactikka Plus LED Headlamp for hands free and close up stuff. Surefire L2 -Low for walking around, High to floodlight the area.

On a lower budget...
Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp for the hands free and Gerber LX 3.0 for walking around (no Hi/Low though).

These are what my wife and I use in the woods. I carry the first set and my wife carries the second set (though now she wants an L2 as well). So far (knock wood) we've never had any situation that wasn't covered with those combinations.

If I could only bring one light it would probably be the Surefire A2 and a spares carrier with extra batts and bulb. However it really goes against my grain to backpack with just one light.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, noname.

I guess it will depend on how you are 'camping'--with cars or no cars, pitch dark or with ambient light source...

A combo with a throw and flood light(or both in one) with be great. Such as SF A2, Streamlight twintask are good hybird lights to use.

Personally, I think the camping/rural area is a great setting to test out lights in reality; and I tends to carry as many as I can on short hike, just so I have fun with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I always carry a headlamp when camping. I had a Petzl Zoom for years, and later got a Zora (my Zoom died a most dignified death while working in the Amazon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif). Back when I also carried a minimag as backup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

My current favorite headlamps are the Black Diamond hybrids, but I'm thinking about getting a Lux-based one. Not sure yet, though, 'cuz I think I'll miss the insane throw of incan headlamps. I guess I'm also waiting for Lux models to get more popular/more options (regulation, etc.). I think BD's "IQ" models are great, but I haven't tested one yet.

My backup lights now are all CMG Infinities, although I brought my Peli M6 last time we went camping.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my EL Hyper Blaster, long run time, bright beam, regulated, runs on standard D size Batteries, LED, no more blown bulbs

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a headlamp at least. Normally I'd have my Pelican 3Led headlamp and my UKE 2L for some throw. The UKE 2L has very decent runtime and its size is a huge plus. Apart from that, as some have mentioned, a small light on a neck lanyard is a good choice too, like an Infinity Ultra/G, Tektite Splashlite Led, etc. An Eternalight is also a great companion for camping due to its dimmable features.

The choices are limitless, so maybe in your case you might want to evaluate what other equipment you're bringing and what batteries you use. Try to standardize on battery type to bring and maybe that would help better with your decision making...

Display_Name

Newly Enlightened
surefire g2. Just because its bright cheep cool and awesome. Or you can get a giant 6d maglite. At camp we played hide and go seek in the dark. Awww good times.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look, it depends on what you call "camping". If you're going to be at a campsite, by all means get some huge 12v powered floodlight. But if you're going to be hiking/bushwalking, I would highly reccommend a dual output light. In either of these situations, a headlamp is incredibly useful for night outings (eg. toilet, cooking at night, finding stuff in a bag in the dark). I would not be caught without one of these. You definately also need a good dual output flashlight - the low must be low enough not to blind you/disturb others too much/totally ruin your night vision. The high must be high enough to illuminate a good clearing - just think about the times you've needed to see things and then work back from there.

Good dual outputs would include: Surefire U2, L2, L4(with dual stage output), A2.

Also - take spare batteries and lamps (if incandescent).

Like a lot of the others, I really like to have a small light with me at all times just in case - something around a neck lanyard works for some people. I carry a nuwai q3 with me for that purpose.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Photon Freedom and a Streamlight Twin-Task 2L.

The Photon Freedom with it's clip to your ball cap makes a neat little head lamp. They are now using an increased output white LED that I really like. If your car camping a fluorescent lantern "might" be useful.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When we had a blackout the other night, the most valuable light I had was a Headlamp (in this case a "Nightblaster" LED 3AAA which is a close copy of the Streamlight Clip Mate). I used it get extension cords, get the generator running, and then read of few chapters of a book.

Also used a generic 3D 9LED light, and a Streamlight 3CXP/LED as room lights pointed at the ceiling. And a Dorcy 1AAA 1LED as a nitelight.

What I'm trying to say is, a Headlamp should be a requirement! For the other tasks LED works dandy in quality dark, and a rather cheap but good hybrid can be found in the Streamlight Twin Task series. The 2L is ~roughly~ similar to the SF A2. Switching is different of course, and light output isn't in quite the same range. That said the TT costs around 25% of what the A2 does. There are 1L, 2L, 3AA, 3C and 2D models, so almost a battery choice to fit in with other equipment (excluding aaa).

I should like to aquire a better headlamp myself!

By the way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

WELCOME TO CPF!!! (Hide the wallet! Shred the Credit Cards!)

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
A Photon Freedom and a Streamlight Twin-Task 2L.
The Photon Freedom with it's clip to your ball cap makes a neat little head lamp. They are now using an increased output white LED that I really like. If your car camping a fluorescent lantern "might" be useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a new Photon freedom and it's GREAT! I'm going to try just what you said- clip it on my hat brim- I think it'll work great as a nice work-light. The 2L is also a fantastic light.... Good advice!

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
At the risk of committing flashlight heresy, I'd suggest a pair of LED bike lights due to their cost and light weight; Planet Bike's "Beamer", a 3LED steady on or winking white light which runs on 2 AA's, light enough to be tucked inside the neck opening of a balaclava, or attached with a dead bike inner tube rubber band to a strip of velcro as a headlight. They are about $15Can (12$US) from the Mountain Equipment Co-Op at MEC.ca. MEC also stocks a $3 2 AAA red LED winkie light which also has a steady-on function, and a clothing clip, which is what I use when I want to keep my dark-adapted eyes working while looking for something in my tent. Both will burn for a tremendously long time (weeks of steady-on use) and give useful light. I have a review of a slightly heavier (350gram) $125Can digital helmet light by Nite-Hawk elsewhere on this site. It can also be used as a head light, with even longer burn times due to its variable output and wink modes. The Petzel LED head lights are very well regarded here as well. Finally, for map reading in creepy overcast weather despite what should be the midnight sun, if you can afford it, the Peak AAA Matterhorn is pretty unbeatably tough, light, and small! Bonne voyage!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a headlight. There are lots of good ones and it depends on your needs. For long runtime C or D battery packs are available that clip onto your belt. I like the flood/throw combo of my Yukon HL which gives about 3 - 4 hours RT on 3AA cells.

The Twin Tasks are good choices with the TT-1 & 2 for small, light weight, or the 2D & 3C styles for longer RT.

I like my plastic, waterproof, dive rated Pelican 2 & 3C lights, but they are more for throw.

The venerable Inova X5T will provide a flood of light and makes good use of, otherwise, spent 123 cells that no longer power a xenon lamp.

Something dim with good RT for the tent - you don't want to blind yourself or ruin your night adapted eyes if you have to leave the tent for some "chores".

jtice

Flashaholic
Something BRIGHT- nice mag mod, maybe even a dimmable one.

HEADLAMP- a MUST have, I recommend the PT Corona

LONG Runtime light- I recommend the UK 4AA LED

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
auroreboreale said:
I'd suggest a pair of LED bike lights due to their cost and light weight; Planet Bike's "Beamer", a 3LED steady on or winking white light which runs on 2 AA's,!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I've always gone to flashlights under camping at MEC, never thought about biking.

Does the handlebar bracket detach from the light? I never learned to ride a bike so will be using it only as a general purpose light.