Inova T2 Problems

InovaGuy

Newly Enlightened
I recently got myself an Inova T2 as an every day carry flashlight. I bought it because of the relatively good battery life, decent output, and durability. However, I have recently noticed a problem with the light. If the light get jiggled around too much the batteries seem to get displaced so that the light does not function until they are corrected. For example, tonight I was sprinting at full speed in the dark, and I grabbed the T2 out of my pocket to turn it on to see where I was going, and it wouldn't turn on. I stopped to play with it for a minute to see what was the matter, and it just wouldn't come on unitl I took off the tailcap, took out the batteries, replaced them, and put the tailcap back on. I am now able to reproduce the problem simply by knocking the light against my knee while it is off. If the light is on, the batteries do not move, because of the pressure on the batteries. However, having a light that occasionally will not work is not acceptable. Is this a defect in this particular light, or is this a common problem in all T2s?

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

cslinger

Enlightened
Well I am sitting here shaking the bejuzzus out of my Inova T2s and they seem to work fine. I even whacked them against the table a bit.

I would say you have either a defective light or switch.

Chris

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Hmmm... like all Inovas, T2s are pretty tough. I've dropped mine on concrete. Dinged the tailcap rim -- but no problemo.

Only other thing to try is a different BRAND (and a good brand) of batteries. Otherwise, I'd say the guys above are right: ya got a rare defective one. Send it back.

BBL

Enlightened
is it really the batteries that cause that problem or rather the switch?
I dont know the T2 but cant really imagine how the batteries can come in a position where they have no contact.
Please investigate further.

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened
I have the same problems tith a Hilti Laser 5 month ago.
It was the batteries who makes the problems.I got 4 batteries 1,5V -brand new .two of them makes trouble ,but no problems when change to the other ones .And never problems with the Laser after 5month use and 10 batteries

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make double sure all the contacts are clean, i.e., clean them even if they look clean. I had a similar problem with my Inova X0.

Scott

InovaGuy

Newly Enlightened
I think that I have fixed the problem. Last night I was playing with it some mode, and I figured out exactly how to reproduce the problem, and it worked every time. This morning, as was suggested in this post, I cleaned the contact in the cap (I couldn't find a way to clean the one down at the bottom of the light, I didn't have anything long enough to reach). Now the light seems to be working fine. Previously, the contact in the cap seemed to have a small black ring around the edge, but now it is for the most part gone. Thanks for all of the suggestions adn help.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's remarkable how an otherwise clean looking contact can hide an invisable film which is sometime hard to remove. Alkaline cells seem to be the biggest culprits but The T-2 could have had some manufacturing debris left behind. All contact surfaces should be regularly cleaned, including the cell ends, threads, and switches, if you can get to the parts. I've used the Caig contact treatment with good results and it seems to keep the surfaces from reoxidizing quickly.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Inova seems to have a few problems with dust and other leftovers from the anodizing process getting onto the barrel-switch contact area. I had some occasional intermittant switch/contact problems with both my T lights until I cleaned the end of the body.

Latest posts