reflector or optic for Nichia Jupiter?

beav

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to start experimenting with some of the Nichia Jupiter LEDs and have been looking around for some sort of optic or preferably reflector for them. So far, no luck...

Has anyone tried any of the luxeon optics or IMS reflectors with these? Or does anyone know of anything made for these LEDs?

Also, what are your thoughts about the LEDs in general?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi beav,

I recently designed a reflector for the Cree 7090 and it works well with the Nichia Jupiter as well. It works better with the Jupiter that doesn't have the integrated lens of course.

If you want to use the Jupiter with a reflector, the typical challenge will be in aligning the LED with the focal point of the reflector. If the focal point is within the reflector, the LED will need to be placed within as well which usually means a pretty big hole!

The 19 mm reflector I designed and now have (soon available from the shoppe) has its focal point behind the rear of the reflector and in fact it will seat down on the Nichia for a good alignment. I plan to use the reflectors as well as the Nichias for some fixed lighting fixtures still in the works.

Over all,I like the Nichia but I must warn that white wall hunters will see the Jupiter as a step back to pre EOS Lumileds history. You will find a disparity in tint typically ranging from a warm white in the corona to a bluish white in the spot beam with a reflector. In actual use, this inconsistancy in tint is not a big deal, IMHO.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don's beamshot: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cree-Nichia-Beam.jpg

bernie

*Retired*
McGizmo said:
Hi beav,

The 19 mm reflector I designed and now have (soon available from the shoppe) has its focal point behind the rear of the reflector and in fact it will seat down on the Nichia for a good alignment. I plan to use the reflectors as well as the Nichias for some fixed lighting fixtures still in the works.

Over all,I like the Nichia but I must warn that white wall hunters will see the Jupiter as a step back to pre EOS Lumileds history. You will find a disparity in tint typically ranging from a warm white in the corona to a bluish white in the spot beam with a reflector. In actual use, this inconsistancy in tint is not a big deal, IMHO.

What is the reflector called in the Shoppe for the Jupiter?