• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB MicroPill for cut-down AA mag

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all! I have a nice AAA Solitaire with a Lambda MicroPro or something similar. (cant remember what it was we installed in there) It has a 1w emitter and can run on primary AAA or L-iON for a more output. I mention this because it may be what I'm looking for or maybe there are other options.

I just got a really nice cut-down AA MiniMag and wanted to put a nice LED mod in there. The criteria is that it has to be able to run on a single AA alkaline battery and can handle a L-iON battery swap as well.

Please post your recommendation and PM any offers to sell.
Also what bin would work well/best with this set-up for runtime?

Thanks for reading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Madmax Lite with Lux I at the Sandwich Shoppe. I'm very impressed with the beam output, the tint and the only $30 price. The Sandwich will run on a single AA cell.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony,

One of my favorite lights is a 1AA cut down MiniMag with a nexgen 750, with TWOJ, from the Shoppe, powered by a AA Li-Ion. This little light is really impressive. We could get together Sat night for show and tell with my minimag collection.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank Bill & Jim! I didn't think the sandwich shop had 1w sammies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So the MadMax Lite should be able to handle the 3.7-4.2v of a L-iON?
Runtime is probably only 1hr on a single primary. I think the Lambda product runs longer thaough. Can find any of those either.
How about a BB300 looks like longer runtime but they dont have them in stock.

Jim: I'll give you a call to let you know if wifey and I aren't doing anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TrueBlue said:
Check out the Madmax Lite with Lux I at the Sandwich Shoppe. I'm very impressed with the beam output, the tint and the only $30 price. The Sandwich will run on a single AA cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put a MM Lite Lux I in the micromag I got from you TrueBlue and it is a really nice light, in fact it's my favorite. For $30.00, it's a very good buy. $30.00 for the MM Lite Lux I that is. The micromag cost just under that, but well worth it in my opinion. This makes a nice, unique little light.

I think that this one will get much more than an hour run time though, even from a single AA.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Mike. The chopped Mag really is an under-rated, nice, light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and I think the little Mag would run for more than an hour with a Madmax Lite.

With a 14500 Li-ion rechargeable cell the little light is as bright or brighter than a 2AA version of the light. You wouldn't be disappointed.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got this email from Kevin at Lambda Lights.

"Unfortunetly with the 20mm IMS reflector the MiniPro heatsink is too tall to work properly. However, tomorrow I should be finished putting together some MiniPro Flat Top kits with a new heatsink wich allows the MiniPro to be used in the MiniMag with 20mm reflector."

I replied with a few questions about runtime etc. So maybe we can compare.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
I just got this email from Kevin at Lambda Lights.

"Unfortunetly with the 20mm IMS reflector the MiniPro heatsink is too tall to work properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lambda is correct, but the operative word is "properly". Actually, it does work, but, with the light turned on, you only have about a third of a turn on the threads to hold the head on - voice of experience.

I wouldn't mind replacing my mini-pro with one of Lambda's new shorter mini-pros.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar posted a couple run time graphs for a MadMax Lite TWOJ/TXOJ running one Energizer E2 L-91. Probably the Lux III, but might be useful none the less.

Here.

And here.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news! Kevin at Lambda just sent me a 3w TWOJ MiniPro MiniPro Kit

It's suppose to run about 2hrs on a single AA primary with a pretty consistant output over that time.

So it looks like JimH and I will be able to compare them in a week or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Enlightened
I have built a handful of the MiniPro kits and I love them. They perform great(IMHO)and for the cost, nothing can touch them. I haven't tried one with a li-ion yet, but I plan on it. I have used (2) AA, (1)AA, & (1) CR123.
Good Luck.
Chris

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh! Lambda's MiniPro just arrived and I plopped it in the ice blue cut-down AA Mag. Tried it with a primary alkaline first and it blew away any 1w I have including the MJLED. Then I stuck in a fresh L-iON and SHAZAM! Very nice. [edit: but this MiniPro is a 3w TWOJ, so we need a LUX reading to compare with other 3w lights] The 20mm smooth reflector has some minor rings but it looks great in the daytime. I'll get some LUX readings tonight and make some comparisons.

Thanx Kevin!
signs-super.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTB MicroPill for cut-down AA mag - BIG Update

So I just finished measuring the Lambda MiniPro 3w TWOJ in my cutdown 1AA MiniMag with 20mm smooth reflector. The MiniMag T20 is a contender.

other-boxing1.gif

L91 Lithium AA Battery = 925 LUX at 1-meter
Lith Ion 14500 Battery = 2000 LUX at 1-meter
signs-wow.gif

Not bad for a small EDC type light that can run on regular easy to find AA batteries AND 14500 LiON too. The Jil rev that I have can do the same thing but it's reflector is a lot smaller (I mean the reflector that I moddedit with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) And the Q3R can do both batteries and get a 20mm reflector but again the Moded MiniMag wins out.

I found the smooth 20mm reflector actually doesn't have any rings or distortion if you focus the beam properly.

other-boxing3.gif

Anyway here are my stats on the Q3R and Jil Rev with Modded (larger) reflector
Q3 = 660 LUX on Primary
Q3R = 1150 LUX on LiON
Q3R-20mm = 1350 LUX on LiON
Jil Rev = 520 LUX on primary
Jil Rev = 1050 LUX of LiON
Raw Ubin = 1600 LUX on LiON

other-boxing2.gif

And we have a winner. The new simple mod champ for under $65 is The Crusher! Cutdown and lean with a 20mm Left and a 3w MiniPro Right. The MiniMag T20!!!

The champ steps up to the microphone: ehem! I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice and tips in this thread. I couldn't have done it without you. A big thanks to Ledean, for your big 20mm and helping me get lean and cut. I'd like to also thank Kevin at Lambda. The don't make contenders, they make contenders, Winners! Thank you all.
cry.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Cromag:

How did you manage to get one from kevin? did you get on the list from the beginning?

I've been waiting for mine since....around the beginning of the year... :sob:

Nick

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Umm... We're like "this"? err... Timing? .... ummm direct line to his office? ... Luck! Yup musta been my lucky day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's worth the wait though.

Ledean

Enlightened

CromagNet,
You are welcome
I am glad to have played a small part in supplying the miniminimag.
After reading your thread I have ordered for a minipro , but I was not aware that there is a wait period... Oh I hope it is not so !

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this a drop-in or a put it together yourself kit? I signed up on the drop-in list, lo, many months ago. I thought it died. No offence meant to Lambda.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

AFIK Lambda only sells Mini Pro kits (some assembly required). No wait for kits. Infinte wait for TK units.

Asside from what Cromagnet (Tony's a smooth talker) was able to get. I do not believe Lambda sells TK Mini Pro's anymore.

Enlightened

I have built some of the kits and I think 4sevens offers to build them for a fee. I think the minipro is a "killer" drop in.
Chris