Given the choice

Narski18

Newly Enlightened
If you were given the choice between the Inova T-3 or the Streamlight TL-2 which one would you pick and why?

P.S.
Can anyone explain to me why they think the Inova T-4 scored a lower throw rating at flashlightreviews.com than either of the above lights did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for the T-3. Why? Because I like Inova lights better than Streamlights.
Did I win? Was this a contest? What did I get?
Just kidding.
Inova all the way. You should go look at them at tham both a hardware or police supply shop before making a decision. Hands on is the best way.
yaesumofo

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the T3. Don't have the TL2. Can't afford both, and none is significantly better than the other one. The T3 wins just because of coolness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

About the T4. Notice that the overall output of all three lights is pretty much identical. The T4's bezel diameter is slightly larger than the T3's. The lower throw is just a function of the different optics. The T4 is intended as a general purpose light, so the slightly bigger hotspot (which goes hand in hand with the lower throw) is probably not a bad thing.

BBL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
elgarak said:
About the T4. Notice that the overall output of all three lights is pretty much identical. The T4's bezel diameter is slightly larger than the T3's. The lower throw is just a function of the different optics.

[/ QUOTE ]
The T3 and T4's optics are the same (29mm tiros) - according to the brochure. Does the T4 maybe have a different emitter?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they were both on display at Cabelas (xo3, not T3), and I must say, the Xo3 is alot better in construction. The tl-2 feels cheap, and the finish comes off easily. Beam quality of the Tl-2 isnt nearly as good as the xo3.

-David

Bradlee

Enlightened
I have both the T3 and T4 (but not the TL-2). They are both meant to be throwers, and you will notice if you use them inside that their sidespill is somewhat ringy as a result of the TIROS (total internal reflection optics system). I find the T4 to have a slightly bluer tinge (not generally noticable, except by comparison) but a larger hotspot.

Since the T3 and T4 are both so similar, the only reasons I can think of that it would score lower are that it is slightly big (though much smaller than a 2 or 3D mag, which I would compare the output to), and some people question the water resistance arround the switch and charging contacts.

Best of luck with your decision.

-Brad

cslinger

Enlightened
Inova makes nicer lights. The TL2 puts out significantly more light in the real world and mine throws like mad.

I have both and like both very much. I prefer the Inova due to the LED robustness but if I need to grab a light for HD or long distance outdoor spotting it is either going to be my TL2 or Strion.

Chris

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
I have the TL-2 led 2ed gen, and it does throw well, as well as the ProPoly Luxeon when I compare them side by side. I can stand on the street and using it, count the leaves on the cat tails around my pond... a throw of a bit over 50 yards in my suburban setting. Perhaps I just got lucky in the Luxeon lottery, but it's great.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the T3 and T4 as well as both generations of the TL2 LED.
The T3 is a way cool light due to size.
The T4 is a little large and has a bit less throw than I would like given the lack of spill.

The Streamlights are nice but don't have the finish of the Inova lights. They do have great side spill and a decent throw.

One of these nights I can do an outdoor comparison of them and let ya all know my findings.

Analog

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
Well, they were both on display at Cabelas (xo3, not T3), and I must say, the Xo3 is alot better in construction. The tl-2 feels cheap, and the paint comes of easily. Beam quality of the Tl-2 isnt nearly as good as the xo3.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]
My Streamlight TL-2 is anodized. Some are painted?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo, you only saw it on display, how can you then know how easily the anodizing comes off? And if you haven't tried it out in the dark, how can you talk about its beam quality?
My TL-2 Xenon has a very nice beam and it does not feel cheap at all.

Sigbjoern

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested a luxeon version. I didnt like that you could see a circle in the beam from 1ft away from. It was on display for 3 months, so many people have been messing with it that the finish wore. But the Surefires on display didnt wear a bit. Isnt that weird? Kinda tells you something. Remember, this is a debate, not a fight.

-David

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to pick a fight cheapo, just found it strange that you could have such categorical statements about a light you have not carried and tried out in real use. Remember that the SureFires have HAIII finish that is more robust. And as long as you don't know how long each light has been on display and what abuse it has received, you really cannot compare durability.
I would have tested the beam at more than 1 ft, often some artifacts disappear at some distance.

Sigbjoern

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having a TL-3 and X5T for build comparison I had wanted an Inova T-3, it's a beautiful hunk of machining without being excessive or gaudy. But...I haven't bought one because it's circuitry was reported (on the CPF) to be driven hard, it's longer than my other lights which throw further, and I have a "thing" for small lights and got an E1L instead. The T-3 is such a cool light that I'm still looking for excuses to justify getting it.

If I could only have a TL-2 or T-3, I'd choose the Inova due to the (preceived) better build, longer run time, and it's an LED. That said, I use incans about 50% of the time but wonder whether I'll purchase another incan. It seems that they've bumped up against the wall of further improvement.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven, you are correct that I shouldnt be judging because I never carried a tl2. But you said yourself that the HAIII finish on Surefire is stronger, and Inova uses the same finish, therefor, the T3 is more durable.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if the paint wears away just because people touch it for a few months, than thats not a very good finish. It does have great runtime I must say. Better than that of the T3. Nice pocket clip and small size. I was actually going to get myself one, but I dont like the plastic reflector and the finish. Glass lens is a plus though.

-David

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I didn't remember the Inovas were HAIII. If I had to get one of the Inovas or a Streamlight LED, I would probably choose the Inova T2 because of the size and long runtime. But I much rather have my McLuxIII-PD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is nice to have an EDC that doesn't look to shabby (or maybe it should so people doesn't get tempted to steal it?), but mostly I regard the lights as tools so I doesn't care too much about them being scratched up. The other attributes are much more important.

Any reason you don't like plastic reflectors? I don't see any problem with them as long as they are well made.

The TL-2 may not be very scratch resistant, but IMO the build quality is very nice. I like the Xenon, but wouldn't get the LED.

Sigbjoern

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, plastic reflectors tend to effect beam quality. for example, I had a light with a partially textured reflector, and it had rings and artifacts. The tl-2 has a partially textured reflector, but if the beam quality is good, than it is no problem.

-David

Latest posts