• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB/Looking for: Modded Minimag reflector 4 lux...

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the IMS 17mm but want a tighter spot so im looking for a modded minimag reflector with the enlarged hole.

Anyone?

Thnx!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTB/Looking for: Modded Minimag reflector 4 lu

Try the IMS 20mm. With a little work it will fit in there.

Ledean

Enlightened
Yes, as dat2zip says the 20 mm IMS reflector gives a superior beam to the 17mm and certainly better than the modded maglite reflector. The surface area of 20 mm reflector is greater and it is able to collect more light for tighter hotspot and more throw.
If you are interested I mod minimag heads to accept 20 mm IMS reflectors.

Thanks

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McR20 reflector works well also. I think it gives a better beam than the IMS. You would, of course, need access to either a lathe or someone with a lathe to turn a shelf into the head to accommodate the reflector.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

I've heard that a correctly modded minimag reflector gives a tighter beam and much wider corona than the 20mm IMS reflector.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

The modded MiniMag reflector does give a larger corona than does the IMS 20mm, but it gives a slightly less tight hot spot. The trouble I've been having with the modded MiniMag reflector is that with most miniMags I can't get the head to screw down tight enough to bring the light into focus. The light source has to be well up into the reflector to focus, which means a good bit or the rear of the reflector must be removed. The reflector is attached to the head and the head can only screw down so far before it runs out of threads. At this point the Luxeon is too far back to come into focus. I find it a lot simpler to remove some metal from the inside of the head and put in a 20mm IMS reflector.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, 4X4Dragon.

I think it is a personal thing when deciding between 20IMS and modded Minimag stock reflector--if you take a look at the beamshots between them at section 4 of Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Mod, you could see that modded stock reflector will give a 'tighter' spot with tiny bit less of brightness than the 20IMS, but at the same time the self-modded stock reflector will have a brighter corona(as Nikon said).

I think how the well the self-modded reflector works will largely depend on how is it being modded. But for the work required and performance wise, I do agree with Dat2zip and think that 20 IMS is pretty easy to mod and result is great.

I haven't tried working on a McR20, but I did hear many good things about it and it probably would worth the try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif