CMG Infinity Ultra

TotalNewb

Banned
Is it alright to use Lithium AA's in a CMG Infinity Ultra?

Also, is the CMG Infinity Ultra a good light? I was thinking about ordering one and was looking for feedback.

Thanks!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The short answer is yes and yes. Many people have used lithiums in these lights with no adverse effects (enjoying the lighter weight and better cold performance). The CMG (or Ultra -G from CountyComm which is hard annodized) version is a classic, well regarded and very useful light. However, a while back, CMG was bought out by Gerber (the knife maker) and they tweaked the design a bit producing a version that is a little larger and less indestructable. If you hurry, you can still get the Ultra-G version for $22- more than they used to be, but still a good deal considering they aren't made anymore.

By the way, welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif..

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is the old (better IMHO design) but I'd go with this one http://www.countycomm.com/light9.htm for $5 more- the annodization is much tougher (its actually the hardened top layer of alluminum compared to a sort of "paint" that can easily scratch off). It's genuine government issue (it will probably say "US Government" on it rather than CMG). Otherwise, its the same light and you really can't go wrong with either of them.
ps- do a search for botach; many people have had issues with them, but I can't speak from personal experience.

Whoops! I just actually looked at the link I posted and realised that they are already sold out! Sorry about that. In that case, I'd say go ahead and order the CMG version before that one is a collectors item as well

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might call them and verify that they have them in stock and that it's the old style front twisty design. Not everyone keeps their website images updated (for example Gerberblades was showing the old style) or may appreciate that the difference means something to you.

greenLED

Flashaholic
TotalNewb, before ordering, take a look at the Cheers & Jeers section. There is a (rather long) thread on Botach...

sniper

Enlightened
Welcome, but BE Careful!!! That's what got me sucked into the swamp of Flashaholism...Like you, I innocently was walking along the street, when I saw info on the CMG Infinity Ultra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wellll...one thing lead to another, and NOW I have two Mini Mag MJLEDs, with clickie, Three 3D Mags, 1 modded, a Streamlight Twin Task 3C, Oh,... and a UK eLED 4aa, and a partridge in a Pear tree.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

I have given away one mag, one MCD 26000 modded clone, a Mini mag solitaire, and a MJLED modded clone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Awaiting mods are: a 3D mag, a Mini Mag, and a clone. All this since last November, I think. AND I still want a CMG Infity Ultra! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Welcome, settle in and enjoy. It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Infinity Ultra was one of the light that I highly regarded, until the recent makeup from Gerber.
The new version has a thinner wall, tiny springs, and it is made of three parts instead of two.
There is an advantage... it can be easily opened for modding.
My 2 €cents

Anthony

boosted

Newly Enlightened
Was there any beam comparison shots between the CMG Ultra and the Solitaire? I wonder which is brighter.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I still owned a Solitaire, I would be glad to post a beamshot but trust me, the CMG wins in brightness, throw, whiteness and no rings in the beam.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG Ultra vs Solitaire? No contest. CMG Ultra is brighter, whiter, has much greater runtime and will never need a replacement bulb. Last but not least, it's not made by M/\g. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boosted

Newly Enlightened
Well that's enough of a comparison for me. hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just have to make sure the Ultra that place is selling is the CMG version, not the Gerber.

boosted

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm happy to report that the yahoo store TotalNewb posted is selling the CMG version. I finally got a reply from them. Get them while you still can!

TotalNewb

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
boosted said:
Well I'm happy to report that the yahoo store TotalNewb posted is selling the CMG version. I finally got a reply from them. Get them while you still can!

[/ QUOTE ] Nice, I am glad that you got a rply. I e-mailed them on Monday asking when my order was going to be shipped since for some reason it wasn't shipped already. Still haven't received a reply.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I decided not to buy from them after reading the Cheers and Jeers thread, and having them never reply to my 2 or 3 e-mails.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
I decided not to buy from them after reading the Cheers and Jeers thread, and having them never reply to my 2 or 3 e-mails.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some things never change.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old-style CMG Infinity Ultra's are winners and classics. It's a shame they stopped making them. If you can get one, do it. You won't regret it. R.I.P., CMG Infinity Ultra!!