Palm PCB "Memory" Cell

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm PCB \"Memory\" Cell

My old Palm M100's data retention cell is green with corrosion and no longer holds the memory between battery changes. It looks like a 1.5 volt button cell with solder tabs. I've yet to see a lithium cell leak or green with corrosion. Anyone know what to replace it with? Alkaline, mercury, silver, NiCd etc? Thanks for your input.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Palm PCB \"Memory\" Cell

I believe it's a backup battery. It looks alot like button cell and I believe it is rechargeable. Because everytime you'll lose your data if you don't replace your battery within a timeframe.

Alot of people seems to have a problem with it so I guess you might want to have a look here. You might get a replacement unit.

Here's where all the techie people hang out and make noise about the problem[slahdot].

And if you are brave enough to do what this guy does...
"**CAUTION, THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRENTY** I managed to part that fit, AND with batteries fully charged...if you yank them out, you'll have 15 minutes to put them back in.This repair lasted 9 months, then failed again. i'm on my 2nd fix. As i recall, the part is cheap. Technically, the replacement is a battery, not a cap OK...it's a "polycenic semiconductor (PAS) polymer" and is item # G13133 at electronic goldmine (www.goldmine-elec.com) . 5/ $1 + shipping. You'll have to cut the leads to fit the spot where the old one comes out, and it's bigger, so you kinda have to lean it against the reset switch, but *IT WORKS*. There's a good site somewhere that shows ya what the inside looks like. You'll need a 5mm Torx to open it with. You're on your own now. DIY. Mine's staying, to later become a weather station."

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Palm PCB \"Memory\" Cell

Thanks, koala, that info is helpful. My first challenge was finding a #5 torx; Sears had one in a combo type screwdriver kit but it was back ordered for two months.

So the cell IS Li-ion. I'll be darned.