What order to watch Star Wars episodes?

Moth

Newly Enlightened
My friend is 30 years old and has never seen any of the Star Wars movies. She has decided to watch them so she asked me what order should she watch them because she knows I'm a fan.

Here's the quandary:
I think it would be cool to see them in order from 1-6 but
I thought "Episode I" was inferior to "Episode IV" and may be a poor way to start.

Also, I think part of the "pay off" of "Episode III" is built into the tragedy of Darth Vader and his redemption in "Episode VI".

So: Where would you start if you'd never seen them before?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

gorlank

Enlightened
I'd probably just watch the original trilogy and leave the second three for a rainy day. The Phantom Menace is so godawful, it should be avoided except for the cool lightsaber battle. And that riveting Trade Federation garbage. Clones would be just average except for the hilarious "seduction" scenes between the two lovebirds. The dialogue is so bad it must be heard to be believed. Haven't seen the last one yet, will do so in the next week or so.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of watching them in order of 1-6, but then you lose one of the best parts of the Empire Strikes back. When Vader tells Luke that he is his father.
Yes, the first three are pretty bad in comparison to episodes 4-6, but they are part of the story and should be watched too.

JOshooter

Enlightened
For those of you interested in a deeper meaning in Star Wars, read Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and "The Power of Myth."

An interesting fact: Star Wars is the same hero story, Lucas made it with the help of Joseph Campbell and "Hero with a Thousand Faces"

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
Watch number 4. Then stop.

Then have her watch the Back to the Future trilogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this recommendation. Number 4 is a classic, while the others are unremarkable. If she really wants to try to see them all, definitely start with 4 and just stop when she can't stand any more of them. She might get through 4, 5, 6 and 1.

Latest posts