Vital Gear Bodies - how to make a complete light?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings:
I was checking out our newest CPF Banner Ad sponser (LightHound.com) and found that they sell something called Vital Gear Bodies . The Lighthound website does not provide many details, and a search of the CPF archives did not answer my questions.

What is included with the bodies - just the switch?
Do these work to host the B.O.G. 3W dropin modules?
How does one buy a head for the unit?
Are these strictly "tactical tails" for SureFire products?

These look NEAT - can use a clip for bezel DOWN carry!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Any answers?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: Vital Gear Bodies - how to make a complete lig

I use a shock proof bezel and P91 bulb assembly from SF and an "E to C" adapter from John and I have a neat equivalent of a compact C3.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

It will fit any surefire E- series compatable head.(aleph, for one)and as above with an adapter other SF head's.
I really like the VG stuff.

I use two KL-1's on a FB-1 (1a123) compact, good runtime, bright and lot's of throw. VDG

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
snip...
What is included with the bodies - just the switch?
Do these work to host the B.O.G. 3W dropin modules?
How does one buy a head for the unit?
Are these strictly "tactical tails" for SureFire products?

These look NEAT - can use a clip for bezel DOWN carry!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Any answers?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are buying on the web site is the body and the tail cap with a very silent clicky switch.

The web site does not show another model of the VG light and that is the one with the head and the incandescent bulb. I do have one of the head and bulb lights. I took out the bulb and replaced it with a BOG/SF replacement reflector LED. It works surprising well with a frosty blue tint.

If you don't have a VG head then I know for a fact that a SF KL4 head will work with the VG body. If you like to roll your light you can use an Aleph head, build a light engine and you are good to go.

You can ream a lot of information and pictures on VG bodies from an old group buy on THIS THREAD.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

the one thing about the VG bodies is that they are interchangable with SF heads but not with SF tailcaps. So that eliminates Aleph tailcaps for example, Z57s, etc.

(On the VG group buy stuff I got recently, the switch is really nice though.)

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies!

TrueBlue:
Where did you get the complete unit?
Is there a holster available?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Vital Gear complete body can be found at SURPREMECO. It is a nice place to do business.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use my VG body with a KL4 head, and I find the pocket clip completely trustworthy. .

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened

I like the Vital Gear bodies. Present setups are:

3 cell body, E to C adapter(allows C size Surefire bezels to fit E size bodies) with Surefire M2 bezel and P91 lamp. Can use 2 Pila 150S rechargables, or 3 CR123's. 225 lumens.

2 cell body, E to C adapter, Surefire G2 Tan bezel with replacement UCL glass lens, Surefire P90 lamp, 2 rechargable 123's. 100+ lumens, very compact. One of my favorite carry lights.

2 cell body with Surefire E2e bezel, stock 60 lumen E2e lamp, disposable Cr123's. Smaller bezel is sometimes more comfortable in front pocket carry than C size bezels. Sweet size. Probably least expensive, least hassle setup.

1 cell body, Aleph A2 bezel, NG500/TWOK light engine, standard or rechargable CR123. Most expensive option, but great size. I give up the 2 stage switch of a full Aleph build, but the size is so small, you forget about it. Not to small, not to big. If someone could come up with a 2 stage switch to retro fit Vital Gear bodies, I'd call it about perfect.

The 2 cell and 1 cell bodies are about as small as you can get with a switch in E series compatable parts. I'm also a fan of the bezel down carry. If it comes loose, it's likely to fall into my pocket. I also like the natural grip of bezel down. I don't have to dink around finding the right position to hold the light. Seems more intuitive.

To use the BOG 3w drop in, you would need an E series bezel to C series bezel adapter, and a C size bezel from a G2, C2, C3, M2, 6P, 9P,Z2,or Z3, and probably a few others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Where to buy? Lighthound(formerly Surefireparts on E-bay) has a good reputation, tends to have the parts you'd be looking for. Calvin at [email protected] is a great guy to buy from. You may be able to save a couple bucks sourcing parts on the B/S/T forum. I'm not sure what the BOG drop in goes for, or how it would compare performance wise, but the new Surefire KL1 heads sound pretty good for the price. (60-65?)

Half the fun is mixing and matching the parts!

Yes, I'm a fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Mark

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didnt want to start a whole new thread about this, so I thought I would ask here. Is it really possible to use 2xAA in the FB3 body without any spacer? I was thinking about buying one along with a KL1 so I can run it on 2 lithium AAs.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 2 AA cells make a bit of a rattle sound because of the extra body space but, yes, 2xAA cells will fit and work in the FB3.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I use the BOG 3w module with the complete light available from SupremeCo? Are there any holsters to fit the Vital Gear F2?

BTW: Thanks for all the info - I can't believe that these have not gotten more attention on CPF.

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened

I didn't know they took P60, 61 lamps. Cool!
No adapter necessary.
Good luck,
Mark

jacques

Newly Enlightened

mmattoon,

So a 2 cells VG body using a E to C adapter will take G2, 6P head? If yes it will be cool as I am looking for a body to the up coming new KL3, where I can found a E to C adapter ?

Many thanks

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
Can I use the BOG 3w module with the complete light available from SupremeCo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The VG FB1, FB2 and FB3 work very well with the BOG drop-in.

vgfb1bog9zj.jpg

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jacques said:
mmattoon,

So a 2 cells VG body using a E to C adapter will take G2, 6P head?

<font color="blue"> Yes </font>

If yes it will be cool as I am looking for a body to the up coming new KL3, where I can found a E to C adapter ?

<font color="blue">See previous post r.e. Lighthound, Calvin at Brightflashlites. Either one will probably have what you need. </font>

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> </font>

Regards,

Mark

larryk

Enlightened

I have the E to C adapter and you can use the Surefire P60, P61, P90 and P91 Lamps with it, but the Surefire G2 and 6P head will not fit on this adapter, the threads are not long enough to engage the Surefire heads. Larry.

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened

There may be more than one E to C adapter.

I got 2 from Calvin at Briteflashlites. No manufacturer's markings or packaging labels. My G2 bezel fits fine, and I tried a 6P style bezel off of a Surefire MP5 forend. It worked no problem.

For some reason I really like the Tan G2 bezel/UCL on the FB2. Get's a little warm after 5 minutes with a P91 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

YMMV

Mark

Mark