Surefire 8NX & E2 opinions

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am on the verge of getting both of these torches.
I can get both for the price of an 9AN.
Primary uses LE reserve and personal protection.
I am very new here and would like everyones input before I ask my financial counselor for the $$$$
wink.gif

Thaks in advance

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
I have both the E2 and the 8NX and I think that they are great!

The E2 is a nice carry around light that puts out a great beam.

The 8NX also has a great beam but its more of an around the house or in the car light.
It gets more use than my other lights because I can recharge it.

I would have a tough time giving up either one of these lights.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 8NX. It's a great light for searching for stuff up to around 100 feet. I am not a LEO, I do production work. But I do have to frequently search for lost equipment or make sure any equipment is not left behind in a dark outdoor/indoor situation, and in my group I have the only light/torch that can see into the rafters of a 30 foot ceiling and to the other end of a dark warehouse from any point in the room. It's just a bit heavy and bulky for me, so I am going to get an E2 or mabey an E2e when it comes out. If you are used to carrying bulky things on your belt like a gun then the 8NX probably won't seem too big.

Other than the size/weight, my only other complaint about the 8NX is that you have to remember to always have a fresh battery in it before you use it for a day. I have left the light sit for a week or so and the battery dies quickly. I guess it looses it's charge when not in use. Other members of this forum could answer the technical reasons for that. But a fresh battery (when properly conditioned) works for around 45-50 min, I will work 18-24 hour days sometimes and I usually wear out before the fresh battery does.
grin.gif

All in all it's a great light and I can't wait until the supposed 200+ lumen lamp comes out!!

One warning about this forum.
wink.gif
It can turn anyone looking for a flashlight/torch into the ultimate light craving madman as it did to myself. I went from a pitifull Mag AA straight to an 8NX and now I want more More MORE light!!!
shocked.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have both.

I don't think I'll be buying another SureFire unless it has a LockOut. I really like Nitrolon, especially the Yellow. The 8NX is used nightly but doesn't travel often, or far.

Al

SurefireM6

Enlightened
The new 2002 model E2 Elite comes with a lockout tailcap, pyrex lens and anti roll bezel. Wait for that one if you need the lockout. Looks like you can use the E2e lockout with the E2 though. I want the E2 wtih Pyrex and Lockout, don't want the Anti Roll bezel, it makes it bigger.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the 8NX will be able to use the high ouput X81 lamp (200 lumen - if it's ever actually made) the the 8NX and E2 will be a much better buy then the 9AN. If the 8NX can't use that lamp (I thinking the heat from the X81 might be too much), then think about spendingthe extra money for the 8AX, and the E-2. The aluminum body of the 8AX will probably handle harder use (abuse, and it will happen) better.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks everbody. But I already have a problem.
My wife saw the E2 and I may have lost it before I even get it.

recercare

Enlightened
What is a "lockout tailcap" and "pyrex lens"?
What's the major difference between GM and HA? Does the last one prevent scratches?

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's HA or Hard Anodising is to Military Level III spec so it's virtually impossible to scratch.

The "X81" is the name I made up for a high output lamp I want to have for the 8AX. This is not an official SureFire part, and we won't be seeing a high output 8AX or 9AN Lamp for a long time (mores the pity)

Whether PK makes an E Series Bezel with Pyrex Lens and without the anti-roll feature remains to be seen. Certainly there is demand here on the forums, and that does count for something.

If SureFire are not working on stuff for their exsisting models, they'll be working on stuff that is even more impressive!!

Do not wait. Buy now and give yourself that excuse to buy an E2e for yourself next year
grin.gif

Al